Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter Sun

Winter Sun

A friend has proposed going away for a long weekend (3-4 days max) in late January/February as she wants to be reminded of the sun and see some daylight. Since it's a short trip, it mustn't be too far away - shortish flight (say 2.5 hours max).

Any suggestions?

Re: Winter Sun

if you only have 2.5 hours of flying time then you are probably best off heading as far south as you can in that time! Either somewhere on the south coast of Portugal/Spain or north Africa perhaps?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    A friend has proposed going away for a long weekend (3-4 days max) in late January/February as she wants to be reminded of the sun and see some daylight. Since it's a short trip, it mustn't be too far away - shortish flight (say 2.5 hours max).

Any suggestions?
    Barcelona is lovely. Not sure about the weather tho that time of the year.if not, Tenerife or lanzarote are nice but about 4 hours travel time.

I myself am just thinking of going away 29/30th Dec till just after new year on a short break or something. Was thinking of scotland as there is a new year ball or something on. Where is good to go in Scotland that time of the year for dancing and fun.?

And CHEAP PLEASE.

XXX XXX DTS Dave

Blog Entries

Any suggestions?
    Morocco is beautiful and only about 2 hours flying. French is the second language (after Arabic), but you can make yourself understood with English in most places. The mixture of African, European and Arabic cultures is amazing.

Nearly forgot, there's a fair Salsa following in Marrakech so there's dancing too!

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Morocco is beautiful and only about 2 hours flying
    When we going then?

Morocco is beautiful and only about 2 hours flying. French is the second language (after Arabic), but you can make yourself understood with English in most places. The mixture of African, European and Arabic cultures is amazing.

Nearly forgot, there's a fair Salsa following in Marrakech so there's dancing too!
    Have just been looking at Marrakech on expedia funnily enough! The friend I'm going with doesn't dance unfortunately (and no, it's not Beo!!).

Have been to Lanzarote before, and loved it, so that's a possibility to.

Keep em coming please - and if anyone has any hotel recommendations too. Am sure that in a few weeks time lots of folks will be thinking they want to see the sun.

Well if you would like to stay in my (penthouse) apartment on the Costa Calida in Spain - then it is often pleasantly warm then.

One forumite (who I have never actually met) stayed there earlier this year - and think she enjoyed it (she could give you the low down).

2 bed/2 bath all mod cons including sat. tv, DVDs, ipod speaker system and a rooftop which is all yours and where you can dance with your partner under the moonlight.

PM me if you are interested. Cheap flights go to San Javier/Murcia airport from most UK airports.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    When we going then?
    I need a second job.

I need a second job.
    Stop moaning. What else are you gonna spend your money on.

Any suggestions?
    Malta can be quite nice that time of year. Not too hot, but never really cold.

We've been considering Marrakech ourselves (me & FH) for around the Christmas/New Year time. I think I'd prefer somewhere a little less challenging though for a relaxed break.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

I agree with Trouble. Barcelona is lovely for a short break. I love wandering down Las Ramblas. Always lots going on and very eclectic shopping and nightlife. I also adore Paris but you would probably need to wrap up well!

Hammamet Yasmine just sprang to mind in Tunisia - if that's not too far for you Twirly. It's a fairly new extension of hammamet but much nicer, inexpensive and yet exclusive. All the hotels there were fabulous, food was wonderful and it was great for recharging your batteries. I actually met Jerzy Dudek (I think that's how you spell it!) one evening in our hotel and sat watching the entertainment with him.....ah fond memories

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Stop moaning. What else am I gonna spend your money on.
    Fixed that quote for you

Quote Originally Posted by littlewiggle View Post
    I agree with Trouble. Barcelona is lovely for a short break. I love wandering down Las Ramblas. Always lots going on and very eclectic shopping and nightlife. I also adore Paris but you would probably need to wrap up well!
    Yes - one of the best Xmas's ever we had was in Barcelona about 5 years ago. Fantastic fun! And great weather - on the beach drinking cocktails on Boxing Day........

Following the advice up there, I'd mention that if you do decide to go to Tunisia or Morocco, don't expect it to be very warm. It'll be about April temperatures (unless you go to the desert in which case you'll freeze your socks off) - if that's warm enough for you then I'd second the recommendation of Tunisia as a friendly country where you don't have to feel guilty for not being Muslim.

Any suggestions?
    a bit random and longer flying time than you asked.....but a while back some friends and i went to South africa for under a week for a wedding, thereis only an hour or 2 max time difference and with an over night flight it meant we slept as usual on the plane, night flight back meant no jet lag.......add into the equation that S.A was ridiculously cheap meant it was all worth while!

Quote Originally Posted by FoxyFunkster View Post
    South Africa

I would actually like my gorgeous girlfriend to come back you know!! What you got against Twirly to send her to the most dangerous country in the world at the moment??

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    Was thinking of scotland as there is a new year ball or something on. Where is good to go in Scotland that time of the year for dancing and fun.?
    There is the Hogmanay party in Perth on the 31st December. There are still a few rooms available at the Lodges next door for £30 per person.
    If you drive up, you could then head up to Inverness as the class is on there on Thursday 3rd January (it's in the Waterside Hotel, they might have a deal on for cheaper rooms at that time of the year). Inverness is beautiful and it's only a 2 hour drive from Perth.

Alternatively, Travelodges often have £15 or £26 rooms if you book them far enough in advance.
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerbabe View Post
    There is the Hogmanay party in Perth on the 31st December. There are still a few rooms available at the Lodges next door for £30 per person.
    If you drive up, you could then head up to Inverness as the class is on there on Thursday 3rd January (it's in the Waterside Hotel, they might have a deal on for cheaper rooms at that time of the year). Inverness is beautiful and it's only a 2 hour drive from Perth.

Alternatively, Travelodges often have £15 or £26 rooms if you book them far enough in advance.
    Are you on commission from the Scottish Tourist Board

Thread Information