Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boys Toys - Xbox v Wii

Commercial Operator

Re: Boys Toys - Xbox v Wii

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    The little Wii-mote control is a nice way of interacting with the console, but for accuracy it's pretty pants and can get very frustrating, especially if you're drunk
    Got to disagree with you there (apart from the part about being drunk - I've not tried it then) - the wiimote is, for well-executed games, an incredibly precise device.

As for graphics - well - it can't compete with the 360, agreed - but the graphics are still excellent - one has to remember that the graphics on the original XBox, PS2 or Gamecube were extremely good, and it's more powerful than any of them. The yardstick has moved somewhat, is all...

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    I wrote to father xmas early last week and requested a Wii...... I think it looks great and not only that my youngest will love it if i should be lucky enough to get one.
    I want a Wii. I wonder if anyone will be generous enough to buy me one for xmas

However i know Virgin Megastores are selling it for £200 plus a game of your choice. Unlike Game they're selling it for £240 plus a game of your choice. Mind you i found this out last month when my mate and i went Wii hunting for her little bro.

I have both. The Xbox360 is far superior in every sense... unless you play a lot of two player games, then taking turns getting up off the sofa to 'bowl' or 'throw' makes the Wii more of a gaming experience. However, the Wii is sort of like a kids console, with big, bright, cute but low-res graphics.

The little Wii-mote control is a nice way of interacting with the console, but for accuracy it's pretty pants and can get very frustrating, especially if you're drunk
    The Wii is NOT a kids console. And it's accuracy is spot on. Pixel spot on.

This is the sort of opinion that is always developed about Nintendo consoles and often one that is predecided before playing on it. Therefore playing it doesn't change you opinion (sometimes it does though),

Personally I find the XBox360 and especially the PS3 to be simply for the casual gamer who is purely interested on umpth and looks, disregarding any notion of gameplay and innovation.

If your after the latter two (which after 20+ years gaming like I have) should be the option. Thankfully the Wii has started to turn peoples opinions about this.

That reminds me who remembers the OLD nintendos??? They were available in yellow, grey and black. They were like bricks, i use to have one but i don't know what happened to it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Shark View Post
    That reminds me who remembers the OLD nintendos??? They were available in yellow, grey and black. They were like bricks, i use to have one but i don't know what happened to it!!
    The humble gameboy.

(the terminology used on this thread is making me want to tear my hair out)

Anyone remember the old pong machines with the dodgy light guns? THEY are old!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post
    I've found both a latency in fast movements and most games having a larger "hit" area so I'm not quite convinced of that though it could be the games I was playing (Wii Sports and Wii Play mostly).

Personally I find the XBox360 and especially the PS3 to be simply for the casual gamer who is purely interested on umpth and looks, disregarding any notion of gameplay and innovation.
    What? You wouldn't say that the 360 and the PS3 are more geared towards the hardcore gamer and the Wii to the casual? Certainly every study about sales and such agrees with that. I wouldn't also directly correlate good innovation with a solid gameplay experience. I'd also state that though I think there is often too much focus on graphics they aren't a meaningless feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Hmmm .. I see a future .... my PC in the lounge connected to a humungous TV screen, me still playing UT3 at silly o'clock in the morning, work remaining unfinished, dishes unwashed .... and no hope of me ever being un-single
    My TV isn't humungous but I certainly enjoy having my PC connected to it.

The humble gameboy.

(the terminology used on this thread is making me want to tear my hair out)

Anyone remember the old pong machines with the dodgy light guns? THEY are old!
    Thats it GAMEBOY......they were cool!!! Plus the OLD consoles e.g ps1 (i still have that somewhere but never updated) , sega...sonic just rocks!!

Being a car nut, the release of GT5 will end up making me buy a PS3 and probably a HDTV as well. Oh well, at least I'll have a year to save up for it

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by killingtime View Post
    I've found both a latency in fast movements and most games having a larger "hit" area so I'm not quite convinced of that though it could be the games I was playing (Wii Sports and Wii Play mostly).
    Try Metroid Prime 3, Zelda or Mercury Meltdown to name but three - you'll find that utter precision that we're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by killingtime View Post
    What? You wouldn't say that the 360 and the PS3 are more geared towards the hardcore gamer and the Wii to the casual?
    I'd say that the 360 and PS3 are geared for hardcore gamers, yes, but the Wii is somewhat unique in catering for hardcore and casual. It's let down slightly on the hardcore front by a lack of games, but offerings like Resi 4 and MP3 are very much games for the hardcore gamer. What Nintendo generally manages to do though, and what Steven666 is referring to, is to be extremely innovative and experimental in terms of gameplay dynamics - they're the most likely to come out with something radically new, rather than endless refinements on familiiar themes... which is what is mostly happening with the other consoles.[/QUOTE]

I recently sold my XBOX360 and bought a PS3 instead. My view on it is that the XBOX online implementation (Live) is better than on the PS3. Also the PS3 is still behind on good games.

My reasons for switching are that the PS3 supports and has a built in Blu-ray player, and by the middle of next year, there will be more games that I want for the PS3 than the 360. Also, the PS3 has an infinately better build quality. Was worried my 360 would break at any moment!

Don't know much about the Wii, but it certainly appears to be kicking butt at the moment!

Cool Re: Boys Toys - Xbox v Wii

This is the sort of opinion that is always developed about Nintendo consoles and often one that is predecided before playing on it. Therefore playing it doesn't change you opinion (sometimes it does though),
    Wrong! I also have an NES, SNES, N64 and the GameCube. My Wii really reminds me of the SNES Scope games. Brilliant in it's day but somewhat dated now. Whack a mole - squirt juice in rabbits mouths - not kids games - errrm ok!

The controller is not pixel spot on, nor it is easy to get to grips with if you are used to a D pad controller - especially with wrist rotational movements. I think that growing up around Nintendo consoles may also give some people rose tinted specs when looking at their latest offering. I have to say that my SNES is still my favorite cartridge console.

If your after the latter two (which after 20+ years gaming like I have) should be the option. Thankfully the Wii has started to turn peoples opinions about this.
    As I said, I own both, so I do feel qualified to make a comparison. I have also been a gamer for 20+ years. I am not sure how you can talk about the Xbox360 as a casual gamers console.

One thing you can do with both the Wii and the 360 is to access and download games and demos via the net. I got the original R-Types for the Wii and extra tracks for Project Gotham Racing like this as well as some excellent demo games.

Don't get me wrong, the Wii is a cool bit of kit. But if you are after a serious gaming experience with enchanting graphics and a deep level of gameplay... it's the 360 every time. If your looking for a fun box to play with your nephews and nieces on a rainy Sunday afternoon, you can't go wrong with the Wii.

Also note that the Wii will NOT play CDs or DVDs if you're looking for a one box bedroom media solution.

Wrong! I also have an NES, SNES, N64 and the GameCube. My Wii really reminds me of the SNES Scope games. Brilliant in it's day but somewhat dated now. Whack a mole - squirt juice in rabbits mouths - not kids games - errrm ok!
    I note you picked a kids game to discribe there. Every console has kids games. Nintendo's consoles may have more of them then there competition but colourful graphics and characters does not always equal a kids game. Ever played Conkers BFD, or even any Zelda. As for the Superscope, for me that was already dated at the time. I had been playing light gun games for a good while before then yet it didn't mean it was a fun bit of kit.

The controller is not pixel spot on, nor it is easy to get to grips with if you are used to a D pad controller - especially with wrist rotational movements. I think that growing up around Nintendo consoles may also give some people rose tinted specs when looking at their latest offering. I have to say that my SNES is still my favorite cartridge console.
    The control is sooooooo precise it's unreal and extremely comfortable. The wrist control movement requires something called skill. Have you played Mercury MR? Maybe you have just not addapted to it (or just ain't good enough! - soz). There latest offering? You mean MP3:C?

As I said, I own both, so I do feel qualified to make a comparison. I have also been a gamer for 20+ years. I am not sure how you can talk about the Xbox360 as a casual gamers console.
    I own (together with my bro) every console going (except the PS3 for good reason and that's not it's price). It was the Playstation I that tarnished the the console then preceeded to tarnish the XBox. Granted the XBox isn't as affected as the Playstation consoles but the latter were nearly only played by kids wanting to look at graphics or clueless adults lead to Sony via the even more clueless media. Ever seen games media excerts from programmes such as This Morning or in Newspaper articles. It's so misinformed, it's embarassing yet it's what the clueless and the gullable follow. Personally I feel this is the reason why the PS3 is somewhat failing as the media and non-gamers have finally opened their eyes and actually took time to guage the competition (from Nintendo).

One thing you can do with both the Wii and the 360 is to access and download games and demos via the net. I got the original R-Types for the Wii and extra tracks for Project Gotham Racing like this as well as some excellent demo games.
    I played them the first time round and I still feel that PGR was a complete rip of from the Dreamcasts MSR. They should have sued.

Don't get me wrong, the Wii is a cool bit of kit. But if you are after a serious gaming experience with enchanting graphics and a deep level of gameplay... it's the 360 every time. If your looking for a fun box to play with your nephews and nieces on a rainy Sunday afternoon, you can't go wrong with the Wii.
    Sums it up. Graphics do not make a game. Play on Spectrums, Ataris, Acorns, BBC's and then you will see that graphics play no poart whatsoever in making great games. I have always found (especially) Playstation games to be very samey and lack originally from one title to the next. If you have played one game in a genre, you have played them all (have you guessed that I hate Sony yet!).

As for the deep level of gameplay, if you consider that most game in a genre are similar to one another (eg RPG's) then I can't see where that deep level of gameplay is, sorry.

Also note that the Wii will NOT play CDs or DVDs if you're looking for a one box bedroom media solution.
    True but don't almost every household own a DVD player and something that plays CD's? Then you will have two of them! At least the Wii has a good internet interface.

Blog Entries

Behave children or I'll put your toys away for a week!

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    I'll scream and shout and kick and cry!

Commercial Operator

xbox 360 Halo 3 end of debate

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    Try Metroid Prime 3, Zelda or Mercury Meltdown to name but three - you'll find that utter precision that we're talking about.
    Definitely will at some stage when I get a Wii, I've got more games to get through than time to play them when that's less of the case I'll pick one up. As I don't own a Wii myself so I've just played the party games. They've been great fun.

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    I'd say that the 360 and PS3 are geared for hardcore gamers, yes, but the Wii is somewhat unique in catering for hardcore and casual.
    Well, I'd say that the primary audience of the 360 and PS3 are the hardcore and the Wii's the casual gamer. The 360 and PS3 have casual games (Singstar, Bomberman and some of the Playstation Eye games for example).

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    I recently sold my XBOX360 and bought a PS3 instead. My view on it is that the XBOX online implementation (Live) is better than on the PS3. Also the PS3 is still behind on good games.

My reasons for switching are that the PS3 supports and has a built in Blu-ray player, and by the middle of next year, there will be more games that I want for the PS3 than the 360. Also, the PS3 has an infinately better build quality. Was worried my 360 would break at any moment!
    Tell me about it, I tend to buy games for the PS3 over the 360 because it's quieter and much less likely to brick. XBox live is great but the PS3 online support is getting there and, you know, it's free.

The control is sooooooo precise it's unreal and extremely comfortable. The wrist control movement requires something called skill. Have you played Mercury MR? Maybe you have just not addapted to it (or just ain't good enough! - soz). There latest offering? You mean MP3:C?
    Ah, insulting people. Always a great way to argue. You don't come across much as a Nintendo fanboy at all. I think, with regards to "their latest offering" he means the Wii.

Sums it up. Graphics do not make a game. Play on Spectrums, Ataris, Acorns, BBC's and then you will see that graphics play no poart whatsoever in making great games.
    And stating that graphics don't play a part in gameplay isn't true either. I don't think a shiny engine makes a good game but I do think that it can play a major role. Take BioShock, it's got a strong narrative and great art and sound direction but the whole feel could have easily been ruined by using an engine that had no lighting model or people that looked like they were made out of 30 polygons.

I have always found (especially) Playstation games to be very samey and lack originally from one title to the next. If you have played one game in a genre, you have played them all (have you guessed that I hate Sony yet!).
    I'm sure you are looking forward to Okami coming out on the Wii then . A lot of games lack originality, sometimes that's not a hugely bad thing they take a tested model and perfect it. Innovation is great and I've no doubt that the Wii will do some great things with its controller but I don't think, for one minute, that Wii == Innovation and Other Consoles == Stagnant. How would you really say, beyond a different controller, Metroid Prime Corruption really differs from Metroid Prime 1 or 2?

As for the deep level of gameplay, if you consider that most game in a genre are similar to one another (eg RPG's) then I can't see where that deep level of gameplay is, sorry.
    Yeah, I agree. Getting some bombs and a boomerang in Zelda for the 700 time can feel the same as all the previous games in the series.

At least the Wii has a good internet interface.
    Unless you want to play games online.

Quote Originally Posted by clevedonboy View Post
    xbox 360 Halo 3 end of debate
    Over-hyped as far as I'm concerned. I'd recommend The Orange Box or a selection of other FPSs over it any day. Then again I haven't played the multiplayer yet and apparently that's where it is at but I've got Team Fortress 2 and Enemy Territory for a sound multiplayer FPS experience anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post

Commercial Operator

Whack a mole - squirt juice in rabbits mouths - not kids games
    Well - if you buy kids games, you play kids games. Is this all you bought for the Wii? You're missing out on some great stuff...

The controller is not pixel spot on
    Mine is. Perhaps your controller or your console are faulty?

Thread Information