Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Signals and Manspins!! AHHH

Re: Signals and Manspins!! AHHH

Quote Originally Posted by Obi's Sweat Band View Post
    Moves with complex footwork are also far from leadable.
    when I read that I wondered how long it would take to DJ to talk about the...

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    "Columbian"
    the answer was 13 minutes, not bad

The manspin "signal" is only useful as a signal to inexperienced followers who still need extra clues from inexperienced leads as to what is required. Otherwise, it acts as a little bit of style and "prep". I don't recall it ever being taught primarily as a signal.

The neck-break signal is also in some senses a prep, but is commonly taught as a signal first, and a prep second. As a signal, it is totally unnecessary. As a prep, it is premature. Let's not talk about its style...
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    Did you mean to say this? How exactly were you planning on leading a half moon or star jump? In particular, how do you lead a star jump so the follow knows it isn't a toss to chair?
    Chair?

I reckon the Half Loop and Star Jump are leadable. Good firm grasp of the hips and off we go...

Seriously though, you can lead a lady, who has done them before without a signal or the need to shout the name of the move at her.

Not to be tried with inexperienced dancers though of course. Don't try this at home kids. Be safe...

Chair?
    A chair is like a star jump, but the woman goes up straight, and a lot higher, and ends up sitting on one hand overhead. The entry is indistinguishable from that for a star jump.

I reckon the Half Loop and Star Jump are leadable. Good firm grasp of the hips and off we go...

Seriously though, you can lead a lady, who has done them before without a signal or the need to shout the name of the move at her.
    Lead them on Lily. Do, please. I want to watch.

Commercial Operator

The AT community is going to be devastated to find out about that one... So are all the Lindy & Balboa (and probably WCS) dancers and all the others who are under the (obviously false) illusion they improvise and lead complex footwork on the fly**....

**Probably a slightly flat and very dead fly
    Last edited by straycat; 30th-October-2007 at 06:05 PM.

A chair is like a star jump, but the woman goes up straight, and a lot higher, and ends up sitting on one hand overhead. The entry is indistinguishable from that for a star jump.

Next time I see you big man, I'll give it a go.

Surprisingly difficult to find a decent clip of a chair on YouTube, so here's a more extreme version:

Note the entry...

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    The AT community is going to be devastated to find out about that one... So are all the Lindy & Balboa (and probably WCS) dancers and all the others who are under the (obviously false) illusion they improvise and lead complex footwork on the fly**....

I know precious little about those dances. I'll stick to the lack of complexity in Modern Jive footwork and the subsequent difficulties in leading more advanced footwork within the Modern Jive framework/ environment.

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post

I'd rep you but I need to spread the love more...

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi's Sweat Band
    The AT community is going to be devastated to find out about that one...
    But stray, my dear fellow, we don't lead "moves". We meld our complex and powerful emotions with the evocative, tantalising music and so produce a moving testament to the pain and joy that is life. I thought you'd realised that.

Never mind AT (different lead/follow dynamic to MJ): I'm staggered at how much footwork a good MJ dancer can lead. Damned if I can do it, but Nelson Rose can lead the most amazing combinations with just a one hand connection. He's led me through some complex, syncopated stuff before, in a vain effort to enable me to learn to do the same, and I can testify that the lead is clear and compelling.

The "glider" isn't an aerial: see Modern Jive :: Glider :: Brief Description (if you can understand those diagrams - I never can!).
    Like this then?
    Doug Silton - one handed swingout

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    the answer was 13 minutes, not bad
    Well, you know, when you only have 6 moves in your repertoire...

Blog Entries

Me too.
    From a safe distance.
    In fact, remotely.
    In fact, on a prerecorded DVD.
    From the moon.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JonD View Post
    But stray, my dear fellow, we don't lead "moves". We meld our complex and powerful emotions with the evocative, tantalising music and so produce a movin?g testament to the pain and joy that is life. I thought you'd realised that.
    We do?
    Christ, I wish someone'd told me that.

Quote Originally Posted by JonD View Post
    Never mind AT (different lead/follow dynamic to MJ): I'm staggered at how much footwork a good MJ dancer can lead. Damned if I can do it, but Nelson Rose can lead the most amazing combinations with just a one hand connection. He's led me through some complex, syncopated stuff before, in a vain effort to enable me to learn to do the same, and I can testify that the lead is clear and compelling.
    Exactly.

My belief is that a sufficiently good lead should be able to lead pretty any move* on a follower, assuming that the follower can follow to the basic level required by that dance - they need to know the basic rules of the dance, but that's it.

* Excepting lifts and weird choreographed things...

For the manspin I use it for a prep to get momentum for a double or triple spin but for the neckbreak I sometimes don't even bother with it simply as it really isn't needed. Your left hand/arm is doing all the work.

But the "signals" do help lessor experienced dancers know what is about to happen though.

"Signals" - nope... I sometimes actually leave my arm "in the way" on a man spin so I can use my elbow to lead the follower as they come round and I can get a sharper movement or lead a double turn out.

the 'signal' for a man spin is as any other visual signal, like following the lead's torso... it's just very, very obvious. I think that every visual signal should be as subtle as you can make it for the follower to pick up on; therefore I only tend to use the scyth-arm on beginners who are feeling lost.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    Nah, the glider is a "horrible" move -- it relys on the lady mirroring your movements *when you don't have a handhold*.

The move is basically both partners dancing "aeroplanes" facing each other, i.e. both with arms out -- cicrling about a shared central axis. First half a turn clockwise, then half a turn anticlockwise.

It used to be rare -- it may now be endangered like the spring-lock, or very possibly extinct
    SpinDr

Quote Originally Posted by spindr View Post
    Nah, the glider is a "horrible" move -- it relys on the lady mirroring your movements *when you don't have a handhold*.
    Oh, like a no-handed swingout?
    They're kinda cool.
    Look ma! I'm leading with my chest!

The Oracle

The move is basically both partners dancing "aeroplanes" facing each other, i.e. both with arms out -- cicrling about a shared central axis. First half a turn clockwise, then half a turn anticlockwise.
    Purely visual lead while maintaining a flashlight position - sounds like modern WCS nirvana.

Blog Entries

Oh God, yes - I know the one you're talking about. Flashback....

Leadable? Yes, certainly, why not? I've led followers for entire dances in MJ with no physical contact, I'm sure many others have to. Easily leadable, no - but leadable, yes.

Thread Information