Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: My dog has an addiction - advice needed!

  1. #1
    Commercial Operator
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    on the dancefloor
    Posts
    673
    Thanks
    66
    Thanked 33 Times in 20 Posts

    Rep Power
    7

    My dog has an addiction - advice needed!

    When I first found a trail of apple cores around the house - I have to admit, my dog was not the first to take the blame...

    It appears that my dog (a 3yr old German Shepherd) really has an addiction to apples and I'm not sure if that is an okay thing or not?

    We have 2 very large and very laden apple trees in the garden - and originally I thought my dog was using the fruit as a replacement toy. But clearly not.

    Wherever I turn there are half eaten apples and he is constantly munching on them.

    He even jumps up into the tree to get them down!

    Does anyone know - is it okay for dogs to be so partial to apples? Are they doing him any harm? He seems healthy enough...

    Oh - and how do I get him to put the cores into the bin???


  2. #2
    Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Dundee, United Kin
    Posts
    5,844
    Thanks
    395
    Thanked 402 Times in 218 Posts

    Rep Power
    10

    Re: My dog has an addiction - advice needed!

    Dogs can eat apples, but many people suggest it's not a good idea to let them eat the core, so it seems he's being quite sensible, all by himself.
    You could always try training him, giving him a reward if he drops the core into the bin - might work
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

  3. #3
    Commercial Operator
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    on the dancefloor
    Posts
    673
    Thanks
    66
    Thanked 33 Times in 20 Posts

    Rep Power
    7

    Re: My dog has an addiction - advice needed!

    Actually - on closer investigation...

    There now also appears to be a rather incriminating trail of apple stalks too!

    How many apples can one dog eat for goodness sake!

    I've found evidence of 27 this afternoon alone


  4. #4
    Registered User Sporty Jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Welwyn Garden City Herts
    Posts
    55
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Rep Power
    7

    Re: My dog has an addiction - advice needed!

    Quote Originally Posted by SnowWhite View Post
    Actually - on closer investigation...

    There now also appears to be a rather incriminating trail of apple stalks too!

    How many apples can one dog eat for goodness sake!

    I've found evidence of 27 this afternoon alone


    Think you may need a mop in the morning

  5. #5
    Senior Member rubyred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,588
    Thanks
    396
    Thanked 375 Times in 244 Posts

    Rep Power
    7

    Re: My dog has an addiction - advice needed!

    Quote Originally Posted by SnowWhite View Post
    How many apples can one dog eat for goodness sake!

    I've found evidence of 27 this afternoon alone

    Well you may find evidence of some other incriminating kind later on
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

  6. #6
    Registered User Crazy Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Deep Blue Sea
    Posts
    5,019
    Thanks
    249
    Thanked 96 Times in 72 Posts

    Rep Power
    8

    Re: My dog has an addiction - advice needed!

    Quote Originally Posted by SnowWhite View Post
    When I first found a trail of apple cores around the house - I have to admit, my dog was not the first to take the blame...

    It appears that my dog (a 3yr old German Shepherd) really has an addiction to apples and I'm not sure if that is an okay thing or not?

    We have 2 very large and very laden apple trees in the garden - and originally I thought my dog was using the fruit as a replacement toy. But clearly not.

    Wherever I turn there are half eaten apples and he is constantly munching on them.

    He even jumps up into the tree to get them down!

    Does anyone know - is it okay for dogs to be so partial to apples? Are they doing him any harm? He seems healthy enough...

    Oh - and how do I get him to put the cores into the bin???

    I think its normal as long as he doesn't choke on the cores , is there anything else in particular he likes to eat?

    I taught Rogue (my old dog, german sheperd and i think my sister might have been watching x-men when she gave her that name) how to walk up and down the stairs she was a puppy at the time.

  7. #7
    Commercial Operator
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Stratford-upon-Avo
    Posts
    437
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts

    Rep Power
    7

    Re: My dog has an addiction - advice needed!

    Shoot it!

  8. #8
    Registered User Crazy Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Deep Blue Sea
    Posts
    5,019
    Thanks
    249
    Thanked 96 Times in 72 Posts

    Rep Power
    8

    Re: My dog has an addiction - advice needed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Achaeco View Post
    Shoot it!
    Thats evil!!! I take it you don't like dogs?

  9. #9
    Cheeky by nature Little Monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Still in Dundee....
    Posts
    4,053
    Thanks
    260
    Thanked 73 Times in 54 Posts

    Rep Power
    10

    Re: My dog has an addiction - advice needed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Achaeco View Post
    Shoot it!
    Evil person! Shoot you!

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    out of my mind back in 5 minutes
    Posts
    2,202
    Thanks
    182
    Thanked 101 Times in 62 Posts

    Rep Power
    7

    Re: My dog has an addiction - advice needed!

    Achaeco - that made me laugh

    As for the dog it is a bad idea for the dog to eat the core as the core contains pips. The pips from an apple core contain a small amount of Cyanide one won't do harm but there was one story where I heard a guy saving up the pips from 10 apples and ended up eating them and killing himself through cyanide poisoning.

    Not meaning to worry you but if he's still bounding round he seems all good and ther is no cause for concern.

    As tiggerbabe says reward him...with an apple

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Sunny KSA :/
    Posts
    3,383
    Thanks
    224
    Thanked 101 Times in 83 Posts

    Rep Power
    8

    Re: My dog has an addiction - advice needed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
    Achaeco - that made me laugh

    As for the dog it is a bad idea for the dog to eat the core as the core contains pips. The pips from an apple core contain a small amount of Cyanide one won't do harm but there was one story where I heard a guy saving up the pips from 10 apples and ended up eating them and killing himself through cyanide poisoning.
    it would seem that cyanide poisoning will only occur if you crush the seeds other wise the seed will just pass harmlessly through your system - Urban Legends Reference Pages: Apple Seeds and Cyanide

  12. #12
    Commercial Operator
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    on the dancefloor
    Posts
    673
    Thanks
    66
    Thanked 33 Times in 20 Posts

    Rep Power
    7

    Re: My dog has an addiction - advice needed!

    Update.

    It's morning.

    Dog is still alive

    There is no 'evidence' of the 27 or so apples he ate yesterday. (Thankfully - I really wasn't looking forward to that kind of start to my day! )

    He is now ignoring his normal food and staring longingly at the apple trees through the window...

    In real terms - this addiction can only last as long as the apple season I suppose...

    I am obviously relieved he probably doesn't have cyanide poisoning.

    And I am saving the option of 'shooting him' for another day!

    Many thanks everyone


  13. #13
    Senior Member rubyred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,588
    Thanks
    396
    Thanked 375 Times in 244 Posts

    Rep Power
    7

    Re: My dog has an addiction - advice needed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Yliander View Post
    it would seem that cyanide poisoning will only occur if you crush the seeds other wise the seed will just pass harmlessly through your system - Urban Legends Reference Pages: Apple Seeds and Cyanide
    My mum used to tell me that if I swollowed an apple pip a tree would grow inside me
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

  14. #14
    Registered User Crazy Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Deep Blue Sea
    Posts
    5,019
    Thanks
    249
    Thanked 96 Times in 72 Posts

    Rep Power
    8

    Re: My dog has an addiction - advice needed!

    Quote Originally Posted by rubyred View Post
    My mum used to tell me that if I swollowed an apple pip a tree would grow inside me
    Bless!!!! But imagine if that happened

  15. #15
    Commercial Operator
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Stratford-upon-Avo
    Posts
    437
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts

    Rep Power
    7

    Re: My dog has an addiction - advice needed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Shark View Post
    Thats evil!!! I take it you don't like dogs?
    Oh no, i love dogs. they are for me one of the most faithfull animals you could have and not forgetting they roast very well and make a wicked sandwitch.

  16. #16
    Registered User Crazy Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Deep Blue Sea
    Posts
    5,019
    Thanks
    249
    Thanked 96 Times in 72 Posts

    Rep Power
    8

    Re: My dog has an addiction - advice needed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Achaeco View Post
    Oh no, i love dogs. they are for me one of the most faithfull animals you could have and not forgetting they roast very well and make a wicked sandwitch.
    If only that was on the menu i'd try it

  17. #17
    Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Rugby
    Posts
    6,159
    Thanks
    215
    Thanked 320 Times in 162 Posts

    Rep Power
    11

    Re: My dog has an addiction - advice needed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Achaeco View Post
    not forgetting they roast very well and make a wicked sandwitch.
    And of course, great coats!

    (I'm still trying to get mine to make me a sandwich.)

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Waltham abbey
    Posts
    4,610
    Thanks
    382
    Thanked 354 Times in 206 Posts

    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: My dog has an addiction - advice needed!

    My dog - a labrador- does the same thing. I think it like when they eat grass and it usually only lasts a few weeks. It did however, give him the trots.... So Sara - keep an eye out for an unexpected runny package somewhere..

  19. #19
    Registered User Trousers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,349
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 42 Times in 29 Posts

    Rep Power
    8

    Re: My dog has an addiction - advice needed!

    Were any of the apples likely to have been over ripe Snowy?

    Fermenting Apples = Pi55ed animals



    He could be an Alchy. . .

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    bedford
    Posts
    4,899
    Thanks
    240
    Thanked 219 Times in 155 Posts

    Rep Power
    11

    Re: My dog has an addiction - advice needed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Achaeco View Post
    Oh no, i love dogs. they are for me one of the most faithfull animals you could have and not forgetting they roast very well and make a wicked sandwitch.
    If we are talking hotdogs, I prefer greyhound. I like my fast food fast.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Neighbour Problems - Advice Please
    By Isis in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 5th-September-2007, 08:37 AM
  2. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 21st-August-2007, 11:02 AM
  3. Sony Ericsson W850i advice needed
    By Caz in forum Geeks' Corner
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 9th-July-2007, 05:16 PM
  4. 101 Really Useful Websites - from the Independant
    By McJester in forum Geeks' Corner
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 14th-June-2007, 01:56 PM
  5. Shoe advice needed...
    By Terpsichorea in forum Intermediate Corner
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 6th-March-2007, 03:37 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •