Thread: Outlook

Outlook

Does anyone know if there is a way of changing the settings in Outlook so you get a audio sound every time a new e-mail is received?

At work the staff is currently required to check 4 different mailboxes, together with an on-line text messenging service and live chat and of course traditional phone enquiries from our clients

Often a e-mail is left unanswered for an unacceptable amount of time because staff forget to check the mail boxes regularly.

Any idea's? An audio sound ala "you got mail" would be brilliant, or an repeat pop up box every five minutes or so until the mail has been read.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: Outlook

that really should be the default

anyway a quick search on google for "turning on sound notifications in outlook"

got back a few interesting ones - the 4th being a link to exact instructions

you really should try google you know. its a "search engine" and it answers questions just like that one really easily by responding with web pages it found for you.

its great.

Thanks for the link DS

and yes my little delightful blue friend, I did try Google. But hey, for it to work one needs to know how to spell

Nah seriously, searched but wasnt able to find anything useful. Obviously I wasnt using the right key words.

Awww DS you know she doesn't need to google for her self

She has GoogleSmurf!

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    Awww DS you know she doesn't need to google for her self

She has GoogleSmurf!
    I googled for "where should trousers stick it" and the first link was all about Dress trousers... hmmm

<blush>

Alrighty

I have managed to turn on the audio alart for my personal in-box in Outlook, but I have had no joy in doing the same for the shared mailboxes.

It was the shared mailboxes that really needed the audio alarets, I tried to apply the exactly same rules as when I set it up for my personal in-box but it's not working

Any suggestions?

Con x

As far as I know you can't set sound alerts up for shared/public mail boxes. But, if you work it out, please share!

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    Alrighty

I have managed to turn on the audio alart for my personal in-box in Outlook, but I have had no joy in doing the same for the shared mailboxes.

It was the shared mailboxes that really needed the audio alarets, I tried to apply the exactly same rules as when I set it up for my personal in-box but it's not working

Any suggestions?

Con x
    Shared? Are you logged in as the user the message was for? Can Outlook match message to user?

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    Alrighty

Any suggestions?

Con x
    Don't know how to do it, I'm afraid.

What I do is add the Inbox of Shared Mailboxes to my favourite folders, so at least it's a bit more obvious when there are Unread messages there. (The word Inbox goes bold with the number of Unread messages in brackets).

To do this, in the Mail view, scroll up or down the list of folders on the LHS till you get to the Inbox of your shared mailbox, then right-click and select "Add to Favourite Folders"
    Love dance, will travel

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    Shared? Are you logged in as the user the message was for? Can Outlook match message to user?
    I am not really sure I understand what you are asking. But the helpline have 2 shared mailboxes, once for general enquiries, one for case enquires which also get our SMS messages delivered to.

Every helpline staff member have access to these boxes and whoever is on shift will check them and deal with them. However as they have so many systems running simultaniously they often forget to check the incoming e-mails for the shares mailboxes, hense why an audio alert would be useful.

If John and Mary are sharing an inbox perhaps Mary does not want to be alerted when message for John arrives. It depends on what view the programmers have on "sharing".

Thread Information