68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm a smoker.

8 11.76%
  • No, I'm a non-smoker.

60 88.24%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Smoking in the real world...

Commercial Operator
    Both Aleks and Wendy have dream jobs. And they're both working on their dream to make it a reality. What if someone offered them their dream job but said they had to work with a smoker? Would they turn it down after years of study, heartache, etc.

On a constructive note, many of the people at dancing are also employers in varied industries. If Aleks and Wendy were to post their dream job someone somewhere might have a the right vacancy and want to employ a fellow dancer

Originally posted by Andy McGregor
    Both Aleks and Wendy have dream jobs. And they're both working on their dream to make it a reality. What if someone offered them their dream job but said they had to work with a smoker? Would they turn it down after years of study, heartache, etc.

On a constructive note, many of the people at dancing are also employers in varied industries. If Aleks and Wendy were to post their dream job someone somewhere might have a the right vacancy and want to employ a fellow dancer
    I'm unlikely to be offered a job in my chosen field, never mind by a smoker/non-smoker - Kinesiology is a holistic therapy based on Chinese meridian principles (energy balancing) so self-employment is the way I'm going. My dream is to "create" enough clients to be able to support myself without the need to earn cash another way - it's happening, just not fast enough! (If anyone's interested in a free first session, PM me, I'm based in Edinburgh!)

Good idea though - anyone else out there looking for a new job?

Versailles (yeah, in the chateau itself !)
    I don't have a dream job....unless you count pole dancing - but G says I'm too old and need to get real !!! and they have to dance in smoky clubs anyway...groan....... but maybe I could be employed by a smoker who could pay me lots to spend time with them to stop them smoking ???? Then I wouldn't turn down that offer !!!! I could even teach them how to dance... or even kiss them every time they wanted a cigarette... Is that a job ?????!!!!!!!... but then I wouldn't want to kiss a smoker.....
    On a constructive note, many of the people at dancing are also employers in varied industries. If Aleks and Wendy were to post their dream job someone somewhere might have a the right vacancy and want to employ a fellow dancer .
    Sounds like a new thread to me.....

Wxxx

Originally posted by Wendy
    I don't have a dream job....unless you count pole dancing - but G says I'm too old and need to get real !!! and they have to dance in smoky clubs anyway...groan....... but maybe I could be employed by a smoker who could pay me lots to spend time with them to stop them smoking ???? Then I wouldn't turn down that offer !!!! I could even teach them how to dance... or even kiss them every time they wanted a cigarette... Is that a job ?????!!!!!!!... but then I wouldn't want to kiss a smoker.....
    Sounds like a new thread to me.....

Wxxx
    Pole dancing's something I've always fancied doing too.....

Maybe you and I should consider opening a non-smoking pole dancing club???

Originally posted by Aleks
    Pole dancing's something I've always fancied doing too.....
    Maybe you and I should consider opening a non-smoking pole dancing club???
    but what about azande???!!!! ....he'd have to go outside !!!! ... it's a possibility though ... do you think there would be a market for that kind of thing !!!!!!

Wxxx

but what about azande???!!!! ....he'd have to go outside !!!! ... it's a possibility though ... do you think there would be a market for that kind of thing !!!!!!

Wxxx
    Time for a poll/pole??

Azande'll be OK - he'll stand outside and be the "heavy" (anyone who's met azande knows what I mean).......he'd much rather be the pole, I think!

We haven't gone off-topic have we ???

Wxxx

Commercial Operator
    We haven't gone off-topic have we ???

Wxxx
    Dancing girls talking about pole dancing is much more interesting.

Whilst on a sailing trip I was recently dragged by one of the crew who works in advertising to a lap/pole dancing bar for the first time ever Just about every girl I spoke to was a medical student 'just doing it to pay her way through medical school'. If they were telling the truth, in a few years time there are going to be some very fit and very attractive doctors

And, before you ask, there was enormous peer group pressure for me to accept a lap dance. But being a Cerocer I felt the usual thing was to maintain eye contact so I missed most of the show And when she'd done her 2 mins (for £10!!!) I asked her to sit down while I lap danced for her One of the other girls spoke with me later, said she liked my moves and invited me to practice with them on Tuesday nights - I said I usually go to Hipsters in a Tuesday - this is a lie, I go to Hipsters on Wednesdays Which makes me wonder, do you think they might have been lying about being medical students?

Re: Smoking in the real world...

Quote Originally Posted by Aleks
    Time for a poll/pole??

Azande'll be OK - he'll stand outside and be the "heavy" (anyone who's met azande knows what I mean).......he'd much rather be the pole, I think!
    Pole?? I thought he was Italian................

errr.. in the back of my car with my microphone..anyone else want teacher cover...just call (everyone else has...!!!)

Angry Re: Smoking in the real world...

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer
    Smoking is an addiction, smokers are addicted. I of course include myself in this. Comparing a cigarette to a drink and a smoker to a drinker only works if one is (correctly) comparing smoking to alcoholism. Ok, we don’t ‘duff’ people up, or become dangerous drivers after 10 tubes of heavy (B&H) but we are addicted to a substance.
    OK - time for my pennyworth.

As a Consultant Psychotherapist of 4 years and a therapist of some 10 years, you are not addicted.

SMOKING IS NOT AN ADDICTIVE ACTIVITY

Did everyone get that...???

If it was, people would not be able to become non-smokers instantly and never touch a ciggy again...

Heroine is addictive, cocaine is addictive - smoking is not..!!!

Smoking is a habit, triggered by thought process either conscious or sub-conscious. It is not triggered by somatic activity.

Just needed to clear that one up...if anyone wishes to know how the mind convinces you that you want / need / must have a ciggy, read Dr Georges Phillips PhD Book, Gold Psychotherapeutic Counselling, available from Crown House Publishing.....

It is all in the mind.....
    Gordy
    ~ It's a Dance Thing ~

'Τα δόντια μου είναι μου δικοί - οι γόμμες δεν είναι'

www.vatsim-uk.org

The scottish executive currently have a big thing going on about SMOKING IN PUBLIC PLACES: A CONSULTATION

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon J Pownall
    OK - time for my pennyworth.

As a Consultant Psychotherapist of 4 years and a therapist of some 10 years, you are not addicted.

Did everyone get that...???

If it was, people would not be able to become non-smokers instantly and never touch a ciggy again...

Heroine is addictive, cocaine is addictive - smoking is not..!!!

Smoking is a habit, triggered by thought process either conscious or sub-conscious. It is not triggered by somatic activity.

Just needed to clear that one up...if anyone wishes to know how the mind convinces you that you want / need / must have a ciggy, read Dr Georges Phillips PhD Book, Gold Psychotherapeutic Counselling, available from Crown House Publishing.....

It is all in the mind.....
    IT IS ALL IN THE MIND

I have no professional qualifications at all except being a 40 a day smoker for 12 years.

I believed for years I was addicted.

Although I gave up smoking hundreds of times (cos I really didn't think it was good for me ) I kept falling back into the habit at the earliest opportunity.

Using age old excuses like "I cannot go to the pub and not smoke", "I need it to calm me down" or the counter argument "I am bored and need a ciggy" or " I like it after a meal"

My sister bought me a book for my birthday 11 years ago Allan Carr's "Easy way to give up smoking".

It encouraged not to actually stop smoking until you are finished reading the book.

The book consisted of a story of tobacco usage by smokers and its associated advertising and promotion during the 20th century.

It explained the illogical reasoning behind smokers desire to smoke based on the premise that every smoker hated their first ciggarette and felt ill trying it.

In any other circumstance most people would stop right there if something made them feel sick and giddy.

But because of the percieved images of film stars (ever see a old black and white film where there isn't a ciggarette lit in every scene)and celebrities and peers smoking, there is pressure to conform to the stereotype and continue smoking.

Contrary to all the public health information and the extraordinary cost of smoking, smokers continue believing they are addicted.

I read the book in five days and by the time I was reading the the finishing chapters I found it extremely difficult raising a lit ciggarette to my mouth.

The book tried a form of repeated counter propoganda re emphasising all the negatives without scare tactics.

When I had finished and I KNEW that I would never smoke again.

11 years on still not smoking and better still never had a craving since the day I put the book down.

50% of friends who have read the book have also given up.

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wondering if percentages have shifted in the last 10 years...
    Franck.

There's an A.P.P. for that!

Thread Information