Thread: Spinderella Ball, 24th Nov

Spinderella Ball, 24th Nov

Who's going to this event?

If last year's is anything to go by, this is one event you simply won't want to miss. It is a must for those of you who love to dress up and party in a uniquely spectacular venue - see
    Heythrop Park Hotel, Golf & Country Club

For more info about the event, see
    Welcome to Oxford and High Wycombe CEROC

Roy & Melissa put on the best black-tie events. David & I will be there. Hope to see some you there too.

LilyB

Re: Spinderella Ball, 24th Nov

I'll be there.

I love these events Roy and Melissa really push the boat out and provide a special night at lovely venues.

Save me a dance or 3 please Lily.

Will be going to this for the first time ,heard so much about it.
    Really looks a impressive place from the photos etc

Hope to go but here its 90% sold

Quote Originally Posted by LilyB View Post
    Who's going to this event?

If last year's is anything to go by, this is one event you simply won't want to miss. It is a must for those of you who love to dress up and party in a uniquely spectacular venue - see
    Heythrop Park Hotel, Golf & Country Club

For more info about the event, see
    Welcome to Oxford and High Wycombe CEROC

Roy & Melissa put on the best black-tie events. David & I will be there. Hope to see some you there too.

LilyB
    ooo black tie and close to home looks good to me!

Have you seen the Boots the Chemist advert where the girls are all getting ready for a party. The backing track is "Here come the girls....girls...girls...girls, girls, girls." All the women are dressing in their finest frocks, makeup and hair perfect, best jewellery, etc. Well...this is what it was like at the Spinderella Ball. All the women looks wonderful and the men very dashing, so what do the organisers do? Slap a thick white plastic band around your wrist, just to set the whole outfit off.

I didn't enjoy the Spinderella experience at all. The wrist band was the first thing to annoy me, it was too packed, the music was absolutely awful. I've heard better sets at Cheshunt, that's how bad it was.

After enduring two hours of waiting for a decent track to come on, me and Gav retired early to the hotel bar in the main house and watched Parky on the telly over a glass of baileys.

The hotel was lovely. I enjoyed having a naughty nose through all of the rooms, which I'm sure we were not supposed to and the breakfast room was beautiful, overlooking the stunning gardens.

Blog Entries

The setting was amazing, a beautiful country manor (shame about the 70's add-ons ).
    Once inside the whole place was a bit of a let down . What should have been a magnificent house was let down by lack of staff, lack of atmosphere and a below average bedroom.
    Yes, the wristbands were annoying (and unnecessary IMO), but it was nice to see ESG and Tessalicious taking care of the photography and we were lucky to share a table with friendly locals (Lee, Myra and Olga). Food was nice and the Jazz quartet was also a nice touch.

Then, as DT says, the music was a let-down. Stereotypical Ceroc bouncy, thumpy music.

Good to see Cruella and Under-Par, also lovely to meet Lilly (sorry we didn't get to dance, but now I know who you are I'll look out for you ).

Sorry guys, but I don't think we'll be back next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post

After enduring two hours of waiting for a decent track to come on, me and Gav retired early to the hotel bar in the main house and watched Parky on the telly over a glass of baileys.
    I'll bet!

Hmm, .

So...............you wouldn't have heard whether many doors opened and shut during the night?
    Last edited by Astro; 26th-November-2007 at 02:19 PM.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Well I had a brilliant night. I was sat with a great crowd of friends and had lots of laughs. Lily made herself acquainted with the management, so we had extra special treatment on our table I can see why David is so well behaved The cabaret was great, I can't believe they were only aged 16! I personally liked most of the music, there were a few unusual tracks but also some new fab tracks for me to add to my collection. Loads of good men there too and all wearing white shirts! I was in heaven. The venue is so beautiful and Roy and the others obviously put so much effort into making the night as best as it can be. I'm definitely putting it on my calendar for next year
    Pics are up to look at already!

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    I'll bet!

Hmm, .
    What's weird is that everyone we meet...lots of people on Saturday for example, find out that me and Gav have 6 kids between us and automatically think we spend every spare minute shagging each others brains out when the kids are not around.

We went to leave early on Saturday night and the couple we were sitting with gave us a nudge and a wink, as if to say "Oh yeah...early to bed is it?".

We really did go and watch telly in the bar.

What's weird is that everyone we meet...lots of people on Saturday for example, find out that me and Gav have 6 kids between us and automatically think we spend every spare minute shagging each others brains out when the kids are not around.

We went to leave early on Saturday night and the couple we were sitting with gave us a nudge and a wink, as if to say "Oh yeah...early to bed is it?".

We really did go and watch telly in the bar.
    Any witnesses?

I'll believe you pet, thousands wouldn't.

I had an absolutely brilliant time - honest, Cruella - despite having to 'have a few words' with the restaurant manager. It did get us our desserts and coffee early, so was worth the effort. Notwithstanding the initial poor service, the food was excellent. Well, I thought so but young Tom Baker next to me left all his veggies esp. the greens - tsk, tsk .

I thought everyone looked fabulous and Roy, Melissa & their crew certainly went to a lot of trouble with the decorations. (It was highly amusing watching Mas and David try to wrap Beckie up in the balloon arch at the end of the evening)

The floor was huge but the 3 DJs kept it buzzing throughout the night. I'm sorry to hear DT and Gav did not find the music to their liking but John Baker did play lots of slower stuff in the last 2 hours. The floor was still packed right up to the 2:35am finish (John sneaked in an extra 2 tracks seeing as the management were asleep).

As Cruella said, lots of good men to dance with and all nicely scrubbed up too. Yep, I had a great time.

Well I had a ball, I have been to several of these events and only did the freestyle on Saturday because Mrs Par was away at Camber, I took my mate Rob and he really enjoyed too.
    Having arrived at the venue it was great to see all the guests dressed up so smart , so many posh frocks and black ties for the effort everyone made.
    The room was a real picture wonderfully decorated, the young caberet stars showed us how far ballroom dancers have pushed their skill levels such elegance and poise for two 16 year olds amazing.

I see some have criticised the music in this thread.. music is such a subjective thing. I didn't like the odd track here or there but I don't expect to like every track, but it rarely stops me dancing to it.
    Stating that the music was cerocy is stating the obvious it was a CEROC Oxford event, over the 4 and half hours freestyle I really enjoyed the balance of the music offered.

I personally would like less poppy music but I get a lot of that at other events.
    I willingly travel 120 miles each way to Heythrop because this is a very special event put on at a special venue where you can dress up eat a lovely meal listening to live music then dance freestyle for 4 and half hours with loads of lovely people many of whom I've not danced with before. You can also have your photo taken all dressed up with your partner by ESG

I take my hat off to Roy and Mellisa and the team for providing freestyles with a big difference, they have taken the MJ frestyle night to a different level and made it a really special event.

No event will please all the people all the time and it is right that all should air their opinions freely on here so i am not knocking anyone for their opinion.

There are hundreds of freestyle events annually maybe thousands!! but theres only Ceroc Oxford (to my knowledge ) offering such up market posh events at dreamy venues.

Roy and Melissa and the team keep up the good work

I'll be back

Quote Originally Posted by under par View Post
    up market posh events at dreamy venues.
    There were lots of positives as you say, professional pictures taken, nice food, live music while eating but I think my expectations of the 'venue' were more than we got.

What I mean by that is, I saw pictures of the grand house before we went and I was expecting the actual Ball to be in a grand Ball Room in the actual house. Instead it was in a featureless carpeted function room, which wasn't even part of the house, but in some 70's build 'add on' conference centre. Even the dance floor was false.

The organisers did dress the room as best as they could, but I couldn't help feeling cheated as I was expecting a glamorous Ball Room.

As for the music...I think I was spoilt on Friday at S'Funk and I am increasingly frustrated at the total rubbish churned at at all MJ and Ceroc events, it's not just a criticism of Ceroc Oxford.

Blog Entries

The organisers did dress the room as best as they could, but I couldn't help feeling cheated as I was expecting a glamorous Ball Room.

I think that Hotels shouldn't be allowed to call function rooms "Ballrooms" unless they have a dance floor. It's unfair and IMO tantamount to deception.

Thread Information