Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tenko, TV and general reminiscing...

Tenko, TV and general reminiscing...

Moved from the Confessions booth thread - DJ

I have a confession and usually my punishment is washing up duty lol or make dad a cup of coffee (oh wait thats when he needs bribing, mainly from me)

My confession is....

I sat and watched Tenko on UKTV History at 11.00 in the morning and then I watched it again at 5.00 pm (the very same episode)

And i looked at all the character profiles and episode guide on the net

sad, very sad but its so addictive!

and for all the forumites who are scratching their heads and thinking "What an earth is Tenko??? i will explain...

Tenko was a televison series in the 80's about british, women in a Japanese POW (Prisoner of War) camp in the second world war.

I am on series 2 now

I missed series 1

dad thought i was bad with soaps, but now he has to leave the room when the subtitles of Tenko come on!

So what is my punishment for being a Tenko addict?
    Last edited by David Bailey; 24th-October-2007 at 03:56 PM.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: The Confession Booth.

Quote Originally Posted by Mini Mac View Post
    and for all the forumites who are scratching their heads and thinking "What an earth is Tenko??? i will explain...
    Its a classic TV series and most of us are older and will have heard of it (and probably watched it in the 80s ). Next thing you'll be saying is that you've discovered these large round pieces of plastic that play music when you put them on a turntable and they have a better sound quality than CDs
    Last edited by Dreadful Scathe; 24th-October-2007 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Its a classic TV series and most of us are older and will have heard of it (and probably watched it in the 80s ). Next thing you'll be saying is that you've discovered these large round pieces of plastic that play music when you put them on a turntable and they have a better sound quality than CDs
    Was sitting on the bus a while back when Fleetwood mac came on the radio and they were playing "Dreams". Two girls in front of me turned to each other and said in fluent teenagerese

"Oh my god Someone's done a cover of the Corrs Song!"
    "Yeah it's not as good as the original though!"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    Was sitting on the bus a while back when Fleetwood mac came on the radio and they were playing "Dreams". Two girls in front of me turned to each other and said in fluent teenagerese

"Oh my god Someone's done a cover of the Corrs Song!"
    "Yeah it's not as good as the original though!"
    OT, I know but, a few years back I phoned a radio station and asked for Under The Bridge by the Red Hot Chili Peppers. The DJ said "You mean All Saints?", I said "no, I want the chili's", he said "I didn't know they'd covered it, weird". So I hung up and re-tuned my radio.

So what is my punishment for being a Tenko addict?
    Nothing. I watched it the first time round, I was probably the age you are now, that's how long ago it was on.

It was a great series and you'll learn more from that than watching Hollyoaks.

Im guessing this was before i was born Does anyone watch house, smallville, desperate housewives, supernatural, ghost whisperer, csi las vagas, csi:ny, csi:miami or brothers and sisters? Just wondering. All brilliant programmes!! I think i might too much american tv LOL.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Next thing you'll be saying is that you've discovered these large round pieces of plastic that play music when you put them on a turntable and they have a better sound quality than CDs
    I heard an article on the news a few months ago, saying exactly that - teenagers were rediscovering vinyl (ahem, I mean records...), and appreciating them for their higher sound quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Nothing. I watched it the first time round, I was probably the age you are now, that's how long ago it was on.

It was a great series and you'll learn more from that than watching Hollyoaks.

i totally agree, i like hollyoaks as well but Tenko's much better, it really gives you a clear picture of what it was like for those women prisoners, and it makes you think about what other events were happening in the world as well as the blitz, the holocaust and dunkirk.

However i join in the teenage conversation about hollyoaks at school,i know that if i piped up and said, "You should watch Tenko" and told them what it was about, half the girls would fall asleep!

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Shark View Post
    Im guessing this was before i was born Does anyone watch house, smallville, desperate housewives, supernatural, ghost whisperer, csi las vagas, csi:ny, csi:miami or brothers and sisters? Just wondering. All brilliant programmes!! I think i might too much american tv LOL.
    i used to love desperate housewives, had a very sad obsession with lost until they took it off channel 4 and watched a couple of episodes of my name is earl and everybody hates chris.

my favourite trashy american tv show?

HAS to be Ugly Betty and Simpsons of course.

However am still partial to look at Lost , (just to ogle sawyer (Josh Holloway) of course lol)

However i join in the teenage conversation about hollyoaks at school,i know that if i piped up and said, "You should watch Tenko" and told them what it was about, half the girls would fall asleep!
    I don't wanna freak you out MM, but I was like that at your age. You sound like me.

I wished I'd gone to university and studied History, but I was too keen to get out to work and earn lots of money. Biggest mistake of my life, I wished I'd studied more.

I don't wanna freak you out MM, but I was like that at your age. You sound like me.

I wished I'd gone to university and studied History, but I was too keen to get out to work and earn lots of money. Biggest mistake of my life, I wished I'd studied more.
    ah well i dont think i want to clear off 2 uni for a while, but let me give you a tip...

YOU DO NOT WANT TO STUDY HISTORY!

seriously DT i love history, but GCSE history is a nightmare!

coursework seven questions, sounds easy right?

HA! I wish!

you have to explain your answer, use wider knowledge, explain that, why how where, when what? and all that marlarkey!

when i got that assignment i was on the computer from 8 till 12 at night just typing and typing and it hurt my brain so much

I HATE HISTORY

(at my school anyway)

Might not be the right time now (with the kids to look after), but it's never too late DT.

Commercial Operator

While I don't watch most of these (I dip into Supernatural occasionally), there are some amazing US shows, yes. Current addictions are: Heroes (Season 2 is beginning to shape up), Dexter (utterly amazing show) and Pushing Daisies, which is ... unique. To say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    While I don't watch most of these (I dip into Supernatural occasionally), there are some amazing US shows, yes. Current addictions are: Heroes (Season 2 is beginning to shape up), Dexter (utterly amazing show) and Pushing Daisies, which is ... unique. To say the least.
    Never heard of Dexter or Pushing Daisies. Supernatural absoutly rocked!!! Just got to wait for series 3 to be showen on ITV1 next year

Its true its never too late!! But its harder to get a job these days with a degree under your belt. Some people get their degree but don't have a job that related to their degree so they're forced to do something else to earn money. However im glad that theres more than one way to skin a cat (so to speak) when it comes to finding the job you want e.g apprenticeships......you learn and earn!!!

Hopefully i'll be going uni part time to do a degree in psychology but thats just a plan for the near by future!!

i used to love desperate housewives, had a very sad obsession with lost until they took it off channel 4 and watched a couple of episodes of my name is earl and everybody hates chris.

my favourite trashy american tv show?

HAS to be Ugly Betty and Simpsons of course.

However am still partial to look at Lost , (just to ogle sawyer (Josh Holloway) of course lol)
    I got lost with lost (the programme)!!! I watched the 1st season then when the 2nd season started showing i just wasn't into it then i thought "OMG they're still stuck on that island" and it got boring!!! Same with prison break the 1st season was good then didn't get into the 2nd season and i thought "they're still trying to chase the criminals" and lost interest!!! With prison break and lost the storyline just dragged on!! Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!

But ugly betty is good im starting to get into that but the simpsons......has anyone seen the simpsons movie? IMO it wasn't good as i thought it'd be plus it was like putting 4 episodes together!! Plus the spider-pig scene wasn't so great because i've seen its number of times via adverts.

Desperate housewives will be back next year!! Can't wait!! Despite how sad i may seem but im i'll buy the box sets of my fav programmes not all of them!! Already got DH series 2 but haven't got series 1.

Am wondering if a seperate thread for fav TV programmes might be a good idea

Thanks kind mods

Commercial Operator

Never heard of Dexter or Pushing Daisies. Supernatural absoutly rocked!!! Just got to wait for series 3 to be showen on ITV1 next year
    I was given the box-set of Season 1 for Supernatural. Slowly working my way through them - they are certainly fun.

Pushing Daisies - not sure I can do this one justice in a description. Wonderful, quirky beyond belief, heavily influenced by Amelie. Here's a preview.
    Longer preview here, but this one would spoil a lot of the first episode. I think I read that it was coming over here early next year, but I'm not sure where I saw that.

Dexter... is Dexter. A serial killer. As the hero. Quite black, often funny, wonderful story, pure brilliance.

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    I was given the box-set of Season 1 for Supernatural. Slowly working my way through them - they are certainly fun.

Pushing Daisies - not sure I can do this one justice in a description. Wonderful, quirky beyond belief, heavily influenced by Amelie. Here's a preview.
    Longer preview here, but this one would spoil a lot of the first episode. I think I read that it was coming over here early next year, but I'm not sure where I saw that.
    I still gotta buy the box sets!! Have you seen season 2? My favourite epsiode is Asylum........its just creepy but good.

Im honestly liking the preview of pushing daisies although i didn't see the 2nd preview because of what you said. It looks good!! Still never heard of Dexter

Commercial Operator

I still gotta buy the box sets!! Have you seen season 2? My favourite epsiode is Asylum........its just creepy but good.
    No - I only have Season one. I'll definitely watch 2 when I finally get through it.

Im honestly liking the preview of pushing daisies although i didn't see the 2nd preview because of what you said. It looks good!! Still never heard of Dexter
    Seen two episodes of PD so far - loving it. Hope it stays this good.

Here's Dexter .

O - MI - GOD!

Fate worse than death. Here's my 10p for some conselling, Mini-M. If you can rustle up the cash from the other forumites there's still a chance for you...

Thread Information