Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Gender Balancing Rant!!!

Re: Gender Balancing Rant!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chef View Post
    # good stuff#

There seems to be something deep in the male mind that means they just don't want to dance with women because it is unmanly and not "cool". Until a solution to that is found then all the "bring a bloke and get in free" and "reduced prices for men" offers will just be tinkering with the deckchairs on the Titanic.

Perhaps the day will come when men want to dance more than women do. I think it would be unwise of women to hold their breath until that day arrives.
    Until a dance form is invented where the woman dance around a man while he is holding a pint of beer watching football, there will be an imbalance.

Whoever comes up with an idea of this type will make a fortune. The best leader would be the one who looks the most uninterested but still manages to time his arm positions and drinking with his partner's movements. Football rants at the right time in music would be considered a bonus.

It would also get rid of this offer and acceptance of a dance protocol and its drawbacks. The followers would just walk up to the leaders who should not take their eyes from the screen, of course. If a follower has enjoyed the dance she can show her appreciation by fetching the next pint.
    Last edited by Raul; 9th-October-2007 at 01:54 AM.

The Dashing Moderator

Many people on this thread have talked about recruiting new men.

The proposed Ceroc Central Buddy system (which was going to replace taxi dancers) was intended to concentrate on retaining them. The theory is that leaders find it much harder in their first few weeks than followers, so the "Buddies" would concentrate on helping the new men.

I did think that this was an idea which was well worth trying.

I do wonder if combining this new system with a reduction in the number of people doing it meant it wasn't well received by the taxi dancers, and not many people applied. It would also a different set of skills to taxiing (especially for male buddies).

Sadly with Ceroc Central being split up and sold off, I'm not sure whether this idea will ever be tried.
    Love dance, will travel

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    Simple solution:

Use the "scatter" method. This means that the size of the gender imbalance is not announced from the stage every thirty seconds, improving the morale of female dancers.

On average, male dancers care more about dance classes and learning to dance better than female dancers. The reasons don't matter. Evidence: gender-balanced weekenders are male-heavy in classes and female-heavy in freestyles. Everyone's there for the same number of hours, and men and women tend to spend those hours differently.

Scatter method, this of course works if no one joins or leaves the class and all women space themselves out evenly and follow the one off instruction from the stage

Only ever been to one class (where gender balance takes place) and there were more men, a up close and personal type one.

At Camber there seem to be a lot more women for a number of hrs on friday and saturday night (about 1 deep), i wonder if ceroc would tell us what the final ratio was, ill go away and ask

I whinge and moan and don't go to that venue again. That should help improve the gender balance for other ladies the following week.

I also check the Radio Times for Man U matches. In my experience, it's not worth going out dancing round here if Man U are playing at home or on the telly.

Daisy

(A Stroppy Little Flower)

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Chain View Post
    I whinge and moan and don't go to that venue again. That should help improve the gender balance for other ladies the following week.

I also check the Radio Times for Man U matches. In my experience, it's not worth going out dancing round here if Man U are playing at home or on the telly.

Daisy

(A Stroppy Little Flower)
    Ive never know ANY jive/ceroc class suffer ever from any football match on, in fact usually the opposite (13yrs +)

Unless is the world cup and that would effect both genders

I stand to be corrected

Quote Originally Posted by Raul View Post
    Until a dance form is invented where the woman dance around a man while he is holding a pint of beer watching football, there will be an imbalance.
    Mmm, there are dances that are designed to be done whilst holding a drink. Maybe someone needs to popularise them in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Chain View Post
    What if the men are put off by the moaning?

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Ive never know ANY jive/ceroc class suffer ever from any football match on, in fact usually the opposite (13yrs +)
    Maybe it's different dahn sarf. You dance around Hemel Hempstead? Probably not as many Man U fans round there. It's practically compulsory up here!

Daisy

(A Non-Supporting Little Flower)

At Camber there seem to be a lot more women for a number of hrs on friday and saturday night (about 1 deep), i wonder if ceroc would tell us what the final ratio was, ill go away and ask
    Well true to my word I went and ask ceroc HQ and got this

--------------------------------------
    There is no science to this, we try and achieve at least 48% females, which we have done to date on every Escape event.

We had over 300 ladies on a waiting list for Bliss.
    -------------------------------------------------

Respect to ceroc

Perhaps my comments on the gender inbalance and not being a major problem needs to be review, god ive admitted it I was wrong

Turn away 300 paying punters has got to be hard for any business model

Commercial Operator

--------------------------------------
    There is no science to this, we try and achieve at least 48% females, which we have done to date on every Escape event.

We had over 300 ladies on a waiting list for Bliss.
    -------------------------------------------------
    This can't be right: 48% female means 8.33% more men than women

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    Your right this makes no sense whats so ever

48% with 300 women over ??

Ill go back to my source

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If there's 48% women, that means there's 52% men.. surely that's 4% more men or am I being thick?
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    If there's 48% women, that means there's 52% men.. surely that's 4% more men or am I being thick?
    Not really, but percentage difference in ticket sales is different from the the percentage difference in numbers. I haven't really thought about this before but I can see that -

If there are 100 people at a dance and 48 are women and 52 are men...

From the pov of the 52 women there are 8.33% less men than women (52/48). Because 52 is 8.33% bigger than 48.

From the pov of the 48 men there are 9.33% more women than men (48/52)

The thing I understand most clearly is - why I'm NOT a maths teacher !

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra Woman View Post
    Crazy maths stuff...

The thing I understand most clearly is - why I'm NOT a maths teacher !
    EER
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Now I've had my rant I'd like to point out that it's not all women who complain. Some of them are very kind and patient about this issue. Some of them do bring new men - some of them can even do without us altogether as they learn to lead

Its goes around have seen a number of events recently with more men

My point has always been choice

Of course it would be nice if events were even and women stayed up after 3am but thats not likely (re weekenders)

So you have choice, id hate to see that choice taken away
    On rare occasions at a venue I attend it has been the men that have moved round in intermediate class... ....

shame cos i right fancied leading that routine too

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles View Post
    I guess another thing that could be done is to encourage women to learn to lead? It might not be an ideal situation, but I know that if there are lots of women over (or even if there aren't ) I like to dance with my female friends, and it means that more women are dancing and fewer are sitting around acutely feeling the lack of men. It might not be everyone's cup of tea but it might help.
    Similarly, maybe organising some double trouble workshops/classes might ease the burden.
    Or employ Fletch to teach a bop-on-your-own workshop .
    Completely agree with all of this.. C'mon Fletch.. when is the workshop

Quote Originally Posted by Itsybitsy View Post
    Getting back to the original theme of this thread . . . . and some of the posts added to it, I would just like to add my "bit"

As a female well past my first flush of youth (cough cough) and even in that first flush was nearer the back than the front in the looks department. . . . I quickly worked out that if I was going to actually do any dancing in freestyle at all I would have to learn to lead, so I did . . . I realise there are some ladies out there who don't want to dance with another female - fair enough, I don't ask them. In class - tough. But now several months on . . . I get asked by ladies, I can swop and change and actually enjoy leading, I also have great fun when some men ask me to lead them. . . If I have to dance as a follow (2 weeks ago we had sexy moves - not appropriate) the men ask me where they are going wrong. . . If I go to a freestyle and start dancing lead, I quickly get men asking me to dance as they see me as "good" Other threads have indicated that a female dancing as lead tends to back lead, but I find that I see first hand the errors that follows make and have hopefully learnt from that.

ps One of the best things about learning to lead is that I can now dance with the good follows, and from that I have learnt at close hand lots about style, timing and grace, hopefully when I get to follow I can put some of it into practice.
    I always enjoy my dances with you ItsyBitsy - I still remember meeting you that first night and you were thinking of learning to lead

Go girl!

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    I love dancing with ladies. Not sure if they like dancing with me so much. I find it fun, esp in the blues room when i can just do some whatever i like moves, close up and personal and the gals who i really know, give me some real deep meaningful close ups which all add to the fun and excitment of the dancing. Ones esp good at this is Sara White, Twirly Bird, Alex - all temptresses of the dance floor regardless of ya sex.

Gender balancing, who needs it. pah

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    Many people on this thread have talked about recruiting new men.

The proposed Ceroc Central Buddy system (which was going to replace taxi dancers) was intended to concentrate on retaining them. The theory is that leaders find it much harder in their first few weeks than followers, so the "Buddies" would concentrate on helping the new men.

I did think that this was an idea which was well worth trying.
    I taxi for Ceroc UK and as a taxi I am encouraged to dance with the men there rather than the ladies in freestyle - in order to try to retain the men.. I do dance with ladies as well because, as discussed above, there is usually more ladies than men but I do find if you dance with the men and focus your attention on helping them with their dancing - as to most new men - dancing is an alien context! - then they do come back for more

Stop saying it is the responsibility of the women to bring in more men!
    Faulty logic alert!
    The men who come along to Ceroc because they are lured there by feminine wiles, or who like the ratio of women to men, don’t stay. They are simply “on the pull.” Learning to dance is too much like hard work if it is merely the means to an end. Ceroc venues are not a cattle market. Those guys head back to bars and clubs (and may I add: !) The women who have introduced men to Ceroc, for the most part, have dragged their partners along, and with a little luck, the partners got hooked. Or couples have dragged along friends, who soon did not need dragging. Women also may bring along female friends, because it isn’t a cattle market.
    IMHO what you need to do is convince men to bring along their friends and workmates. And work to retain them. ( some suggestions above, also, how about "absolute beginners' workshops," with fewer moves, leaders only, taxis provided, for the 1-to 4-weekers?)

As several people have pointed out, we still bring up our kids to think dancing is O.K. for women, but un-cool for men. (Get modern jive into the schools! – not sure how, though )

Guys, if you want to “pick up” someone, go to the clubs and bars. But if you want to have fun, get fit, make friends, and perhaps begin to understand women, come dancing!

(dons helmet and flak jacket, and retires)

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by JCB View Post
    Guys, if you want to ~snip~ perhaps begin to understand women, come dancing!
    I've been dancing for quite a few years and so far I've not seen any sign of that happening.
    Love dance, will travel

The men who come along to Ceroc because they are lured there by feminine wiles [...] don’t stay.
    I did.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    I did.
    So it was a female friend, not a girlfriend, who introduced you to Ceroc?
    I stand corrected! (which is awkward, and a little dangerous, on this swivel chair in front of my computer)
    Any more out there?

So it was a female friend, not a girlfriend, who introduced you to Ceroc?
    I stand corrected! (which is awkward, and a little dangerous, on this swivel chair in front of my computer)
    Any more out there?
    It was a female friend who I fancied. Went along to impress her, had a great time and kept going back.

(Now please sit down before you hurt yourself!)
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

<sulkily> Well, even if I'm wrong, I think it is only fair that Andy nags the men to bring along their share of potential leaders!

(I'm working on improving my balance up here!)

Thread Information