Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: That first special dance.

Re: That first special dance.

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    I don't think there was a specific dance that got me hooked. There was a specific evening (fifth time I went to Ceroc), and that was the evening when everything started to click - but no special dance. Those started happening after I was already addicted.
    spooky - exactly the same for me. I went the first time with a friend who wanted to try ceroc (I long would have liked to dance but thought I would never get it anyway), there I thought the taxi dancer was really really hot so I went back the next week (that was before I figured the 2 weeks rota thing obviously). Did that 4 times (over 2 months) and thought at the 5th one that this was my last time (I couldn't 'get' it and felt silly, and wasn't making much progress with the hot guy), when it kinda clicked that night and I realised I could actually have fun with someone and the music, you know, like actually dance.

In particular I remember that guy who I thought must be really really good cause he could do dips and drops, and he did a side to side lean to me and I felt on top on the world. Silly when I look back but at the time it felt: 'WOW, I can do that too'.

I remember very clearly too the first dance that 'hooked' me to blues and musicality, it was a few months later with a brilliant blues dancer who had travelled to Abz from down south... I remember in particular a light bulb moment when I 'dragged' my foot as he lead me into a sway at the same time as the music was 'dragging'.... it just felt so perfect at the time. Awe.

No special dance as such.......but was definitely hooked the first night!

I can remember a lovely guy telling me to 'just hang on, you'll be fine' .....and the next thing I knew I was dancing

I spent the rest of the night squealing, laughing, grinning and spinning.....

...........remember the dance scene in Airplane?? need I say more

I don't really remember what hooked me to begin with, but I do remember special dances that have re-hooked me since then. You know, when you feel yourself dragging and wonder why you bothered coming to Ceroc that night, you're not having much fun and suddenly someone appears out of no where and there's that 'click' moment during the dance that makes you think 'yes!' this is why I dance.

Or is that just me?

Very tricky question.
    Prolly my fourth'ish night when a couple of beginner moves were repeated for the first time and I kinda thought 'Oh O, I know these' That was the point where everything started to move from panic to fun Long ago, but I still remember detail from that night.

Actual special individual dances, far, far too many to mention. I am a simple bloke and the (relatively) simple things, smoothness, hitting the breaks, clicking of styles etc. do it for me everytime.

Most special set of dances was H/Palais 24Hr Marathon in 96, still my most enjoyable freestyle ever. The whole thing was brill, but in the middle towards the end, there was 5/6 hours of magic virtually all with complete strangers. Some others have come close, but there was something very special about that last national Ceroc Marathon. I can't remember a single face I danced with, but the dances themselves, a sequence of pure heaven My most treasured vid/dvd
    Last edited by TA Guy; 22nd-November-2007 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HelenB View Post
    Can't remember the first time I got hooked on dancing per se, but can remember the first time I got hooked on the blues room

It was about a year ago ...
    Me too. Can't remember when I got hooked (I've always liked dancing!), but do remember when I got hooked on the blues room experience.... Southport June 2005....... My first ever weekender, and I'd found my new home...

Can't remember specific dancers or tracks, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Genevieve View Post
    No special dance as such.......but was definitely hooked the first night!
    I'm retracting my previous statement!

I danced to Glen Miller 'In the Mood' the other week........fantastic fun

early feb 2000 although i was already hooked on MJ ( I started in april 99) i met and danced with the lady who is now my wife to Santana Smooth I am lucky to say its still very special when we dance to that track

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post
    early feb 2000 although i was already hooked on MJ ( I started in april 99) i met and danced with the lady who is now my wife to Santana Smooth I am lucky to say its still very special when we dance to that track
    whoever gave me the rep for this post would you please pm, me i would like to say thanks as you left a message and didnt say who you were lol

Thread Information