Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: To Talc or Not To Talc

Re: To Talc or Not To Talc

Quote Originally Posted by drathzel View Post
    its not that fast that it would cause problems
    Definitely not! In general its a pretty slow floor, even with smooth soles. (And yes, I'm one of the ones who use the little talc pile which is right over at the slow side.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles View Post
    Some venues say that talc wrecks the floor, though i've never understood why or how. Can anyone shed any light on this?
    I would have thought talc would have a mild sanding action on pretty much any type of floor - not necessarily good for all of them.

I've seen people walk over the entire floor at the beginning of the dance and sprinkle baby powder as if they were dusting a cake. This is OVERKILL. At home, we use something called dance-wax... it's just as slippy but doesn't have that dusty effect and doesn't leave as many white prints on your shoes and clothes.

I prefer a fast floor, but I also choose to dance in leather and chromed shoes so that I can have the fastest floor possible. It's true... dancing in trainers or anything with a rubber sole is going to wreck your knees and hips in the long-run.

If you are going to apply talc or any form of powder, put it in the corner where people can pick up a little on the soles of their shoes... but don't spread it over the whole damn thing.

Saturday night at Breeze, Lucky had to do our performance in baref eet because it was too slick, despite Mike's attempts to remove some of the wayward talc. I sprayed my shoes with water but that doesn't last long.

I've heard that baby powder can creep in between floorboards and cause problems, but I've no evidence to back that up. I've also heard that you can reduce squeaks that way too... but who knows? I imagine it's not great for the finish.

If you have a heavy duty water or oil spill, nothing cleans a floor better than throwing down some cornmeal (or grits) and then sweeping it away.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby View Post

I've heard that baby powder can creep in between floorboards and cause problems, but I've no evidence to back that up. I've also heard that you can reduce squeaks that way too... but who knows? I imagine it's not great for the finish.
    Ruby, a little baby powder does wanders for cracks and crevices.....

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    (I'm manfully resisting the temptation to name and shame the venue in question here, if only because I wouldn't want to infract myself...)
    I'll do it if you want.

So, don't go until they improve the floor. That's what I've done with Evil Venue (not, amazingly, Chiswick ).
    Is this why we haven't seen you at Berko lately? The floors were truly terrible a few weeks ago and Jilly swiped all my talc to tackle it. I believe the floors are much better there now after several serious complaints were made Hopefully we'll see you there soon?

I will not dance on sticky floors - I only have to turn awkwardly and my kneecap will be wrenched out and I will be in a leg brace and on crutches for the best part of 4 months with a few more months in physio

Ooh, Icey beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    Ooh, Icey beat me to it.
    Um, am I going to be infracticated now? I was only passing comment

It's not as painful as it sounds, honest. Just take it gracefully.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTomato View Post
    I would have thought talc would have a mild sanding action on pretty much any type of floor - not necessarily good for all of them.
    Apparently not.. I thought this initially but with just a very quick search on google it seemed to suggest that talc is none abrasive and that the platelets within the talc's chemical composition create a sliding effect rather than an abrasive effect.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    Is this why we haven't seen you at Berko lately?
    You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment...

The floors were truly terrible a few weeks ago and Jilly swiped all my talc to tackle it.
    Shocking, I hope the venue manager didn't see her do it

I will not dance on sticky floors - I only have to turn awkwardly and my kneecap will be wrenched out and I will be in a leg brace and on crutches for the best part of 4 months with a few more months in physio
    I'm not that bad, but yes, I've definitely developed a zero-tolerance policy for poor floors. It's just not worth it, it doesn't matter how good the dancers are, or how sublime the music is.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    Thanks Minnie. I was just wondering about this... should I invest in a tin of talc for Saturday night when I go to Chiswick... Might help with that notorious floor.

(and if you see any small piles of white powder in the ladies loos, you'll know I've not been up to anything more nefarious than talcing my shoes!)
    Now here is a poser for you, Public Liability, in a world of injury claiming. Whose fault is it, if some one was to slip/fall on a talc on the floor and bang their head causing injury(possible brain injury) and potential £5 millions claim. If the venue organisor had not put it down, is the person whose owns the talc responsible or the person who put it on the floors?? whats your thoughts??

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Now here is a poser for you, Public Liability, in a world of injury claiming. Whose fault is it, if some one was to slip/fall on a talc on the floor and bang their head causing injury(possible brain injury) and potential £5 millions claim. If the venue organisor had not put it down, is the person whose owns the talc responsible or the person who put it on the floors?? whats your thoughts??
    Also - if it was in a pile at one side, or applied off the floor, does that change things? If it was on the actual floor accidentally, rather than applied all over the floor.

Slippiest thing I've ever come across on a floor was a spilled drink. So who is responsible then?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Also - if it was in a pile at one side, or applied off the floor, does that change things? If it was on the actual floor accidentally, rather than applied all over the floor.

Slippiest thing I've ever come across on a floor was a spilled drink. So who is responsible then?
    NO I believe from an insurance view

If a drink is spilled then the onus is on that person to act responsible and get it reported so it can be cleaned up, BUT how many ever do.

If someone has ever slipped over on talc or liquid share your thoughts too.

Ever seen an idiot walk over a busy dance floor carrying drinks?? I have!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby View Post

It's true... dancing in trainers or anything with a rubber sole is going to wreck your knees and hips in the long-run.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post

I'm fully aware it's a problem (I had 6 months of treatment on a knee caused, I'm sure, by dancing in trainers when I started out). However I'm unconvinced it's not fixable by sensible choice of shoes and technique. But once you start adding talc to the floors, you are pretty much throwing sensible shoes out of the window.

Edit: if Ceroc wanted to protect people's knees, the #1 thing they could do is advise beginners not to wear trainers. (Maybe they do these days).
    Well, it's news to me.

I just bought my 3rd pair of trainers thinking the second pair were not cushioning me due to being worn out, though they looked ok - I had that heel pain thing that Lory has now.

I have knee and hip problems and have been dancing in bloch trainers since Jan 2005 and hardly ever wear my leather soles or my suede soles.

The latest injury was on a bad floor in my new trainers. Though it didn't hurt till the next day.

I'm glad I saw this, thanks

Will just carry the trainers for a very fast floor - though they are rare in London.

Commercial Operator

One tip: make sure you don't do it in front of Evil Venue Managers who are more worried about their precious floor than they are about their dancers' health - as has happened to me...

Seriously, I'd recommend being very discreet, and / or checking with the Management, beforehand.
    David you Im sure are aware each venue has to have Public Liability insurance, I would say they are more are worried about possible accidents from slipping over, well maybe some dont. When a organsior takes on that venue of a night he should inspect the floor(venue) and if theres a problem, report it. If he doesnt and makes changes, he is now responsible. The organisor maybe not be allowed to do anything to the floor because of their contract with venues. Have you ever hired a dance hall?

what happened to you?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post
    Well Talc has officially been banned from Stockport Town Hall. Apparantly the venue could close or something due to safety reasons if it is caught in use again.

As for me I had tried it once and (someone elses talc floor patch) and it does work as this floor was particularly sticky that evening.

But really it could just be an accident waiting to happen if it works too well.
    Public Liability risk of insurance claim conditions no doubt ruling here

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    I have knee and hip problems and have been dancing in bloch trainers since Jan 2005 and hardly ever wear my leather soles or my suede soles.
    I would definitely find dancing in trainers makes my knees sore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    I'm glad I saw this, thanks

Will just carry the trainers for a very fast floor - though they are rare in London.
    I used to use mine for workshops, but now wear suede soled practice shoes even for workshops.

My old venue (MJ in NI pre Ceroc) sometimes had a really fast floor and the trainers were useful then!

Certainly worth opting for faster shoes for a while and see if that helps your knee and hip problems.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    the venue management make no attempt to improve matters and refuse to let dancers use talc (and I don't like really fast floors, I just hate really slow ones) then its pretty simple really. I just won't go to that venue very often.

And while a very slippy, overtalced floor can lead to falls, so can a really sticky one occasionally! I don't like over slippy or over sticky, but its easier to do something about overly slippy by changing my shoes.
    An organisor has Public Liability cover, he has to worry he doesnt get a claim! let alone poor someone being actually injured, best to sadly avoid that venue if the floor is "badly" consistent. If they put Talc down they are now responsible should accidents occur from it!

Commercial Operator

Sorry, but I disagree.

You can see p....., is long-term damage done to knee joints due to sticky floors. So people don't tend to believe that's a problem, because it's long-term, non-dramatic, and non-visible.

But then you talk to long-term dancers and you see how many of them have such problems...

Mu solution (apart from avoiding the worst offenders) is having fast and slow dance shoes, and changing accordingly.
    Yes shoes are a great idea and a must!

But Limbs wear and tear from any excerise, dont you think thats going on in you body any way??

Thread Information