Thread: Racial Steriotyping

Racial Steriotyping

I have just witnessed a loud-mouthed, agitated, extremely aggressive Maori junkie walk into a barber shop causing no end of trouble get the living sh1t kicked out of him in a casual and efficient manner by a smallish, nuggety Eastern European barber with very broken English and a bottle of spirits on his desk.

Society tells me I shouldn't laugh, but am I really wrong to find that funny?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: Racial Steriotyping

Quote Originally Posted by NZ Monkey View Post
    I have just witnessed a loud-mouthed, agitated, extremely aggressive Maori junkie walk into a barber shop causing no end of trouble get the living sh1t kicked out of him in a casual and efficient manner by a smallish, nuggety Eastern European barber with very broken English and a bottle of spirits on his desk.

probably not

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    probably not
    however the being physically aggressive part that doesn't seem funny!!

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't know....

I've just walked through the park and seen, 1 young black man, dressed in sports wear, bouncing along to music on his headphones.. 2 old men sitting on a bench, reading papers. A group of old ladies, with varying sized dogs and woolly hats, huddled together and chatting loudly. A young man doing Tai chi and lastly an enormous fat man, with the smallest dog ever.

The last one made 'me' giggle but why and, am I wrong?
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Society tells me I shouldn't laugh...
    Does it?

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I've just walked through the park and seen, 1 young black man, dressed in sports wear, bouncing along to music on his headphones.. 2 old men sitting on a bench, reading papers. A group of old ladies, with varying sized dogs and woolly hats, huddled together and chatting loudly. A young man doing Tai chi and lastly an enormous fat man, with the smallest dog ever.

The last one made 'me' giggle but why and, am I wrong?
    I see sights every day that make me laugh out loud. Today for example I noticed, not for the first time, a black man with an afro comb actually sticking out of his afro, as if it's some kind of fashion accessory. I've also wondered for some time now, why those low slung trousers with the crotch hanging by the knee area, don't fall down. What's that all about?

Don't know. Why are you laughing? What aspect do you find funny?Tell us more. Very interesting.

When I was in Sydney I saw a very small Lebanese (looking) guy with white shirt and black trousers (looked like a waiter) attacking a big white biker looking guy. He was throwing a good looking kick at him and in the free style "ready to rock" stance. He was shouting "Come on then". The context was suggestive of the biker intimidating the Lebanese guy who then reacted but I didn't see that.The latter looked really scared. It was clear that the little guy was a TKD/ Korean style karate practitioner and I would say he was a black belt. A young girl said something like "he probably deserved it". From a martial arts point of view it was very interesting. Classic skilled martial artist who was very small (about 5 foot 3 or 4) against a 14 stone, young six footer who in any other context would look really hard. I was quite fascinated but I guess that was wrong and I felt a bit ashamed.

The police came about 5 minutes later by which time the opponents had well cleared off. The cop rushed out of the car and some guy said something like "They're gone" and shut the car door on him!

It was hillarious.

Am I wrong?

Cool Re: Racial Stereotyping

The Maori was lucky not to get his ear sliced off with a cut throat! Sounds like the barber was very restrained in the circumstances! I'm sure it was a hilarious spectacle

---

I once heard a story about a guy who did martial arts in New York. He was on a subway train going to his class and there was a guy who was getting more and more agitated. When this agitated guy pulled out a knife and started waving it around and yelling at people he decided that he needed to step in and floor this aggressive guy before someone got hurt.

Before he had a chance to beat this knife wielding nutter to the ground, his martial arts teacher (who he hadn't noticed was also on the train carriage) stood in front of the aggressive guy and said something pretty quietly to him. The aggressive guy dropped is arm down and sat back into his seat. The instructor sat next to him and within a couple of minutes knife guy was crying on the teacher's shoulder.

The student was impressed, and when he got chance later asked the teacher what he said to the guy to scare him into such complete submission. The teacher replied, that he said.... "tell me what's wrong". He'd lost his wife and his job in the same week, and all he really needed a damn good listening to. Grasshopper: Always use your mind before you use your fists.

Re: Racial Stereotyping

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    I once heard a story about a guy who did martial arts in New York. He was on a subway train going to his class and there was a guy who was getting more and more agitated. When this agitated guy pulled out a knife and started waving it around and yelling at people he decided that he needed to step in and floor this aggressive guy before someone got hurt.

Before he had a chance to beat this knife wielding nutter to the ground, his martial arts teacher (who he hadn't noticed was also on the train carriage) stood in front of the aggressive guy and said something pretty quietly to him. The aggressive guy dropped is arm down and sat back into his seat. The instructor sat next to him and within a couple of minutes knife guy was crying on the teacher's shoulder.

The student was impressed, and when he got chance later asked the teacher what he said to the guy to scare him into such complete submission. The teacher replied, that he said.... "tell me what's wrong". He'd lost his wife and his job in the same week, and all he really needed a damn good listening to. Grasshopper: Always use your mind before you use your fists.
    Thats interesting, heard the same story some 15 years ago .. except it was set on the Tokyo tube system ... another urban myth but with a salient lesson nevertheless. Must admit that most of the people I know who did martial arts have used their mouth to solve problems more than their fists.

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    Don't know. Why are you laughing? What aspect do you find funny?Tell us more. Very interesting.
    I find it's quite rarely that you actually meet people who seem to fit sterotypes well. I can only think of one gay guy I've ever met who acts like a limp wristed fairy for instance.

It's got to be even rarer to not only see two in the same room, let alone two actually having a go at each other in a steriotypical fashion.

It looked like something out of a gangster movie. That sort of thing is extremely unusual in the real world. That's what I found funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Stokebloke
    While I've heard a number of versions of that story myself, and there is definitely an element of truth in the message, the aggressor in this instance is at least capable of rational thought.

Someone high as a kite on pure methylamphetamines is living on their own planet with it's own inconsistent logic. It's possible to talk them down, but to someone in a "sane" state of mind it can be very hard to empathise with what they're thinking. Just ask any of your friendly law enforcement officers. Your average Joe on the street usually doesn't have the experience of dealing with delusional nutters that really helps with these people.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    Must admit that most of the people I know who did martial arts have used their mouth to solve problems more than their fists.
    And for good reason. Fighting is stupid, and dangerous. Even if you are a lot better than the other guy* luck still plays a part and it can go very badly very quickly. Getting smacked around at training for years hurts enough for most people to not want to do it for real if it's avoidable.

*Which is not often the case. Assuming they're the aggressor - they picked YOU, and you can bet they've not picked a fight they don't think they can win. Aggressive people (while unimpaired anyway) are usually pretty good at sizing others up.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    I see sights every day that make me laugh out loud. Today for example I noticed, not for the first time, a black man with an afro comb actually sticking out of his afro, as if it's some kind of fashion accessory.
    I bet he's still looking for it now!

Thread Information