Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Combatting Middle Aged Spread

Re: Combatting Middle Aged Spread

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Yeah well, they tend to like their own kind in Brighton.

Isn't it the gay capital of the UK?
    I think so well thats what i've heard!!! The only good thing about Brighton is the Pier and the sea. I dislike the pebble beach i prefer sand and i love Camber Sands' beach!!

Commercial Operator

Do you have more same sex dancing at your venues Andy, compared to non Brighton venues?
    I would say that we get very few gay dancers at our classes. Probably less than in many areas. That's because there is a lot more choice for gays - there's even gay dance classes.

We do get a fair bit of same-sex dancing, but it's mostly because I do it rather than anything to do with the sexuality of any of our dancers

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    I would recommend avoiding the M&S full length mirrors and a letter writing campaign to M&S as to why there ‘extra large’ has been re classified as medium.
    If you are buying clothes from M&S, there's no hope for you Stewart.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    I would say that we get very few gay dancers at our classes. Probably less than in many areas. That's because there is a lot more choice for gays - there's even gay dance classes.
    That's a shame as they make the best dancers.

Have you thought of busking near gay cafes? etc.,

M&S do decent suits in their Autograph range from what I hear - was going to get one to replace my current, rather ageing suit.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTomato View Post
    M&S do decent suits in their Autograph range from what I hear - was going to get one to replace my current, rather ageing suit.
    Have you seen Take That in the M & S stuff? That Gary Barlow is flippin' lovely, especially now he's stopped eating all the cow pies.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

That's a shame as they make the best dancers.
    No, white people make the best dancers

The only thing i like by M&S is their food, pricy although they do have some good offers. Whenever i watch their advert just makes me hungry!! Plus their lingerie collection is ok although i wish their collection had different colours and designs.

Imagine if M&S could target the younger generation and just the older generation in their clothes range?

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Have you seen Take That in the M & S stuff? That Gary Barlow is flippin' lovely, especially now he's stopped eating all the cow pies.
    You can't buy a bloody Gary Barlow off the shelf at M&S!!

Not that I would want to if you could.

You can't buy a bloody Gary Barlow off the shelf at M&S!!
    You can't?

*DT slopes off to cancel her M&S 40% discount card*

Commercial Operator

Righto, here's my rant. When you go into women's clothes shops, they have sections with loads of fashionable clothes for the lady with the "fuller figure". When you go to blokes shops, if you are over a 38 waist, you've had it....nowt, nada, zilch, zippo.....I'm also fed up with T shirts that claim to be XL or XXL and wouldn't fit a budgie. If we believe all the reports about the UK being a nation of "fatties", why do clothes manufacturers not make more clobber in bigger sizes?

Quote Originally Posted by Dance Demon View Post
    Righto, here's my rant. When you go into women's clothes shops, they have sections with loads of fashionable clothes for the lady with the "fuller figure". When you go to blokes shops, if you are over a 38 waist, you've had it....nowt, nada, zilch, zippo.....I'm also fed up with T shirts that claim to be XL or XXL and wouldn't fit a budgie. If we believe all the reports about the UK being a nation of "fatties", why do clothes manufacturers not make more clobber in bigger sizes?
    Have you tried an outlet of Billy Smarts?

Quote Originally Posted by Dance Demon View Post
    When you go into women's clothes shops, they have sections with loads of fashionable clothes for the lady with the "fuller figure". When you go to blokes shops, if you are over a 38 waist, you've had it....nowt, nada, zilch, zippo....
    Mind you, it's tricky to get 30 waist stuff, too. They're just selling to the mass market.

Registered User Katie Kicks Ass's Avatar

Reading all this is making me worry. I'm only 5'4 so every inch shows more than on a taller person,
    I put on over 2 stone in about a week and it isnt shifting, the only thing that changed was I started exercising, and stopped eating frozen pizzas/takeaways/mcdonalds every day.
    Maybe I should go back to no exercise and eating junk food.
    If I put all this weight on at only 18 goodness knows what will happen when I hit 40?

ps if there is someone who has a clue about why this has happened pm me.

Quote Originally Posted by Katie Kicks Ass View Post
    Reading all this is making me worry. I'm only 5'4 so every inch shows more than on a taller person,
    I put on over 2 stone in about a week and it isnt shifting, the only thing that changed was I started exercising, and stopped eating frozen pizzas/takeaways/mcdonalds every day.
    Maybe I should go back to no exercise and eating junk food.
    If I put all this weight on at only 18 goodness knows what will happen when I hit 40?

ps if there is someone who has a clue about why this has happened pm me.
    No if you go back to no excerise and eating junk food its not healthy!!!

Change your diet if your current diet is not working for you. You just got to take care of your daily intake of whatever you may eat.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    Mind you, it's tricky to get 30 waist stuff, too. They're just selling to the mass market.
    Tell me about it

In Singapore (three months there) I went to the gym (so cheap...less than a quid for a few hours!!) to build up a bit of upper body strength but found that although I got stronger, it screwed up my joints and everything clicks like crazy now. So maybe heavy weights are not the answer.

After gym (or sometimes before) I did a few laps around the track (free!!!) which I found really helpful. I found I was leaping around the MRT station without getting puffed out!

But the best thing was the swimming (less than a quid for all day in an Olympic sized pool in the fresh air!). At first I couldn't front crawl 50 metres without doubt and by the end I could swim indefinitely if I could take the boredom. I noticed that my body changed a lot thorugh the swimming. More elongated and tighter, getting towards the swimmers bodies that I saw on TV.I did notice that swimming wasn't totally stress less though as my feet smoetimes hurt at the joints. I swam in the rian as well (hey was already wet!) but I had to get out if it was too bad because apprently in a thunder storm, you can get seriously fried. i bet I would taste good though as I had a good diet in Singapore.

I usually did all three and regret doing weights really. Overdid it and was not taking much protein powder because I heard they were bad for your kidneys.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    2 ways to deal with this one.... do the less food and gym thing, or earn lots of cash...

Both can attract the oppostie sex... and make you feel good.
    Ahem ... as you well know the easiest and guaranteed way to attract the opposite sex is just to become a MJ instructor.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    So ... any practical suggestions from the Forum as to how the +40 brigade can get back into shape?
    If your joints can take it, why not try running? It requires relatively little kit (but getting a pair of running shoes suitable for your feet is absolutely essential - some sports shops offer a service to analyse your gait and shoe requirements - and ladies need a really good high-impact sports bra), is extremely flexible (you can run anytime, anywhere, for as long as time permits) and is an efficient way of burning calories and improving cardiovascular fitness, so I'm told. If you are worried about your knees and ankles, you could run off-road.

I know that I could lose more weight by training more often and making changes to my diet, but if I'm pushed for time even getting out for a short run really improves my sense of well-being. Also, the marathon training really toned up parts no other exercise had ever been able to reach - something I hardly thought possible after the age of thirty

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Ahem ... as you well know the easiest and guaranteed way to attract the opposite sex is just to become a MJ instructor.
    True, but don't tell everyone Gus.

If you tell everyone, we would get inexperienced dancers applying to teach.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    But the best thing was the swimming

I've been doing swimming for the past few month - there's a 33m pool locally which is great for that, and I've been working my way up gradually. I did 45 length yesterday lunchtime

Swimming's non-weight-bearing, it works a lot of areas, it requires minimal kit, it's easy to measure progress, and it allows you to take things at your own pace.

Thread Information