Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Blues Championships - was it Blues?

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Blues Championships - was it Blues?

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    I think that's unfair. Rocky & co. can communicate very clearly, but if the competitors have not danced Blues or been taught Blues (as opposed to slow Modern Jive) then they will struggle. That's not the fault of the organisers. Next year, maybe it will be better.
    Weeellll.. if the message isn't communicated clearly, is that the fault of the communicator or the audience?

I don't know what guidance was given at the event itself, but the rules themselves stated:
    • The essence of Blues dancing is close and connected and couples will be expected to demonstrate this throughout the competition.
    • Whilst it will be acceptable for people to interpret the music to adopt fusion styles of Blues (Swing Blues, Jive Blues, West Coast Blues) dancing an outright non blues style will result in disqualification. This is not a West Coast Swing or Modern Jive competition
    Whilst that's fairly clear as far as it goes, it doesn't go very far.

I appreciate that "defining blues" is extremely difficult, but possibly clips of Blues dancing could have been provided on the site, as they have been on this thread, to illustrate the type of dancing?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Amir View Post
    Either way, I think we should make more use of blindfolds, and possibly handcuffs as well.
    Sarah had her eyes closed for most of her dancing, I believe - so that obviously works.

Commercial Operator

I sure did!!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Weeellll.. if the message isn't communicated clearly, is that the fault of the communicator or the audience?
    Was it a communication problem?
    The competitors were evidently capable of dancing slow Modern Jive.
    Were they all capable of dancing Blues?

Blog Entries

Was it a communication problem?
    The competitors were evidently capable of dancing slow Modern Jive.
    Were they all capable of dancing Blues?
    Fair enough. In that case, why hold a competition where many (most?) of the competitors can't dance in the style required? I mean, would you have a Tango or WCS competition at a Ceroc weekender?

Although you could argue that part of the purpose is to promote blues - and that's succeeded, look at the discussions here for example.

.........I mean, would you have a Tango or WCS competition at a Ceroc weekender?

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post

Well if PaulF is teaching WCS for Ceroc - why shouldn't they have a comp in time

--ooOoo--

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

No doubt, with Jive Addiction and LeRoc both hosting WCS comps, Ceroc will feel the need to 'keep up with the Jones's' eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    Well if PaulF is teaching WCS for Ceroc - why shouldn't they have a comp in time
    Just like the Lindy competition Ceroc run, since CerocPlus have been teaching lindy?
    SpinDr

Quote Originally Posted by spindr View Post
    Just like the Lindy competition Ceroc run, since CerocPlus have been teaching lindy?
    SpinDr
    Blackpool Comp had Lindy entries at one time - but not enought people entered I would think if there enough contenders they (Ceroc) might think about it, however, the MJ to Westies are far more competitive that the MJ to Lindy dancers

--ooOoo--

So, it's that time of year again:

CEROC ESCAPE

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Rules
    Couples will dance to music chosen by the organisers which may be of any slow Blues fusion genre.
    Couples will dance to 2 pieces of music (one 80 – 100 bpm and one 100 – 120 bpm)
    Blues dance is lead by the music and this is a freestyle competition, so couples will be marked down if there is evidence of an entirely choreographed routine.
    We want this to remain a Blues ‘dance’ competition, so only 1 Aerial* move will be permitted per couple per piece of music...
    The essence of Blues dancing is close and connected and couples will be expected to demonstrate this throughout the competition.
    Whilst it will be acceptable for people to interpret the music to adopt fusion styles of Blues (Swing Blues, Jive Blues, West Coast Blues) dancing an outright non blues style will result in disqualification. This is not a West Coast Swing or Modern Jive competition.
    I'm a little surprised that the music is specifically going to be Blues fusion. I would have thought unfused Blues music would be an option. Not that I can tell the difference. Also, Lucky will be teaching again:

Lucky & chicago based dancer Ruby are teaching 4 classes for us over the course of this weekend including 2 Masterclasses all centered around Blues dancing to help all those competitors out there. ... Ever wonder how to respond to your partners own creative movement and interpretation? Lucky & Ruby show you how and this fantastic Freestyle Blues Masterclass. (Intermediate & Advanced Blues Dancers)
    The 2nd of Lucky’s masterclasses is Flip Flop & Fly. Using exercises in shared weight bearing and partner connection, this class will teach fun lifts and dips to add to your dancing.
    Lucky can also be seen in the Utopia Room teaching Fun’d’Mentals (3 main styles of vintage blues – Ballroomin’, Jukin’ & Slow Drag 2.30pm Saturday) and Blango (mixing the upright formality of tango with the down home feeling of blues 3.45pm Sunday).
    Hands up any Advanced Blues Dancers in the UK? That detail aside, the Fun'd'Mentals class sounds well worth a trip.

Also, Lucky will be teaching again: Hands up any Advanced Blues Dancers in the UK?
    Per earlier debate, given that Lucky's style of Blues is radically different to UK style Blues (incompatible?), I'm a bit unsure as to how these workshops will work wrt the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Per earlier debate, given that Lucky's style of Blues is radically different to UK style Blues (incompatible?), I'm a bit unsure as to how these workshops will work wrt the competition.
    I wouldn't say the styles are incompatible if they were that different then UK follows would struggle to follow him?

Thread Information