Thread: Apple Mac tips please!

Apple Mac tips please!

Hello friends, as I mentioned in another thread I have acquired an Apple Mac (no Scouse thieving jokes or I'll come round your house with my 10 pit bull terriers (all accomplished in the removals industry) wearing my trackie).

But I digress.

Can you give me some tips on my Mac (not pit bull terrier breeding)? E.g.

1. I can't seem to connect to the internet using internet connect. I tried to download a WHSmith CD which I use on my PC (to connect to the internet) but that doesn't work either. The Mac won't read the CD.

2. Website. How do I build a website on my Mac. What are programs that are likely to be on the Mac. I saw something on the computer which only contemplates the website being put onto an Apple website without giving you other options.

3. Any other tips.

Re: Apple Mac tips please!

Hi Ste,

macs are a little bit different to PCs but you get used to them fairly quickly. Handy tip if you use the apple key and tab you can switch through open applications, just like you can with Alt + Tab on Windows.

The CD won't work because the programs are for Windows only, not Macs (though it should be able to read the CD all the same). If you can give us a bit more info on how you're trying to connect i.e. broadband, dial up, wireless, router, usb modem etc.

Never done any website building so can't help there I'm afraid.

If I can think of any other tips (having also recently switched to a mac at home) I'll let you know.

HTH
    Paul

Commercial Operator

Can you tell us what kind of Mac it is, and what OS it's running? (go to the Apple menu on the left and choose 'About this Mac' for that one)

Ah OK.

I am in the library at the moment.

Another example as to not being able to use it is when i saved a Windows 2004 doc made on my Mac to a CD. Then I put the CD in my two PCs at home and they could not read it. Then i took it to the library PC and it cannot read it either!

I thought the Mac was the answer to all my problems! (My upstairs PC does not have a modem driver but can read my Serif web design disc (therefore I cannot put my website on the internet) and my downstairs computer can't read my Serif disc although it has a modem! So I try my Mac and that can't read my Serif disc and I can't get it on the internet anyway!

I would ask my brother who gave me the Mac but he is a busy doctor now and gets angry when I ask him questions. ( And to think that i used to teach him A level biology when he was 6!)

Ste, as a mac owner for the last 7+ years (formerly a work PC user), I would never go back to having a PC. That said, because of the different operating systems, they don't share things easily. As Stray asked, what operating system are you working on and what kind of mac is it? It's difficult to begin to answer without that. Once you've done that, you say that you're trying to go online using internet connect - what settings can you see? Do you have your ISP details keyed in?

It is a iBookG4 (processor 1.33 Ghz) and the Operating System I think is "Mac OS X" version 10.4.9.

I just want to know how to do the main functions.Any tips gratefully accepted.

Why is a mac so popular when it can't read other programs and other programs can't read it's own work.

Ste, ah, so you're up to date with your OS. Main functions - well, apart from internet access & mail (I'm assuming), what else do you want to do? You should be able to see what applications are loaded by clicking on the desktop icon for the hard drive and clicking on the folder of applications.

There are lots of reasons for liking a mac (& equally lots of people who prefer PCs). Mine include viruses not being as much of a threat on a mac and most things happen with a click or double-click. Moving files is simply done by, er, moving them on the desktop. I haven't had IT back-up in the 7+ years working on my own business and three successive macs - and things just don't seem very complicated - that is, I don't have to know HOW it works to use it (PCs always seemed to need an IT support team or a level of IT understanding & constant reading of computer magazines that I didn't want to develop - but again, that's just me).

And asking why it can't read other programs seems a bit like asking why a Spanish person might not be able to understand my talking in English. Equally, I won't be able to understand their Spanish ... it doesn't make either language better, just different.

Sounds like you've got a fairly good mac.

Who is your internet provider? Meantime I can suggest these settings, which might help you to get going. Your ibook has an internal modem, so as long as you got the cable too it should be able to dial internet access no problem

Open internet connect. Pick the modem configuration and try these settings

Telephone Number: 08456653000
    Account Name:rockdirect.net
    Password:leave blank

click connect and all should be well. The ISP is from rockdirect, who make laptops. It' via an 0845 number, so the costs aren't too bad. If you can tell us who your normal ISP is then we can suggest what settings to use.

For web design software there are no obvious ones I could suggest, Serif don't make their software for the mac. A handy tip might be to look at mac computer magazines as they usually include free programs.

Another tip, if you need the # symbol you need to press fn + alt + 3

If their is a wee black triangle under a program in the dock it means the program is active, even if there are no windows visible. Click and hold on the icon to bring up a wee menu with options including closing the program

Pressing the apple key + Q = Quit current program
    Pressing the apple key + W = Close current window, or tab in firefox
    Pressing the apple key + X = Cut
    Pressing the apple key + C = Copy
    Pressing the apple key + V = Paste
    Pressing the apple key + H = Hide application
    Pressing the apple key + I = Information on selected file

Expose is very handy to use, great for picking which window you want.

Anymore tips I'll let you know

HTH
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pmjd View Post
    Another tip, if you need the # symbol you need to press fn + alt + 3
    That's "alt + 3" – holding down the "fn" key is doing absolutely nothing here.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Commercial Operator

On the web front, give iWeb a go - it's not something I've used, mind, but it seems to get some decent reviews, and it should have come pre-installed on your machine (it's part of iLife)

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    Why is a mac so popular when it can't read other programs and other programs can't read it's own work.
    Mmmm. Wrong question really. It should be able to read any PC disks. It won't be able to run PC programs any more than a PC could run Mac programs - such is the nature of computers (although ironically, the very latest Macs can, in fact, do this)

When you say that the PCs could not read your word docs - there's a couple of possible explanations. First off - could the PCs read the CDs you'd made? If so, the likely explanation is that you need to save your word docs with '.doc' on the end of the filename. Windows needs spoonfeeding somewhat, and it isn't capable of recognising that the file is a Word document unless you do this.

The other possibility is that the Mac produced a Mac-format CD, in which case Windows (not that bright) wouldn't be able to read the disc at all - I think though that the Mac shouldn't do this by default, so the former explanation is more likely.

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    That's "alt + 3" – holding down the "fn" key is doing absolutely nothing here.
    Cheers Ducasi, it was the first thing I came across in google searches that worked, I was a bit annoyed and desperate at the same time.

Proof that macs aren't perfect

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I suggest burying the Mac in a landfill site

I have a G4 as well.

Why are Macs better?

Depends what you want to use them for. The one big downside of the Macs is that the majority of software is for PC.

BUT...advantages
    1) easier to use, just generally
    2) When it comes to software, rather than having to choose between 4 or 5 different PC possiblities, Mac tends to have 1 option, which you can reasonably trust will likely be good.
    3) Particular Mac strengths - Music Production, General Music Use, Photo and Video Editing. Everything about Macs is significantly better and easier to use in these areas. As a songwriter, that's what clinched it for me with Macs.
    4) And whatever work you do, I have never had a Mac crash on me or lose work on me.

Oh and hey, they are cooler and sexier. Really. When was the last time you told somebody you had a PC to impress them?

Quote Originally Posted by pmjd View Post
    Cheers Ducasi, it was the first thing I came across in google searches that worked, I was a bit annoyed and desperate at the same time.

Proof that macs aren't perfect
    I have set my Mac to use a "U.S." keyboard layout. The only difference is that now shift-3 is '#' and option-3 is '£'. (Although it says 'alt' on the keyboard, it's really called the 'option' key.)

You can easily switch back and forward using the Input Menu – go to System Preferences –> International –> Input Menu, and as well as turning on the 'British' and 'U.S.' layouts, make sure to turn on the Character Palette and the Keyboard Viewer.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spartak Lad View Post
    BUT...advantages
    1) easier to use, just generally
    Fair enough, I can agree with that one.

2) When it comes to software, rather than having to choose between 4 or 5 different PC possibilities, Mac tends to have 1 option, which you can reasonably trust will likely be good.
    Less choice of software...thats an advantage ?

3) Particular Mac strengths - Music Production, General Music Use, Photo and Video Editing. Everything about Macs is significantly better and easier to use in these areas. As a songwriter, that's what clinched it for me with Macs.
    This is a nonsense myth propagated by people with a bias A lot of the really good software will have both PC and Mac versions and the PC is certainly not lacking in any of the areas you mention. Whats wrong with the substantially more honest approach of saying things like - nice interface, less prone to crashing and viruses, nicer looking machines ? eh ? eh ?

4) And whatever work you do, I have never had a Mac crash on me or lose work on me.
    But other people have - personal experience is all that is As I said above the MAC is less prone to "things going horribly wrong" generally and its probably better to say that rather than mention your personal experience - my experience of computers is I've had every type of OS crash on me at some time - in fact in "man hours between crashes" the Mac has been worse for me
    personally
    Oh and hey, they are cooler and sexier. Really. When was the last time you told somebody you had a PC to impress them?
    All the time...my rig is extremely cool My case cost £160 before i even put anything in it

This really shows my ignorance, but anyway...

I did a document in Word on the Mac and now don't know how to print it out. The sockets are different to the one on my inkjet. Do I need a specialsed Mac printer? I have about three printers.

And Spartak I find what you say really interesting. I write songs as well and have recorded in conventional studios with 16 track tape etc and a friend recorded me digitally some years ago. How do I record on the Mac and can I do things like dance music. I have some Zoom digital effects for guitar and a digital keyboard (just a plain keyboard).On the Mac there is a garage band programme which I did look at but didn't have a clue how to use it.

I suppose I really do have to get an Idiots Guide now. I thought I 'd be able to do a few basic things with the Mac (without too much effort) but can't even do that.

If you have a USB lead that can be attached to any of your printers then you'll be fine. If you have a parallel cable then you might be in a bit more trouble and have to get a usb-parallel converter (~£15), or probably more easily (especially as they are very cheap at the moment ~£30) a new printer.

What was the problem with the word document? Something about the cd not being read on the PC? Maybe better getting a USB stick to transfer files between your Mac and PC, just make sure the USB stick is formatted for use in windows, as the Mac can read windows 98/95 format but not vice versa.

Also there should be a compatibility check in MS Office for the mac, which will make sure that your document can be read by earlier version of MS Office. At work at the moment and don't have my Mac with me so can't check what to do

Best options I can think of though I'm sure someone else could suggest something better.

Mac can be quit easy to use, it's just that your used to a certain way of doing things on PC that puts you in a certain mindset.

Hehe. I managed to connect my Mac to the internet using a phone number and my password (my bro told me how to do it). At least that's one down.

The printer that i use the most is my humble lexmark printer. I put the CD into my Mac but the Mac says that I may need to install Mac OS 9.1 or later (Classic Support).

Does anyone have any tips? If I can get over this one, this will save me a lot of money. My PC has a very old Adobe programme and is really suffering. It is incredibly slow now and I can't really download much off the internet. Therefore I have to print off down the library and this costs a bomb.

Meglio del Cioccolato Demo

Check the Lexmark website, they should have the printer drivers for OSX

I invested in a very useful book called " The Rough Guide to Macs & OSX version 10.4 Tiger". Very useful for when I was trying to get iDVD to work.

Thread Information