Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who are you? .... pictures MIA

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Who are you? .... pictures MIA

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    very true he may as well ask me why I've not bothered starting a thread on the subject of the existence of unicorns
    Well?

Why haven't you?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Well?

Why haven't you?
    Ive been too busy stressing over my split ends to think of it

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Surely you need a reason for an action, not an inaction?
    Both action and inaction can have reasons attached. For example, "why haven't you done your homework?" or "How come you haven't phoned recently?".

Given Scathe's criticism of tanjive's reasons, I think it's instructive to compare them with his own.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    Both action and inaction can have reasons attached. For example, "why haven't you done your homework?" or "How come you haven't phoned recently?".

Given Scathe's criticism of tanjive's reasons, I think it's instructive to compare them with his own.
    Well I dont and as my main criticism was the use of the word "should" regarding pictures, I think thats an appropriate response. In other words, if I choose to make my reasons known - assuming there even are any - for not having a picture, thats entirely up to me.

Quote Originally Posted by tanjive View Post
    I am aiming this at posters who post atleast 200 posts. If you have spent the time to post that much then surely you should post a recognisable picture in your profile. There are a 40/50 regular posters of 1000+ messages but maybe half have a recognisable picture. These numbers are a guess.
    While I have my photo on my profile, I think it's entirely up to each individual to decide whether they want to use a photo or not.

I'm not sure though whether the regular posters will feel the need to put up their pictures just because someone who's posted 11 times in 8 months says they should. (This statement is just a guess.)
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

I am aiming this at posters who post atleast 200 posts. If you have spent the time to post that much then surely you should post a recognisable picture in your profile...
    I go to a dance to dance, and I do not get enough dancing. I come onto this forum to learn, and to test my ideas. The only reason I might would have for talking to most forumites in person would be to discuss dance moves and style points, where a practical demonstration is much better than text. I would only seek out that opportunity if I thought I could contribute as much, or more, than I was receiving.
    I really cannot see how my picture would add to anybody else's enjoyment.

I am aiming this at posters who post atleast 200 posts. If you have spent the time to post that much then surely you should post a recognisable picture in your profile. There are a 40/50 regular posters of 1000+ messages but maybe half have a recognisable picture. These numbers are a guess.

I am sure alot of people only see other forumites at weekenders maybe 4-6 times a year so it would be nice to recognise a forum person in a crowd. I know there have at some weekenders forumite meets but unless the sticky label thing catches on, it is not easily to find someone you have found interesting discussions with online.

I am not an advocate of forcing everyone to have a photo. There can be personal reasons not to have a self portrait here. I am not a member of the passport picture police either where x amount of the frame is you, but a person should be recognisable without a magnifying glass in a dance pose.

My hope is this post motivates a few more people posting some pics, after all your not afraid of sharing your opinions.

I am no oil painting after all so what.
    My God, talk about “light blue touch paper” …….

Whilst I agree that maybe using the word “should” in your original post was a bit of a mistake (red rag to several bulls, evidently) I do agree with you that it would be nice to occasionally be able to put a face to a name at a freestyle or weekender.

However, I would guess that it is precisely because there is a degree of anonymity, that some posters feel they can express some of the opinions that they do. My experience in lurking a lot and not posting very much, has led me to the conclusion that there are quite a few egos and agendas floating about on here and that you have inadvertently touched a nerve.

Fortunately, there are a lot of forumites who aren’t quite so touchy, and I for one would be delighted to say hello and have a dance should our paths ever cross.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sunnybunny View Post
    My experience in lurking a lot and not posting very much, has led me to the conclusion that there are quite a few egos and agendas floating about on here and that you have inadvertently touched a nerve.
    and an erroneous conclusion that probably is too - which is a very good reason to not have your photo associated with your misconstrued forum persona

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

and an erroneous conclusion that probably is too - which is a very good reason to not have your photo associated with your misconstrued forum persona
    Go on, you'll be telling us you're not really a Smurf next

hehe.. I challenge ANYONE to identify me from either my profile pic or my WHo's Who pic !!

Well flame me for the wrong choice of one word. Oh sorry that bus has gone!

I have justified my motives enough. I agree there are some valid reasons why one might not want to have a picture here and explicitly stated I would not vote to force everyone to have a picture. I just think those reasons do not account for what we can see.

Bigdjiver don't you think someone might seek you for advice in the same way that you might ask others?

what a very weird quote style you have
    I know its unique innit
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Thread Information