Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Masterclasses at weekenders

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Re: Masterclasses at weekenders

In my original post, I was talking more about keeping the classes as they are at present, but having to pay for them. Not getting rid of the large classes and replacing them with lots of masterclasses. I think DJ's idea of different price for different sized classes would work in this case. But the original booking price would need to be lowered, otherwise everyone would be pissed off at the fact they were being made to pay for the lessons when previously they were included in the price.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    In my original post, I was talking more about keeping the classes as they are at present, but having to pay for them. Not getting rid of the large classes and replacing them with lots of masterclasses.
    And I think there's some scope for this.

Looking at the thing holistically, however, if you're going to isolate and charge for classes, it seems to make sense to use that opportunity to offer a range of different classes with a range of prices. This would make it transparent in terms of getting what you paid for, and would give the punters a lot of choice.

Possibly the large-scale classes could still be free - if only because it'd be much more hassle to process 400 £1 payments than 20 £10 ones - but yes, there'd probably be less of them, which could lead to whinges from some people (God knows why, as most people here never go to weekender classes anyhow )

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    But the original booking price would need to be lowered, otherwise everyone would be pissed off at the fact they were being made to pay for the lessons when previously they were included in the price.
    Yes, it'd be well-dodgy to keep the same price and offer less product.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Just a small point. Somewhere the point has been raised that these masterclassess will get swamped out with the early arrivals. I accept its a risk .. but this wasn't my experience this weekend. I booked onto Lucky/Ruby's first workshop late on Friday, and was only the third person to book. I know some of the workshops sold out, but I'm not sure that there was a huge stampede. Maybe the appeal to the masses has been overestimated?
    I do not believe that this will be the case next time. I think there was not a huge stampede because people did not know they were happening and had not organised dance partners etc. However, next time, I, for one, will be part of the stampede to book onto them. Last year when I was at Breeze, I had a private lesson with Simon and Nicole at which I learnt much and really enjoyed. I am sure that I would find that I learnt loads in a workshop and do not mind paying £5 for it. What I do mind is paying for a weekend in March on the expectation that I will have a choice of at least 2 classes at any time during the day for which I do not have to pay extra and finding on arrival that this is not the case. After all, a lot was made of the fact in the advertising that we would not be sharing the venue this year and that we had more rooms available to us. If anything I expected a choice of more classes in my weekender price, as a result of that marketing.

Thread Information