Thread: Is it the modem or the computer???

Is it the modem or the computer???

As I mentioned in a previous post I have:

1. (Frodo). An upstairs computer (I think it is relatively new). Operating system is Windows 98. Seems really quick in most operations. Seems like a decent computer. Can read my photos on CD but can't write to the CD! This is the computer that I previously complained about, saying I couldn't find a driver/ modem for it. In fact it is the driver that is the issue as I did have a modem (Rockwell that can go 56k whatever it is) but lost the driver disc. Weird I know…I have kept all the crappy discs and lost the important one!

2. (Sam). A downstairs computer which is really old. Operating system is Windows 95. Conks out on the internet when too much information. Groans like its got a tummy ache everytime you get it to do something. Can't even read the photoes on my CD. Generally annoying slow particularly on the internet. Internal modem.

Somehow I managed to find an internal driver for my Rockwell modem for Frodo last night. I thought, yes, at last I can put my website on Frodo onto the internet. But guess what. After I connected it to the internet (which took ages) I found that the connection is incredibly and unebelievably slow.

Which do you think is making it slow? The Rockwell modem or the computer?

Re: Is it the modem or the computer???

Hi Ste,

have you used your phone line before for internet access? If so has it been al right, as some time it can be interference on the phone line that can lead to really low speeds. If you have someone who can bring round a laptop which has a working modem and check what connection speed they are getting (the ibook you have has a built in modem if you have the cable for it).

In turn it could be the driver as it may not be optimised correctly, in which case try and track down a newer one. If you can let me know any info about the rockwell modem I'll see what I can find.

HTH,
    Paul

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

a 56k modem - how quaint I used to have a 1200 bps modem getting connected to a BBS at 300 bps is an interesting ticker tape experience. I think this is your problem.

Last edited by bigdjiver; 15th-October-2007 at 12:09 PM. Reason: forum software ruined attempted joke ( :-<)

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

i'm making an intelligent guess as to what the joke would have been, and I'm laughing

Thread Information