Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boys Toys - Xbox v Wii

Boys Toys - Xbox v Wii

OK .. my first large scale LCD TV arrives next week and I've realised I now need a game station to make my life complete ... this of course totally ignores the fact that I don't have enough time / money / social life etc.

Not too impressed with the PS3 price/games offering but am being seduced by the need to play Halo 3 into the sad hours of the morning. However, the Wii seems to have a new edge.

So, the question to you serious gamers is .. which one would you chose and why?

Commercial Operator

Re: Boys Toys - Xbox v Wii

I wouldn't call myself a serious gamer. But I've considered an XBox, and decided against it. I bought a Wii when they first came out. I've seen no reason to think I made the wrong choice.

So. If you're a graphics junkie, after the best possible quality graphics, get an XBox. No question - there's absolutely no competition. Likewise, the XBox has a much larger library of good games available for it. So if you have loads of time free to play games, and plan on working your way through loads of them, the XBox again is the clear winner.

The Wii on the other hand... there's no doubt that when the controller's used right (which is a tricky thing to do) it makes the world of difference. I've played through Resident Evil 4 with a 'standard' control system, and on the Wii - and the Wii wins hands down. Graphically, they were nearly identical - but on the Wii, it was just so much more fun. Party games - playing tennis or bowling using the Wiimote may not sound all that enthralling, but I've yet to get even slightly bored of it.

Really - the Wii is (to me) all about potential - as developers get to grips with the Wiimote, I think we can expect some quite amazingly original and fun uses for it. XBox should give you more-of-exactly-the-same-only-better. The Wii is looking like giving us lots of fun new things to play with. And I like fun new things.

Finally - Metroid Prime 3 has just come out, and words cannot describe just how good this game is. The control system being a big part of that - I've never played a game that works in quite this fashion before, and I'm loving it.
    And Mario Galaxy is out next month. Which is looking nothing short of amazing...

Can only comment on the Wii as SA has one.

The control system is brilliant and brings a new dimension to gaming - can make it a lot more fun. My view of the Wii is that it's more of 'social' gaming machine than any of the other next gen machines. However the games are aimed at a younger audience IMO, and the graphics are not as strong as a PS3 would be. It's still brilliant fun to have a couple of mates over and watch them swinging away at each other on Wii Boxing though

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    OK .. my first large scale LCD TV arrives next week and I've realised I now need a game station to make my life complete ... this of course totally ignores the fact that I don't have enough time / money / social life etc.

Well first of if you want to try out your new TV (I assume it is high def) then the XBox 360 does 720p at least (up to 1080p) whereas the Wii does 480p tops. The 360 has a fine selection of games that are aimed at more of the "gamer" market (Gears of War, Stranglehold etc.) whereas the Wii aims to more of a casual market.

If you have a lot of friends around often you might want more of a party system (the Wii), if you prefer to game online then the 360 is a clear winner. If you just want to play games solo I'd probably go for the 360 as well.

The PS3 is a really nice console but, as you say, it's games collection is rather limited at the moment and the new one takes away PS2 compatibility as well .

What games do you like playing?

Your lucky I didn't neg rep rep right there and then reading that. Sorry. I hate that term. They are called consoles.

Not too impressed with the PS3 price/games offering but am being seduced by the need to play Halo 3 into the sad hours of the morning. However, the Wii seems to have a new edge.

As for the choice, agreed don't bother with the PS3. Overhyped, overprised tosh.

As for the other two, it depends on what sort of person you are.

XBox is good for your RPG escapades where as the Wii offers an escape from normal controlling methods yet keeping the recognised series and character already loved.

It would be helpful if you gave more detail on what sort of games you like, how much you will be playing on it etc. It's difficult to just suggest one over the other in a situation like this.

I say the Wii but I am not you.

I got rid of my XBOX (old one not the 360) a while back and all it's games.

My friend has a Wii.. they look fun but I have not got the slightest inclination to go out and buy another games console

Quote Originally Posted by killingtime View Post
    What games do you like playing?
    I've tended to be a FPS and strategy games .... fav games are/were Halo, UT2, Conflict Global Storm, COD. However, off the PC I loved Speedball and NHL (PS1). I still see me playing the 'epic' games on my PC, like X3, while the graphics card can cope, but there is something about the Wii that appeals ... probably the fun element.

My kids are so spoilt. They have had all the latest X box's and play stations as soon as they come out. In fact my oldest some has 3 (count them) X box 360's. One at my house, one at his dads and one at his grandparents. I don't buy them, they get them from their dad, who obviously has too much money.

They are getting a Wii for xmas and it's the first one I have shown any interest in, cos it looks like much more fun than just sitting in front of the telly with a controller. I might even join in the fun.

I've tended to be a FPS and strategy games .... fav games are/were Halo, UT2, Conflict Global Storm, COD. However, off the PC I loved Speedball and NHL (PS1). I still see me playing the 'epic' games on my PC, like X3, while the graphics card can cope, but there is something about the Wii that appeals ... probably the fun element.
    Sounds like your an XBox person then. Do you know anyone with a Wii so you can try before you buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    My kids are so spoilt. They have had all the latest X box's and play stations as soon as they come out. In fact my oldest some has 3 (count them) X box 360's. One at my house, one at his dads and one at his grandparents. I don't buy them, they get them from their dad, who obviously has too much money.

They are getting a Wii for xmas and it's the first one I have shown any interest in, cos it looks like much more fun than just sitting in front of the telly with a controller. I might even join in the fun.
    Do it! You will enjoy it. It simply IS more fun.

Well if you are a mouse/keyboard kinda guy then I think the PC is still where FPSs are at and strategy games are definitely still PC games. Maybe move your PC over to your new TV and plug it into the VGA or DVI/HDMI inputs? Even though I have a PS3 and XBox 360 the PC would still be the platform I'd buy UT3 on.

XBox 360 just got Speedball as an Arcade game but I'm yet to give it a go to re-live the memories and I hear the new NHL is awesome.

I hope to have fun with all games but I get what you mean with the Wii. I've enjoyed playing on one but I'm yet to get one myself (mainly because I fall into the solo/online category of game player).

Blog Entries

I wrote to father xmas early last week and requested a Wii...... I think it looks great and not only that my youngest will love it if i should be lucky enough to get one.

Commercial Operator

Well if you are a mouse/keyboard kinda guy then I think the PC is still where FPSs are at and strategy games are definitely still PC games.
    Agreed on both counts. After playing MP3 for a while on the Wii though, I'm amazed by how well the controls work. I don't like playing standard first person shooters with a game controller setup, but the Wiimote / nunchuck setup is far more like it. Still not as good as keyboard / mouse, but superb nonetheless. I would expect / hope that this'll pave the way for more good FPS games to see a Wii release.

Maybe move your PC over to your new TV and plug it into the VGA or DVI/HDMI inputs? Even though I have a PS3 and XBox 360 the PC would still be the platform I'd buy UT3 on.
    Hmmm .. I see a future .... my PC in the lounge connected to a humungous TV screen, me still playing UT3 at silly o'clock in the morning, work remaining unfinished, dishes unwashed .... and no hope of me ever being un-single

Actually, thinking it through, sounds like a fair trade

Commercial Operator

Hmmm .. I see a future .... my PC in the lounge connected to a humungous TV screen, me still playing UT3 at silly o'clock in the morning, work remaining unfinished, dishes unwashed .... and no hope of me ever being un-single

Actually, thinking it through, sounds like a fair trade
    Well - with games like Starcraft 2 looming ever closer, I think any decent RTS fan should think about renewing their vows of celibacy

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

i wanna wii

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Ahem, wii are getting a we (or something like that ) for Christmas and if the kids are lucky, I might let them have a go

Quote Originally Posted by drathzel View Post
    i wanna wii
    But are you willing to forgoe (real) sex for it?

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My sister's got a Wii and at first, when she asked if we all wanted to play a game on it, I thought oh no, it'll be the boy's playing some racing or shooting game but no, we played various games, from very realistic bowling, tennis (the bit that makes me laugh with the tennis, is when you hit the ball wildly, the audience all duck) and boxing, which to everyone's amazement (especially mine) I was actually very good at and beat the lot of 'em hands down!

My son's got a playstation but I'm totally useless on it and the games he has, definitely don't appeal to me in the slightest!

Also, one more bonus with the Wii it's good execise! (especially for preventing middle aged spread Gus)
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Also, one more bonus with the Wii it's good execise! (especially for preventing middle aged spread Gus)
    Bit late for that I'm afraid .... still, ther's always hope.

Having said all that, the Wii does seem to bring gaming to a wider audience ... probably a good way to get my non-gaming mates addicted

Cool Re: Boys Toys - Xbox v Wii

I have both. The Xbox360 is far superior in every sense... unless you play a lot of two player games, then taking turns getting up off the sofa to 'bowl' or 'throw' makes the Wii more of a gaming experience. However, the Wii is sort of like a kids console, with big, bright, cute but low-res graphics.

The little Wii-mote control is a nice way of interacting with the console, but for accuracy it's pretty pants and can get very frustrating, especially if you're drunk

Thread Information