Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Blaze II - aftermath

Mrs Pretzelmeister

Re: Blaze II - aftermath

Right, since I'm supposed to be doing something else I'll do this instead...

The Good:
    A good start to the weekend when my ageing but capacious car made it all the way to Ayr filled with two seasoned weekenders, one intermediate and one total novice, plus associated baggage, sleeping bags, quilts & pillows, kitchen equipment and most importantly, CAKE!

On that subject - PMJD's chocolate marble cheesecake

Summoning up the nerve to wear an item of clothing which has been in my wardrobe for over 5 years but never yet been worn due to lack of confidence on my part, and being complimented on it. Thanks to Yliander for tying me securely into it

I'm one of the few who likes the earlier finishes as it means I have the energy to appreciate the classes. I did two-and-a-half this weekender which is an improvement on previous attempts. I love Blaze for the fact it's smaller so the classes are more manageable. It also feels more relaxed, less pressured, less manic - BUT still as entertaining.

The caravan was basic but warm enough and the kitchen well-equipped (unlike Southport). It was very close to the venue and had its own parking space so no lugging stuff across wet grass like last time.

Fab caravan mates, and having other people do the catering! Thanks to McJester and CMS

Having felt rather flat all day Saturday, Lucky coaxed me into dancing after I'd watched their entire class without participating: feeling the clouds lift.

Little Monkey's carrot cake

Jamie's wiggle

The weather: really wasn't as bad as it could have been! It was a bit blustery but only very wet for a short spell on Saturday night, as far as I noticed. Sunday morning was gloriously clear & sunny, and the temperatures were mild. (Since I'm usually the first to be muffled up at the merest hint of cold, it really can't have been that bad).

Did I mention PMJD's chocolate marble cheesecake?

The Bad (but not really very bad):
    Difficult to find the Boudoir, not a lot of atmosphere about it once we did. A nuisance to have to change out of dance shoes to get up to the main room.

Feeling kinda flat - this Blaze came at the end of a hectic week and I wasn't feeling tiptop.

The absence of some favourite dancers

The Fab:
    Michael and Jennifer's showcase. Just wow.

Lucky & Ruby's Flip Flop & Fly class (excepting FH's bump!) - only slight drawback was feeling so fried from concentrating so hard that I couldn't go straight into the Fishing class - could really intense classes be spaced out a bit please?

and The Heavenly:

Dances - lots, but especially memorable with Rhythm King, PM, RobD and the utterly divine Lucky

A HUGE thank you to Franck, Sheena and all the team who worked so hard to make it a fab weekend for everyone.

Blog Entries

Blaze II:

The Good

* The guest teachers: all very friendly and approachable in addition to providing excellent classes. I enjoyed getting to practise some WCS again and add a bit more to what I'd learned before, as well as trying out some new moves in Ballroom Blues and Fishing (which I hadn't planned to join in with), plus the dance jam - very surreal!
    * Jennifer partnered me at one point when I was out of the rotation and asked if I'd done WCS before, which I have a little; she then told me I was awesome, go girl! (Yes I know they were the most basic footwork patterns, but I like it up here on my cloud )
    * Dancewear of Edinburgh - that man is a legend and can fit shoes to your feet perfectly just by looking at them (no mean feat with my feet, 'scuse the pun) so I managed to come home with not one, but two new pairs of dance shoes.
    * The Forum Awards and Cabaret - Lucky and Ruby performed a great routine, quickly followed by Michael and Jennifer's Din Da Da... one word... WOW! Absolutely amazing to see live and whilst getting a shoulder massage from Gadget, does it get any better?
    * Darren's after-party party was somewhat of an education... drinking, chilling and dancing till dawn in a caravan with a crazy but lovely bunch of forumites - it was so nice to meet & dance with you all - thank you for helping me pull my first dance all-nighter.
    * Early morning dancing at Ceroc o'clock with the Nine... you know who you are... especially memorable was DT with Jamie and Caz and the alternative Din Da Da cabaret; Jamie, I'm truly impressed at your repertoire of clubbing moves - what a shame we didn't get a chance to perform - BRRRRA!
    * Sunday night was the best night's dancing for me. I found my "mojo" and had some fab dances. I not only got to dance with Michael but also with Lucky, with whom I got to experience true "fishing" and truly floated off the dance floor - magical!
    * I got lots of lovely compliments over the weekend, both personal and dance-related, so thank you for them.
    * An insane amount of cake! (I did try to be good and only had a few pieces. )
    * Heating in the Gold caravan! So good to come home and not be hit by a chilly air inside. Well worth the extra money for this and the extra bathroom.
    * Thanks to firefly, Alan and Ann for being great roommates, keeping me entertained and putting up with my random blethering!

The Not So Good
    * Getting there on Friday - hitting Glasgow at rush hour, NavMan taking me on a detour through Ayrshire countryside...fords and farmyards were not on the agenda. Nuff said.
    * Having to constantly assure people that I hadn't had a bad accident with a kitchen knife - it was just my excema playing up and a bandage turned out to be the only way of securing a dressing on my hand.
    * Some of the class descriptions were misleading - Michael and Jennifer's classes were WCS and IMO should have been billed as such. From the descriptions given I was expecting more general footwork/technique type classes and while it wasn't a problem for me, I know of people who chose not to go on Saturday but would have if they'd realised it was WCS, and who planned to do the advanced classes on Sunday but then couldn't once it became apparent it was WCS.
    * I didn't really get into the swing of things on Saturday night. I just wasn't in the right zone and this was partly due to a painful knot in my back; big thanks to Cheeks for fixing me, you're amazing honey!
    * Wind and horizontal rain when we left the venue on Saturday night - what was that all about?! I know it was the west coast of Scotland at the end of October, but even so... got absolutely soaked and ended up sooo cold... brrratatatatatatatatatatatata!
    * Having to come home - I really didn't want to leave and come back to the real world.

In short, Blaze II did what it said on the mug - a Ceroc Escape filled with dance, laughter and memories. Thanks to everyone involved in making it happen. Can't wait for the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    17 (longer than normal) classes and having involuntarily missed classes .

I wish more southerly weekenders would pick up the same volume of teaching time.
    Sorry checked again and it was only 14 classes, but we were not coping with the WCS footwork or we would have done more.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    Just love your spelling of Frankc Stokie
    It was a sort of an in joke Minnie, like the spelling of Jaimie... OK it wasn't funny I guess you had to be there

OMG Blaze was FANTASTIC!!! Bounce Bounce Bounce.. yeah I am still really really hyper!!!

Lots has been said already about it so I won't repeat stuff but blooming amazing weekend!

Met loads of forumites including ShinyWeeStar - fabulous follower, PMJD, Dazzler - now to be known as the party king, Cheeks, Dreadful Scathe, Russell Saxby etc etc.. I have probable forgotten loads of people but wow... to you all

Have to say a special thanx to McJester for my massage and for realigning my shoulders on Saturday night..

Ooo and thanx to everyone for the cakes

Loved the inflatable area in the corner Franck and team! perfect to get some of the hyperness out of us hyper ones!

Shame about the 2 a.m. finishes but as mentioned above it meant that everyone was out dancing at the same time and allowed us to have the after parties!

Respect to Franck for the waffles at the after parties... and to Dazzler for the "I have never laughed so much in my life" after party! Special mention to Barmpot for keeping us all so entertained with his randomness - we love ya!

Must mention the beach trip Friday night with Lucky, Ruby, Jamie and Dee - brilliant but very cold!

Can't say which was my best night - it was all amazing...

Classes - only did 2 - Lucky and Ruby's Flip Flop and Fly - like the Flip and Flop but couldn't get the confidence for the Fly! And Fishing - WOW WOW WOW would definitely do this class again.. really enjoyed leading it too - thanks to all the ladies who let me lead them... the energy in that class was phenomenal.. Me and Jamie micro bluesed last night and the energy that produces is just wow. Loved the "puddle" at end of class too..... Wow (again) Lucky and Ruby you are fantastic! Enjoyed my dance with you Lucky on Sunday night... just wish I had the personal confidence to ask Ruby now...

Got to lead lots of people esp thanx to Rachel for our dance - must dance with you again babe

Yeah the caravans were cold but me and Jamie had the bright idea to sleep (when we did sleep ) in the living room on the sofas where the heating was!

Jamie did tell me that Blaze was his favourite weekender cos it was different and chilled out and yeah, I have to agree, amazing dances, lots of chill out time hanging out with friends and lots of fun times and memories.....

Miss you all and roll on Blaze III!!!!!!

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

I had a brilliant time Lots of fabulous dances, great laughs and with a great team (thanks Nix) helping out, I had more time to enjoy everything

Just want to say a huge thankyou to the set up crew, Mac, Stokebloke, Twirlie Bird, Eve, Barnpot, Marc and especially Dazzler, who must have moved about 300 chairs and tables on Thursday night, despite already being exhausted (and getting texts from Inverness telling him how lucky he was to be at Blaze a day earlier than the rest of them ) and to Gadget, who helped him move the rest of them on Friday morning

The cabarets were awesome, Franck's reaction (and his own interpretation of them later ) was just as good.

Great to see DS and Fi and congrats to all the forum award winners

I think everything else has already been said, roll on Blaze III
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Osteopath is booked again!

I had a really great time. Big'up to Franck, Sheena, Nath and all the teachers, for organising a superb event.

It was fantastic to see all my old friends from Inverness - - so thanks to all for being so warm and friendly. I was overwhelmed by how pleased people were to see me. Especially Laura Smith - she knows

It is always fab to be back in Scotland though the weather was doing nothing for my hat - LOL

Loved the music - the sets by Tiggerbabe, Marc, Rachel and many others - just top stuff.

Thanks for all the wonderful dances, especially drathzel, Lory and Twirlie.

Cheers to Caz for letting me do Flip flop fly - we got soo close to getting all the way around on the third one!! LOL - I will get it. Anyone fancy spotting at Blackpool - LOL

The caravan parties added a new dimension to the fun! As did watching DS's EQ t-shirt - embrace your inner geek!

I can't bake but I can eat and I have to say the cakes were fab!

I can completely go with the M&J thing - the brrrrrat! was awesome.

Thanks to Ruby for putting up with my insesant questioning - I look forward to seeing you and Lucky in Blackpool *(run away now!!)

Fav classes - Fishing, Flip flop fly, Wiggles (I am getting all my female friends to learn the comb christina ). Turning the lights off is an inspired idea.

Fair enough to say I was stretched and decompacted by my osteopath yesterday. Everything is fine but she is booked again for next week - YAY maybe not.

Lets do it all again in Blackpool - see you there!

Re: Osteopath is booked again!

Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    I had a really great time. Big'up to Franck, Sheena, Nath and all the teachers, for organising a superb event.

Loved the music - the sets by Tiggerbabe, Marc, Rachel and many others - just top stuff.

Cheers to Caz for letting me do Flip flop fly - we got soo close to getting all the way around on the third one!! LOL - I will get it. Anyone fancy spotting at Blackpool - LOL

The caravan parties added a new dimension to the fun! As did watching DS's EQ t-shirt - embrace your inner geek!

I can completely go with the M&J thing - the brrrrrat! was awesome.
    Thanx Dave
    Really enjoyed my first aerials class... Me and Jamie were flipping and flopping last night.. he sooo wanted to fly me but i was a little nervous!! LOL

Completely agree with all your other comments.. i have not been able to stop going bbbbrrratttt all day!! LOL...

Forgot to mention some fab dances with Gadget - love your style and want more dances with you next time!

Hate being back at work.... Just wish I was coming to Blackpool now but work might get a bit peeved if I have more time off.....

Re: Osteopath is booked again!

Quote Originally Posted by Caz View Post
    Hate being back at work.... Just wish I was coming to Blackpool now but work might get a bit peeved if I have more time off.....

can't you come after work do Friday night and Sat at least its up your way Caz

what will you do in Fri and Sat

last time I said come I left at 10

Cool Re: Blaze II - aftermath

DJ Tiggerbabe at work. I have a stack of really cool pics from BlazeII but I have reached my quota for uploads so expect lots more to be posted either here by Twirlie Bird or in our Facebook galleries.....
    Last edited by StokeBloke; 30th-June-2009 at 03:11 PM.

Cool Re: Blaze II - aftermath

OK, I've just worked out how to delete some of my previous attachments to make some room.... so here's a couple more pictures from Blaze II
    Last edited by StokeBloke; 30th-June-2009 at 03:11 PM.

I think it has all been said by now but anyway ......

A fabulous weekend.
    Had a warm caravan this time - well worth the investment
    Great cake
    Thanks to Cheeks who re-invigorated me with oils - my dance bag still smells fab!
    And Sparkles who supplied foot gel when most needed
    Managed a whole weekend without recourse to Burger King Ducasi even cooked
    Superb dance after superb dance - my only regret is not ever quite getting hold of Michael.
    Only did a couple of workshops but they were quality and I learnt heaps.
    Experienced my first private lesson - thanks to Mark and Rachel who made us feel great about our dancing.
    Lots of laughs, lots of good times.

After (too) much scientific research I can confirm that it is much better to land on the a*se than the head. Please don't try that one at home, kids. Apparently I have post concussion something and will stop feeling dizzy in a few days. The good news it I'm not at all sore - I just feel nicely pi**ed (hic).

Roll on Blaze III!!

Commercial Operator

Blaze was a lovely cosy weekend. Everyone was so friendly. Huge thanks to Franck and Sheena for making us feel so welcome.

Was great to meet new faces and forumites. Can't name them all but I do want to say thanks to Gadget for our wonderful dance (love your style)and thanks to Franck for grabbing me for our amazing dances too.

Even did some classes. Shock - horror. Did the WCS advanced footwork and loved it. Learnt so much. Just need to practice, practice, practice now. Also did Lucky and Ruby's Flip, Flop Fly and Fischng. FFP was the best class ever. Permission to leap about and get real height. Wow! Was so pleased that Stokie ands I managed to fly after a few pointers from Lucky. What a feeling. Think I may have to do it again if it's on at Blackpool just to experience that feeling again.

Had some amazing dances. Far too many to mention but thank you to everyone who danced with me. The dancing finishing at 2am was a real shock tot he system. But once the parties were discovered the 2am finish was fine. Couldn't have had those partied if we were dancing until 6am. Thanks to Franck and Sheena for the waffles and thanks to Dazzler for letting us dance around his caravan. Jamie and Stokie thanks for making me laugh so damn much and for Barmdude for his corned beef story!

Talking of Barbdude - a HUGE thank you for carrying all of my bags in to the caravan when it was tipping down with rain on Friday afternoon. Also for keeping me entertained during SCD and for looking out for me all weekend. You were a star.

That's about it for Blaze. I don't want to repeat too much of what everyone else has said.

The very best thing about Blaze for me was meeting Dazzler. What an amazing guy and a fabulous dancer. Thanks for sharing the bond on the way home on Monday.

With Stokey flinging you around we'll need to get stop watches to measure the "hangtime dude" - like that's some serious air man!

Photos on facebook are really cool. Cheers Nath.

Quote Originally Posted by pmjd View Post
    It kinds leads me to the question, does Blaze III have to be at Ayr? Is it the only place in Scotland that could justifiably accommodate a Ceroc weekender? The reasons being the sudden 2am limit, the building layouts for what you are trying to fit in.
    If you can recommend anywhere that will have cheap accommodation, Three dance floors (of the size at Craig Tara), good transport (even an airport within 15 miles, a bus service to main reception and plenty of parking) then Frank would I am sure like to hear of it.

I personally can't think of a better venue over all (in Scotland)
    Aberdeen has the Beach Ballroom but no cheap accommodation within walking distance.

Quote Originally Posted by stairman View Post
    If you can recommend anywhere that will have cheap accommodation, Three dance floors (of the size at Craig Tara), good transport (even an airport within 15 miles, a bus service to main reception and plenty of parking) then Frank would I am sure like to hear of it.
    That's why I asked the question, IF there was another place that could host a Blaze weekender.

Finally putting fingers to keys to say what a fantastic time I had at BLAZEII !
    Thanks again Franck and Sheena and all Ceroc's little helpers for a fab week-end. I had some very special dances and it was fantastic to see familiar faces from BLAZEI.
    On Sunday night I asked a guy I didn't know to dance in the Blues Room but was turned down. This took a lot of courage so I was left a bit rattled and had to sit down for quite a while!
    Much later I plucked up the courage to ask another stranger for a dance in the big room and he kindly said yes. As soon as we started dancing I thought 'Oh my God! This guy is one of the 'really good dancers' Oh S**t!'
    But I really loved the dance and said I was so glad I asked him. I don't know who he was but want to say thanks again for not refusing me!

Its not good to be refused but fair play to you for getting on with it.

Glitter Queen

I know this is a bit late, but I've been trying to locate the cable to connect my camera to my PC so i can upload my pics with my review - something tells me some more hunting at the weekend is needed . In the meantime:

The Good:
    * The people - being made to feel so welcome by Franck, Sheena and crew; dances with friends old and new, it's always a pleasure dancing in Scotland ; Lory, Stephen, Jan and Linda for your friendship and hospitality over the weekend; meeting several new forumites and putting faces to names!
    * Arriving to my own personal "welcome pack" from Aleks - thank you once again .
    * The dance-space - floors were IMO good, I know Stokebloke and others worked very hard to get them that way , I liked the tinsly decorations (thought they added a party atmosphere) and the lighing was nice and atmospheric but not so dark you couldn't see new faces to dance with. Free water was also appreciated.
    * the CAKES - especially Lemoncake's gingerbread, which I was eagerly anticipating and was as good as I imagined - everything I tasted was spectacular, thank you to all who baked.
    * Our chalet - we opted for walls rather than a caravan, and although basic our chalet was big enough for our needs, clean and warm. Having a fab chalet companion in robd helped too of course .
    * The music - no grumbles here... but how could there be with the likes of Tiggerbabe, Marc "Bust-A-Move" Forster and Trampy on the decks
    * The workshops - both those I watched and participated in (which I thought were excellent) and the one I demoed for, which was daunting but ultimately rewarding, were all extremely worthwhile.
    * The after parties - sooo many laughs and so much fun - plus waffles with nutella, what more could you ask for?!

The Bad:
    * The early finishing time - 2am is too early. I know Franck tried his hardest to sort this out, full credit to you for trying, but I think that if I had known it would finish so early every night I might have considered an alternative Scottish weekender.
    * The on-site food - was really only just edible (although the fish fingers were reminiscent of my childhood ). Luckily, Lory and Linda had us sorted for food so we only ate there once.
    * Feeling like I was 'in the way' as an extra woman in some of the WCS workshops - I know this is my own fault but it did detract slightly from my weekend experience.
    * The weather - not something that can be controlled, but I lost count of the number of times I got drenched!

The Ugly:
    * Me getting fairly drunk on Saturday night and having to be very careful not to a) fall over or b) throw up Apologies to all who danced with me in my fragile state.

The Euphoric:
    * Dancing Foxtrot with Michael Kielbasa in the Blues Room on Sunday night and finally nailing that bl**dy ducking move!

All in all a fantastic weekend. I had a ball and now feel like I'm really missing all the lovely Scots. I'll post my photos asap . Till the next one...
    Last edited by Sparkles; 2nd-November-2007 at 01:28 PM.

one great dance after another after another after another after another... Fabulous.

Only got a chance to do a couple of workshops and didn't fancy all this tripple step nonsense Franck's progressive class reassured me that wandering all over the dance floor was acceptable (after all if The Man teaches it, it must be OK ) Ruby & Lucky's flying lessons, ("FREEDOM!") were difficult for me - having to think on three things at once. And their micro-blues fishing thing was interesting; leading small movements from the hand on the follower's back is normally too subtle for them to pick up on, but the level of intensity and focus made it very...

Good
    The dancing. Cake. Dancing. Friends. Dancing. Music. Dancing.

Bad
    Weather (who cares - we were in-doors ). 'early' closing (More time for after party party's )

Ugly
    Judging from the photos, me.... I look better in motion, honest

Roll on the next one.

Thread Information