Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Halloween should it be money /sweets or pull the curtains or the rifle ?

Halloween should it be money /sweets or pull the curtains or the rifle ?

One year I gave money to the kids when I lived in Slough

Big mistake got people coming from Belgium soon after

The next year same house hardly anyone came ??

This year its got to be just sweets

I like the kids who have made an effort who are accompanied by a parent

I don’t like the 15 yr old on a bike who just puts his hand out etc

I’m going of course make sure my car is wired to the power grid so any ‘youth’ who wants to key my car gets a shock

What do people do on this night ?

Ps its tomorrow (31/10) if people don’t know

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Re: Halloween should it be money /sweets or pull the curtains or the rifle ?

we had our first last night but it was really sweet. We gave them some money and in return we could pick a little sweet or chocolate bar from there little mystery bag.

Well done to those parents!

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Me, sis and the kids all get dressed up and go out, but we only knock on doors that have decorated for the occasion.

Always sweets, not money.

This year I will be sporting a pair of ghosty ear muffs and Michele will be wearing a witchy pair.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think there's a "code" around my place, a lit pumpkin means you're open for business, otherwise it means you're not. Fairly straightforward I think...

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    This year I will be sporting a pair of ghosty ear muffs and Michele will be wearing a witchy pair.
    Make sure no one messes with your muffs, that's my advice.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    I think there's a "code" around my place, a lit pumpkin means you're open for business, otherwise it means you're not. Fairly straightforward I think...

Make sure no one messes with your muffs, that's my advice.
    LOL - i didn't know i had any until just a minute ago.(muffs that is) !!! - Ive got the kids new sweet holders this year. Asda have some great gear for the kids.

this is a bright orange bag with a handle on top that has a torch on it. Kids can see where they are going (they will love it). Mind you £3 a bag.

Me, sis and the kids all get dressed up and go out, but we only knock on doors that have decorated for the occasion.
    What do you mean like a sign on the front door , kids welcome ??

I like the idea of giving money for sweets , you have to haven't you, one wouldn't want to upset them

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post

Ps its tomorrow (31/10) if people don’t know
    I'll be dancing at Clapham - they've got a Halloween party. Hope some people do do fancy dress - not like Christmas where almost no-one bothered to dress up I'll have my green nail varnish on and black lipstick - wonder how many dances I'll get

As for Trick or Treating... I usually forget it's Halloween anyway, so would never have anything suitable to give to kids if they did knock. And (putting grumpy old woman's hat on), I never did it when I was a child, and it's an American import so don't see why I should! (Although I don't think that I've ever actually had anyone knock on my door anyway.)

Hmph bah humbug (sorry, wrong festival).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    I never did it when I was a child, and it's an American import so don't see why I should!
    Actually, although the term "trick or treat" seems to have originated in America, I think you'll find that the practice comes from medieval traditions in the UK.

it's an American import so don't see why I should!.
    Oooohh.. have to pull you up on that one dear.. it's actually an Irish/Scottish EXPORT ! We gave Guising to America. We used to carve turnips.. but being Americans turnips were in short supply they used pumpkins.

Halloween.. The Hallowed Eve is/was an important spiritual festival in celtic lands.

yes, trick or treating is very much American.. but going round doors singing a song, telling a joke or doing another party piece in return for apples, sweets etc is very much from this side of the Atlantic.

sorry

EDIT Gav beat me

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Actually, although the term "trick or treat" seems to have originated in America, I think you'll find that the practice comes from medieval traditions in the UK.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    yes, trick or treating is very much American.. but going round doors singing a song, telling a joke or doing another party piece in return for apples, sweets etc is very much from this side of the Atlantic.

sorry

EDIT Gav beat me
    Doesn't alter the fact that I never did it as a kid though... and it died out here before the American's reimported our own arcane traditions back to us. Must be a reason it died out after all

Americans - always behind the times

Doesn't alter the fact that I never did it as a kid though... and it died out here before the American's reimported our own arcane traditions back to us. Must be a reason it died out after all

Americans - always behind the times

But it never died out in Scotland .. it was never a big thing in England as far as I'm aware. i remember some English cousins coming up when i was in school and being totally baffled by the idea of dressing up and going round the streets.

The Celts Led the way.. the Americans Followed.. and the English plodded along behind.

English... always behind the Americans !

Doesn't alter the fact that I never did it as a kid though...
    Neither did I, but times change and you gotta keep up. My kids would never forgive me if I didn't let them dress up and go out trick or treating. As a parent I think it's better to join in than to say "Didn't do it in my day...you're not doing it".

I can just hear them in twenty years time if I didn't "You never let us do anything...everyone else got to go out trick or treating"

But it never died out in Scotland .. it was never a big thing in England as far as I'm aware. i remember some English cousins coming up when i was in school and being totally baffled by the idea of dressing up and going round the streets.

The Celts Led the way.. the Americans Followed.. and the English plodded along behind.

Still not doing it!

Neither did I, but times change and you gotta keep up. My kids would never forgive me if I didn't let them dress up and go out trick or treating. As a parent I think it's better to join in than to say "Didn't do it in my day...you're not doing it".

I can just hear them in twenty years time if I didn't "You never let us do anything...everyone else got to go out trick or treating"
    Fair enough - you've got kids, I haven't. And it's certainly safer than them trying to do it by themselves. But if it's not something you've ever done, and you don't have kids, you don't tend to be as aware of it.

Might also be a London thing - I've rarely seen it done where I live (not just now, but over the last 20 odd years). Of course someone else will now post that it happens all the time where they live

Just out of curiousity, what sort of tricks do you/the kids pull if you don't get a treat? Or does that not happen?

Still not doing it!
    Fairy nuff

Same here. it was fun when Kids did something entertaining and got sweets or something. but now they knock on your door, demand some money and wander off.

it's not the same any more.

When i was back home we used to decorate the front porch, set up atmospheric lighting and my Sister would dress up to "greet" the guisers as they entered.

They would do their party pieces then a white gloved hand would emerge from a small wooden box on the table with a handful of sweets for the kids.. Very much in the Addams Family "Thing" manner..

And yes.. I was always the mug that had to hide behind the fake wall with the bowls of sweets, nuts etc and poke my hand up through a hole in the back of the box

Even in Aberdeen, My Halloween parties were usually epic events. Lots of time and effort in making the outfits and decorating the house.

Halloween is one of my favourite holidays .. alas the magic is going out of it now

Just out of curiousity, what sort of tricks do you/the kids pull if you don't get a treat? Or does that not happen?
    The trick this year is my kids masks, which have a hand held control. If you press the botton it lights up and lets out a scream and an evil laugh. All good fun.

Our local shops wont sell eggs and flour to teenagers this time of year. I think its great with the little kids, when they are accompanied by adults do it, but the teenagers demading money, or an egg in the face spoil it for everyone.

Oooohh.. have to pull you up on that one dear.. it's actually an Irish/Scottish EXPORT ! We gave Guising to America. We used to carve turnips.. but being Americans turnips were in short supply they used pumpkins.

Halloween.. The Hallowed Eve is/was an important spiritual festival in celtic lands.

sorry

EDIT Gav beat me
    You've just brought back some very happy memories ! I grew up in Dundee, we used to go guising, but it was always singing etc & only the local neighbours, & never the 'trick' side of things which came over from America... A totally distinct practice I think.
    I'll be out dancing...

Blog Entries

Ahem, the practice of "souling", that is dressing up in costumes and going door to door receiving food in exchange for prayers comes from medieval England and is just as old, if not older than Guising.

Bl00dy Celts and Americans, always trying to steal our thunder.

Blog Entries

The trick this year is my kids masks, which have a hand held control. If you press the botton it lights up and lets out a scream and an evil laugh. All good fun.

Our local shops wont sell eggs and flour to teenagers this time of year. I think its great with the little kids, when they are accompanied by adults do it, but the teenagers demading money, or an egg in the face spoil it for everyone.
    and if that doesn't work me and my sister pull our tops up over our head and jump up and down. Frightens the s5it out of em.

I'll be dancing at Clapham - they've got a Halloween party. Hope some people do do fancy dress - not like Christmas where almost no-one bothered to dress up I'll have my green nail varnish on and black lipstick - wonder how many dances I'll get
    Bottle of champagne for the best dressed I hear.

Thread Information