Thread: Whisky

Whisky

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M View Post

Who said anything about national preferences? Last time I looked, Laphroaig (note spelling...) was distilled on Islay, which has Paisley postcodes so it must be part of Scotland. I like Bushmills, but that doesn't entitle me to call it a whisky. It's a whiskey. Anyway, as for the taste, Laphroaig couldn't come from anywhere other than Islay. OK it's not typical Islay, but it is extreme Islay...

I don't really care what nationality prefers what whisky, I just wanted to string someone up for using incorrect spelling, regarding the Scottish stuff. And to talk about whisky.

Actually, It's interesting that the Scots spelling is generally the one adopted by formative malt whisky industries, such as that of our English cousins. And the Swedish. And the Welsh (lovely stuff, this!). And the Japanese. And even your lot ...

It's just those upstart Yanks and the bloody Irish who insist on sticking an "e" in, really. But the Irish can be excused on the grounds that they invented the stuff .
    OK - talk to me about whisky then!

I'm thinking of taking my Dad on a mini tour of distilleries for his birthday in about a year's time. He'll be 80, and it's something he's always wanted to do (though I think his actual “plan” was to win the lottery and have a chauffer drive him round! Since there's been no lottery win, he'll have to make do with me).

He’s having a think about what he’d like to do/where to go, but any recommendations or suggestions would be useful.

Fortunately I don’t drink whisky, though being partial to a nice glass of vin blanc or vin rouge, I will be planning on us staying a in a nice hotel in the evenings where I don’t have to drive anywhere after a good dinner!

Any suggestions?

Re: Whisky

Here's a map for you.. just plot a line joining the dots

If you want to Visit bladnoch you'll see it's conveniently near my Parents !!

There's a cluster around Perth .. and Perth is a nice place to visit too

or go further north to Speyside.. Elgin is ok to visit too..

An Eclectic Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    I'm thinking of taking my Dad on a mini tour of distilleries for his birthday in about a year's time. He'll be 80, and it's something he's always wanted to do (though I think his actual “plan” was to win the lottery and have a chauffer drive him round! Since there's been no lottery win, he'll have to make do with me).

He’s having a think about what he’d like to do/where to go, but any recommendations or suggestions would be useful.
    "About a year's time" places you nicely for the Autumn Speyside Whisky Festival, assuming there is one in 2008 (link is for the 2007 festival). We went to the Spirit of Speyside Whisky Festival (held in May this year) and thought it was good - plenty of events on, and not all whisky-related either.

Of course, that only gets you to Speyside distilleries, but there are some Highland distilleries just off the A9 en route.

If you were wanting to visit distilleries on Islay, then there's a festival there too in May each year called Feis Ile, which is also a Music festival. If you plan on doing that though, figure in the costs of ferry travel to Islay itself and accommodation, which is more limited than on Speyside, especially during this festival.

Couple of other links not festival related: Speyside Whisky Trail and the West Coast Whisky Trail. One piece of general advice: find out if a distillery is open to the public before visiting. Many of the smaller ones aren't, or only do limited tours which must be booked in advance.

Of course, a simpler method of sampling the whiskies of the entire world is to just walk into this small pub on Hope Street in Glasgow.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post

If you want to Visit bladnoch you'll see it's conveniently near my Parents !!
    You're not suggesting that I take my father to meet your parents are you?!

Crikey, and I thought us meeting each other's parents was serious

Thread Information