Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Combatting Middle Aged Spread

Combatting Middle Aged Spread

...inspired by DTS's "Not as Young" thread.

I suppose it comes to us all. Even after spending most of our 20's and 30's in the gym or playing sport ... one day we wake up and we find the the Fat Fairy came overnight and now we suddenly have a spare tire where our abs used to be. For me it came when I hit 40. One day in shape, the day after my belly was bigger than my boobs. Its all the more worrying because I'm a ectomorph body shape, traditionally skinny and low body fat. Not the case any more.

I know the problem is due, to an extent, to age and the fact that I don't get my ugly butt into the gym so much .. but work, lifestyle and lack of motivation seem to work against it. So ... any practical suggestions from the Forum as to how the +40 brigade can get back into shape?

Commercial Operator

Re: Combatting Middle Aged Spread

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post

I suppose it comes to us all. Even after spending most of our 20's and 30's in the gym or playing sport ... one day we wake up and we find the the Fat Fairy came overnight and now we suddenly have a spare tire where our abs used to be. For me it came when I hit 40. One day in shape, the day after my belly was bigger than my boobs. Its all the more worrying because I'm a ectomorph body shape, traditionally skinny and low body fat. Not the case any more.

I know the problem is due, to an extent, to age and the fact that I don't get my ugly butt into the gym so much .. but work, lifestyle and lack of motivation seem to work against it. So ... any practical suggestions from the Forum as to how the +40 brigade can get back into shape?

You need to stop worrying about the waist line and start worrying about your face, plastic surgery is an option but do you have that amount of money? if not i would sugest staying in so as not to scare the children.

Quote Originally Posted by Achaeco View Post
    You need to stop worrying about the waist line and start worrying about your face, plastic surgery is an option but do you have that amount of money? if not i would sugest staying in so as not to scare the children.
    Pot, Kettle, Black?

....you need to have a chat with Mikeyr, one of the fittest 'almost 50' year olds around

I really have no right to post this as I have just finished eating a whole After Eight bar to myself

But, I would recommend commuting to work by bicycle. I absolutely love it. So long as you are willing to invest in the relevant protection measure - clothing etc. then even the worst of the English weather isnt a problem.

I understand that not everyone has the option however.

Commercial Operator

My advice is to learn to live with the shape you are. I'm 51, still have a 32" waist, but have recently noticed a bit of a belly - and my boobs are a bit bigger too, so's my chin(s).

In my mid 40s started eating smaller portions and cut pizzas down to once a week. I dance 5 or 6 nights a week and found that's really bad for my diet. I can't eat too much before a class and found that I was raiding the fridge at midnight as my hunger catches up with me around that time - and then you can't sleep so your looks suffer

I've found that a big meal at lunchtime is the answer. Then a small snack before dancing.

As I said, make sure you only have small portions but keep eating what you like. But give the gym a miss, it's boring and expensive. Go dancing more and stop worrying about your size. Learn to live in your own skin

I know the problem is due, to an extent, to age
    In your teens and 20's, if your clothes feel a bit tight, you can just cut back on your food intake for a week, but around 35 this doesn't work any more. Hence middle aged spread.

So ... any practical suggestions from the Forum as to how the +40 brigade can get back into shape?
    Don't know if it's a practical option for you, but if you were to fall head over heels in love, then throw in a little angst, the pounds would melt away.

That reply is no offence to anyone!!

So ... any practical suggestions from the Forum as to how the +40 brigade can get back into shape?
    To be honest going back to gym and taking it easy and working your way from there. Or a daily jog or long walks help you keep fit!!

Dance less Blues!

When I first started dancing, I really attacked every song. I looked like a mad crazy thing, but my did it burn some calories. Ultra-smooth not-quite falling asleep on your feet Blues just doesn't cut it

Flip me even surgeons would have a problem putting that right it would make an interesting tread, before and after, cheek implants yes or no

Pot, Kettle, Black?
    IMHO Achaeco is very handsom

Quote Originally Posted by Reet Petite View Post
    ....you need to have a chat with Mikeyr, one of the fittest 'almost 50' year olds around
    Do you honestly think at his time in life, Gus has any chance of getting close to Mikeyr

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Don't know if it's a practical option for you, but if you were to fall head over heels in love, then throw in a little angst, the pounds would melt away.

Eat less and move about more. There. Sorted.

Alternatively, you can have your cake................ just don't eat it.

Daisy

(An Official Old Git of a Little Flower)

Quote Originally Posted by FirstMove View Post
    Dance less Blues!
    So true! It just doesn't burn the calories like the 'fast' stuff.

40 equals spreading waistline and changing body shape. Not sure where the 'life begins' bit comes from OR where it starts

For further inspiration check out the thread ' Forum diet club'

Yeah...Mickey is bloody gorgeous, fit and sexy but you kinda get the feeling that he'd look like that if he lived on pot noodles and beer.

Oh hang on, he does.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    In your teens and 20's, if your clothes feel a bit tight, you can just cut back on your food intake for a week, but around 35 this doesn't work any more.
    Worked for me

I didn't so much "spread" as "Explode"

I know I eat the wrong stuff.. I need a will power transplant

2 ways to deal with this one.... do the less food and gym thing, or earn lots of cash...

Both can attract the oppostie sex... and make you feel good.

Or were you just wanting to be 20 again?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    2 ways to deal with this one.... do the less food and gym thing, or earn lots of cash...

Both can attract the opposite sex...
    I think it works for both sexes. Now I know why you left Brighton - you wanted to attract the opposite sex

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Worked for me
    I meant cutting back on the mars bars and the booze.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    I think it works for both sexes. Now I know why you left Brighton - you wanted to attract the opposite sex
    Yeah well, they tend to like their own kind in Brighton.

Isn't it the gay capital of the UK?

Do you have more same sex dancing at your venues Andy, compared to non Brighton venues?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    I really have no right to post this as I have just finished eating a whole After Eight bar to myself

But, I would recommend commuting to work by bicycle. I absolutely love it. So long as you are willing to invest in the relevant protection measure - clothing etc. then even the worst of the English weather isnt a problem.

I understand that not everyone has the option however.
    I would recommend avoiding the M&S full length mirrors and a letter writing campaign to M&S as to why there ‘extra large’ has been re classified as medium

Thread Information