Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blasted Shoes again......

in a world of my own... where people are nice and there's lots of honey!

Blasted Shoes again......

Hi

I know... you're sick of discussions about shoes but I can't find the answer to my question anywhere else... probably due to not searching properly but I digress.

I have just bought a pair of lovely black comfortable dance shoes (I've been wearing very sparkly sandals but suffering for it). Whatdo I clean the soles with to keep them lovely and slippy??

Also... 'cos while I'm at it, I might ask the other burning question I have.....I had a terrible time with my feet at Blaze - really painfull on the balls of my feet - any tips on foot care??

ps - thanks Cheeks for sorting them for me - I managed to walk as far a the car on Monday morning!!!

Blog Entries

Re: Blasted Shoes again......

Quote Originally Posted by Mezzosoprano View Post
    I have just bought a pair of lovely black comfortable dance shoes (I've been wearing very sparkly sandals but suffering for it). Whatdo I clean the soles with to keep them lovely and slippy??
    Leather soles? Suede? Rubber?

Hi

I know... you're sick of discussions about shoes but I can't find the answer to my question anywhere else... probably due to not searching properly but I digress.

Also... 'cos while I'm at it, I might ask the other burning question I have.....I had a terrible time with my feet at Blaze - really painfull on the balls of my feet - any tips on foot care??

ps - thanks Cheeks for sorting them for me - I managed to walk as far a the car on Monday morning!!!
    Not sure if this is 'the right thing' to do but if the soles are leather, I take them into the garden and use an old everyday butter knife to scrape off the black sticky stuff. I think it's a mixture of floor polish, spilled drinks and chewing gum.

Suede soles are easy - brush with a wire brush.

For your feet....

Top tip

Get some double strength Ibuprofen gel and spread it liberally over the soles of your feet - do this before you start dancing. Half way through the evening repeat and put on some fresh lower heeled shoes.

I always have some in my dance bag, just ask if you want to try some.

ZW

I know... you're sick of discussions about shoes
    Never!

What sort of soles do they have?

Balls of feet - options are - put comfort insoles if they aren't well padded, change shoes every so often to give your feet a rest, use ibuprofen gel on the balls of your feet.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

This might help.

Ibuprofen gel rocks - kept me dancing through the weekend! Thanks shea for the tip. Although apparently it's no different from standard tablets, just works faster.

Does anyone know why waxing the soles of your shoes is a bad thing? I would have thought that this would make them all nice and slippy

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Leather soles? Suede? Rubber?
    OOops.... leather soles - I've only ever had suede before but these shoes were soooo comfortable I decided to be brave and try something else!!

OOops.... leather soles - I've only ever had suede before but these shoes were soooo comfortable I decided to be brave and try something else!!
    Go out onto the concrete and scrape them clean, either by doing some spins, or just scuffing them up.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Go out onto the concrete and scrape them clean, either by doing some spins, or just scuffing them up.

No no no. Don't do that unless you want to be buying new ones in a few months time. You wouldn't take sandpaper to them to get rid of the dirt so why try to take a layer of leather off to clean them.

Just wash them in the sink. My shoes last me for about 9 months a time and are subjected to some serious abuse. I just clean them under the tap.

Think about what you are actually doing to them if you spin about on a rough surface like concreate, scrape them with a knife or use a wire brush to clean them. You wouldn't do that to a leather jacket or sofa, why do it to your shoes?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    No no no. Don't do that unless you want to be buying new ones in a few months time. You wouldn't take sandpaper to them to get rid of the dirt so why try to take a layer of leather off to clean them.

Just wash them in the sink. My shoes last me for about 9 months a time and are subjected to some serious abuse. I just clean them under the tap.

Think about what you are actually doing to them if you spin about on a rough surface like concreate, scrape them with a knife or use a wire brush to clean them. You wouldn't do that to a leather jacket or sofa, why do it to your shoes?
    Of course if you are at home and can wait for them to dry out... If at a venue, then scuff until the excess is off the leather.

My leather soles normally last up to 3 years. Had the same pair of shoes for 8 years, replaced the whole sole twice now. Use them 5 to 6 days a week.

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

i cant take ibroprofen so i use this step lively

it is amazing and i only need to use it once thoughout the night. I got my tube about a year ago and there is still only a tiny bit out of it an i use it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by drathzel View Post
    i cant take ibroprofen so i use this step lively

it is amazing and i only need to use it once thoughout the night. I got my tube about a year ago and there is still only a tiny bit out of it an i use it all the time.
    Thanks Danielle! I'll give both a try...

Wash them with what? The soles of my leather shoes have this white sort of coating on them which makes them leathal! There is absolutely no grip on them and have already fallen on my bottom twice. Not very dignified

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    Wash them with what? The soles of my leather shoes have this white sort of coating on them which makes them leathal! There is absolutely no grip on them and have already fallen on my bottom twice. Not very dignified
    Soooo, scrape it off, on the concrete This also gives the leather more grip

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Soooo, scrape it off, on the concrete This also gives the leather more grip
    Which will just damage them.

Wash them with water and washing up liquid. Will get them pretty much back to their new condition.

Try it. Scrape one on concreate and wash the other. See what comes up better.

get suede sole shoes Connie

You can keep the leather ones for really sticky floors.

I will Caro. Thought I might be able to wait until the sales in January, but doubt I will survive that long to be honest.

I take it that dance shops DO have january sales

Which will just damage them.

Wash them with water and washing up liquid. Will get them pretty much back to their new condition.

Try it. Scrape one on concreate and wash the other. See what comes up better.

She really will fall on her bum then!

Connie - not sure about the shoes, but I suggest that you start dancing with your arms widespread so that you can grab hold of anything in reach when you go flying

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    She really will fall on her bum then!

Connie - not sure about the shoes, but I suggest that you start dancing with your arms widespread so that you can grab hold of anything in reach when you go flying
    That made me think of the poor bloke I was dancing with on holiday in June, I slipped on the tiled floor and grabbed whatever I could on the way down..... Turned out to be his trousers which ended up around his ankles. He wasn't wearing any boxers...............

Though he didnt seem to mind, he certainly wasnt short of female company for the rest of the trip

That made me think of the poor bloke I was dancing with on holiday in June, I slipped on the tiled floor and grabbed whatever I could on the way down..... Turned out to be his trousers which ended up around his ankles. He wasn't wearing any boxers...............

Though he didnt seem to mind, he certainly wasnt short of female company for the rest of the trip

Be careful, you'll give this lot ideas!

Thread Information