Thread: Inkjet printer - How I saved money, but how do I clean my hands????

Inkjet printer - How I saved money, but how do I clean my hands????

Usually when I come onto the forum I ask a lot of questions because I want some input into something I don't know about.

Well I discovered something today so I will share that with you!

I get through a lot of Lexmark cartridges because my downstairs PC has a Lexmark printer which is surprisingly good. The cartridges are quite dear and even Cartridge World charges a lot to refill (£!4) and this only does about 500 pages or so.

On my visit to Tesco (yes I am an utter hypocrite) I discovered an inkjet refill product. Back at home I couldn't open it and had to use a Stanley knife. Not happy. Then I tried to locate my Lexmark cartridge on the instructions. It wasn't there. Now I am thinking "This is another super Ste moment" (ie where I start attempting to do something and fall flat on my face). Then I guess that the refill doesn't require me to take the top off. There is a little hole and surely I can inject the ink into it? So I take off the cap to the ink bottle, puncture it and twiddle together the syringe needle and the needle and then suck it up. So far so good. The syringe works. But I don't know why the manufacturers were so thick as to not develop a better connection between the syringe and the needle.

Then I stick the needle into the cartridge hole. There is a bit of resistance because there is a bit of sponge inside. OK.To be expected. So I press down on the syringe button slowly. Quite slowly. All my stuff is on top of a liverpool Echo. Playing safe. I am doing it in the lounge and can't be bothered to do it outside. Why? Because SCD is on and I adore Penny Lancaster. I have loved her since I was knee high to a grasshopper (well I still am …and knee high to Penny Lancaster) Suddenly SPLOOOOOSH! The contents of the syringe explode through the weak connection between the syringe and needle and all over the carpet, my trousers, hitting the Chinese table .Ink is gushing out of the cartridge. My hands are black (they still are…Even my AMWAY LOC can't remove it all).

So I go outside. Angry, Thinking of how I am going to write to Tesco to complain about the syringe and needle link. What a completely stupid product. How utterly useless.

Well, anyway I try again. This time I press down on the syringe and yes, the ink goes settles into the cartridge.

With a sense of trepidation and resignation I dry off the cartridge and stick it into the printer.

To my surprise the printer prints. The ink works! So instead of costing me £14, I spent almost £7 but have two more bottles of ink left. The downside obviously is that the potential cleaning bill could be huge.

I still think that I might complain about the truly stupid syringe/needle link. Why don't makes ever seem to try out their own products.

But at least I'll be able to print off my letter of complaint!

Inkjet printer thread 2. Saved money but how do I clean my hands????

Yes, so I managed to save a few squiddies by refilling the inkjet printer myself.

But I also made a mess and my hands are black.

It is like a scene from Macbeth. "Out darned black ink".

How do I clean my hands?Eeek!

Re: Inkjet printer thread 2. Saved money but how do I clean my hands????

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    Yes, so I managed to save a few squiddies by refilling the inkjet printer myself.

But I also made a mess and my hands are black.

It is like a scene from Macbeth. "Out darned black ink".

Once a member of the Black Hand gang, you have joined for life ... Hail, new member.

Next time:
    1) Use rubber gloves.
    2) Wear old clothes.
    3) Don't do it.

It wears off.

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    This Sounds odd.. but it does work...

Pour a handful of sugar into your hand.. now add a generous dash of washing up liquid.. run it in, rub it around, really work it around .. it's like DIY Swarfega it's a tip from my Dad who's done more than his fair share of dirty jobs..

I had thought of using sugar but dismissed the idea. Seems good though

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post

Pour a handful of sugar into your hand.. now add a generous dash of washing up liquid.. run it in, rub it around, really work it around .. it's like DIY Swarfega it's a tip from my Dad who's done more than his fair share of dirty jobs..
    I used to use sugar and washing up liquid all the time when I worked as a mechanic. Works well.

I now use disposible rubber gloves, the type you can get in a box of 50 or 100 in the supermarkets, for any messy jobs, like polishing shoes and working with ink.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post

I used to do a lot of bike maintenance, and still reckon Swarfega or Tuffanega are the best stuff to use to clean dirty hands.

However if they are not to hand, I wouldn't recommend using lots of washing-up liquid as it will damage your skin. A better alternative is using shower gel - especially if it is the moisturising kind. Don't use any water initially; just rub the sugar and shower gel on neat, and rub really well before rinsing off. The trick is not to let the water anywhere near your skin until the shower gel has had a chance to work.

(However latex/PVC gloves are so cheap nowadays that I'd suggest that this is the quickest and most practical way to deal with the problem - that's what most car mechanics seem to use nowadays).

Re: Inkjet printer - How I saved money, but how do I clean my hands????

It seems to me that the only way to avoid this happening again is to seek help for your Penny Lancaster infatuation so you can work safer outside. I mean, come on, Kelly Brooke is on the same program!!!

Nuff said!

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Lexmarks carts are always expensive. Lexmark litrally give the printers away to places like PC world and make their money on the carts.

For your info, you can not fill them indefinatly as they norm have heads on that wear out, but they are norm good for up to 20 refills.

Next time, instead of the cheap tesco cack, try a company called JC Ink. I think they sell them in Tesco. It's a better quality product.

One thing to remember, put a peice of tape over the hole. You will one day tip up the printer forgetting about the ink. You will be supprised how quick It comes out. I speak from experiance.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    It seems to me that the only way to avoid this happening again is to seek help for your Penny Lancaster infatuation so you can work safer outside. I mean, come on, Kelly Brooke is on the same program!!!

Nuff said!

I don't think I can ever get over Penny Lancaster (don't you think she's got a lovely Essex voice???) marrying that Scottish football wannabe! It was so so upsetting. GET ME SOME WABBITS FOR MY STEW !!!! Or should I say "Stew (art)".

I was going to make a joke about the way that the ink gushed out but I thought it a bit inappropriate.

Thread Information