Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: identifying who sent rep

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: identifying who sent rep

Quote Originally Posted by Shea View Post
    Apparently “rep is boring”!

But now I’ve upgraded to Silver I know who you are!!
    My work here is done. (rides off toward sunset)

Enjoy the sunset DS!

By the way, before anyone else gets offended (and not referring to DS, I hasten to add!) this is all just a bit of fun! Not to be taken seriously!!

Hey, it's Friday with dancin to be had at the weekend!

Keep smiling!

Not to be taken seriously!!
    Best way to view rep. Its the comments that matter to me, the fact that someone clicks on the button and gives a comment on my post - that's what I like, it doesn't matter whether its worth 1 rep point or 10.

The 'rep is boring' comment is bizzare, if someone thinks that why bother to read this thread? And then to use neg rep as a way to comment on thinking rep is boring...

Hey, it's Friday with dancin to be had at the weekend!
    I wish!

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Best way to view rep. Its the comments that matter to me, the fact that someone clicks on the button and gives a comment on my post - that's what I like, it doesn't matter whether its worth 1 rep point or 10.

The 'rep is boring' comment is bizzare, if someone thinks that why bother to read this thread? And then to use neg rep as a way to comment on thinking rep is boring...
    Its called irony - as you say, the "best way view rep " is to not take it seriously. Ironic that you criticise the use of rep when you're not talking it seriously, unless you too are being ironic

Its just a shame that I'm not wearing a shirt today, all this irony would be doing it a world of good. Dress down Fridays - I'm wearing a leotard

As others have said "A traffic jam when you're already late" is not ironic, its bad planning

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I thought you'd gone off into the sunset already?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Its called irony - as you say, the "best way view rep " is to not take it seriously. Ironic that you criticise the use of rep when you're not talking it seriously, unless you too are being ironic
    I did wonder if it was irony - it would have worked perfectly as irony if it was positive rep saying 'rep is boring'.

And Shea is new to the rep thing, it would be nice to let her have a few days of getting rep before applying the neg rep.

(That leotard is very fetching on you!)

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    I thought you'd gone off into the sunset already?
    theres t'internet access there too

I did wonder if it was irony - it would have worked perfectly as irony if it was positive rep saying 'rep is boring'.
    DS's rep was amusing but I got another neg rep comment from someone else who in my opinion seemed to take it all a tad seriously. But I better stop now before I get my wrists slapped again for complaining!! (that was a joke! Phew, this forum's hard work!)

And Shea is new to the rep thing, it would be nice to let her have a few days of getting rep before applying the neg rep.
    Thanks!

Hmm.....dress down Friday's and leotards....that's giving me ideas!!

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

but the conversation was all about the positive aspect of rep, so neg made it extra ironic, not signing it - even more so

What, and make her think the forum is some luvy duvy place of positivism ? nah. Sooner or later she'll stumble into a Barry thread

Quote Originally Posted by Caz
    Who would want to neg rep you??? you are fab xx
    Neg rep does not affect; job prospects, ability to win a Nobel Prize, your chances of signing for Man Utd or your fab ratio. No really!

As long as I look better than George Galloway in one....just

As others have said "A traffic jam when you're already late" is not ironic, its bad planning
    unless you're on the Council board responsible for road planning .. THEN it's ironic. (yeah I saw that show too!)

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    unless you're on the Council board responsible for road planning .. THEN it's ironic. (yeah I saw that show too!)
    i don't know what show you mean, I merely refer to the song

but the conversation was all about the positive aspect of rep, so neg made it extra ironic, not signing it - even more so
    Signing would make it clear it was ironic... unsigned neg rep with that comment, not knowing who it was would lead to the reaction I had (which I revised when I knew who sent it!) which was that it was petty. There is occasional an element of that glimpsed on here...

What, and make her think the forum is some luvy duvy place of positivism ? nah. Sooner or later she'll stumble into a Barry thread
    What, you mean he isn't being ironic too?

As long as I look better than George Galloway in one....just
    Definitely. But only because you're wearing matching leggings.

Is there a way of seeing rep from a few months back? Someone left me a very interesting rep comment and now I'm a silver member I can't find out who left it because it was months and months ago when it was sent!

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Is there a way of seeing rep from a few months back?
    I believe if you ignore everyone who recently sent you rep you may be able to backtrack.
    Alternatively, you can click the scales next to the post you made that was repped.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiky Steve View Post
    Is it the same for negative rep?

Sorry too busy to read the manual.
    After a really busy time at work I have finally had the time to investigate.

This not actually answered in the FAQ. Although it has been answered in a thread about rep.

Silver membership allows you to see who has sent negative rep as well positive rep.

Would you like to know what spineless person threw a stone through your window. In the case of a window you will probably never know and you have to fix your window yourself.

You can negate the extra insult of anonymity of neg rep by getting silver membership starting from £6 for three months and takes seconds with pay pal.

Definately worth the money in my opinion.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Is there a way of seeing rep from a few months back? Someone left me a very interesting rep comment and now I'm a silver member I can't find out who left it because it was months and months ago when it was sent!
    I think there might be a couple of ways...

If you know what post generated the rep, click the rep icon on that post and you will maybe be shown it.

Otherwise, PM a moderator with details, and if they've got the time they might take the trouble to digging through to find it.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Would you like to know what spineless person threw a stone through your window. In the case of a window you will probably never know and you have to fix your window yourself.
    Blimey, let's get a bit of perspective here, huh?

It's a comment saying that someone disagrees / disapproves of a post, that's all. It's not like someone assaulting you or something.

Although, that said, personally abusive comments on reps / PMs, if reported, will be treated in the same way as publicly-posted abusive comments. This forum is not a flame-zone.

You can negate the extra insult of anonymity of neg rep by getting silver membership starting from £6 for three months and takes seconds with pay pal.

Definately worth the money in my opinion.

Steve
    I hate to admit it, but the "can see who sent rep" feature seems to be one of the biggest selling points of Silver Membership...

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Blimey, let's get a bit of perspective here, huh?

It's a comment saying that someone disagrees / disapproves of a post, that's all. It's not like someone assaulting you or something.
    Thanks David.

It's the not knowing who gave the neg rep. It feels underhand and the FAQ implies this is done to cause offence. You get a few neg reps and you imagine all the different people that don't like what you have to say or the fact that people are generally being forum hotshots and unhelpful.

When you know you can realise it's just one or two people and suddenly the rest of the community becomes a lot more friendly.

Yes rep is nothing physical. If I were to walk up to you and make a rude gester or swear at you again that's nothing physical, but matters of the mind can be tricky. Something can happen one day and you laugh another day it invokes a different reaction.

All that said, I had gone off posting due to neg rep the major thing being it cannot be debated without attracting more neg rep. Now I am happy. I can deal with any feedback be it negative or positive. I just mean a simple PM to gain clarity for example.

I am so happy today that I cannot rep again until tomorrow.

Steve

I had gone off posting due to neg rep the major thing being it cannot be debated without attracting more neg rep. Now I am happy. I can deal with any feedback be it negative or positive. I just mean a simple PM to gain clarity for example.
    The great thing about the current system is that it allows you to be happy in knowing who is sending you rep, and it allows me to be happy in not knowing the same thing.

Happiness for all!

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    The great thing about the current system is that it allows you to be happy in knowing who is sending you rep, and it allows me to be happy in not knowing the same thing.

Happiness for all!
    For me I happy with people who encourage and are helpful and who emphasise before criticising. People who give out as much positive vibes and feedback as they give out negative.

For me I can ignore the people who are only ever negative toward me. For me their feedback becomes worthless and invalid.

Steve

Thread Information