Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Gender Balancing Rant!!!

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Gender Balancing Rant!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    No! You stopped short of mentioning that they needed to be suntanned
    ZW, clearly letting her standards slip...

We want men with perfect teeth and twinkly eyes, oh yes and don't forget...we want them to have hips that move too!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra Woman View Post
    Sorry was I politically incorrect just then?
    Not at all, thats realism that is

Better places to busk would be; cinemas , especially when a big film is on (avoid RomComs ), outside "specific" shops ; virgin/hmv/halfords are better bets (shoe shops are a HUGE no-no). As has been said - gyms are fairly equal sex wise and a lot of sporting events can be male biased. Even exhibitions could be good - imagine the Ideal Homes Show with a Ceroc stand - with demos and mini classes through the day .Again though, how many males do you find looking at soft furnishings . Technology/Car/Topless Beach Volleyball exhibitions are much better bets

We've even tried offering free classes - that's a great success at getting skinflints through the door who stop coming as soon as the have to start paying. IMHO if it's worth doing it's worth paying for. Also, you do value something you've paid for more than something you've received for free.
    I'm not sure about free classes for that reason though. I went to a Salsa class that offered the first 4 classes for £10 or something. I guess they hoped people would be hooked and continue to come after the 4 classes (I only went to three though but then I wasn't enjoying it anywhere near as much as MJ). It maybe gives people incentive to push on during the often difficult beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by DundeeDancer View Post
    How about a scheme where the lady would get free entry for the evening for bringing a new male beginner along?

That might work well and be easy to administrate.
    Seems like a good idea to me. You could easily make it into anyone though (no reason guys might not be able to persuade their male friends though I've had more success with couples than just blokes). You could maybe mention it on lots of women over nights so everyone gets why you are trying to promote bringing more men in.

I don't know about the long term effect such a scheme would have but it could have an impact.

Why give an incentive of a free entry? Surley the main incentive is that they are not sitting out as much?

Quote Originally Posted by TA Guy View Post
    As an aside...
    Interesting to note your nights lose men on football nights. Down here, I think the ladies all presume the men will stay in and watch football, so they don't come. Almost without fail, on football nights we are down on the number of ladies. Not kidding!

I also wonder if men who are into dancing are not as likely to be into the traditionally macho beer-and-football culture? And even those who are into football, maybe the dancing is more important?

And maybe some of those women who didn't turn up are actually at home/in the pub watching the football!

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    Why give an incentive of a free entry? Surley the main incentive is that they are not sitting out as much?
    spoken like a sensible businessman The trick is getting them to believe that it is in their best interests

Quote Originally Posted by TA Guy View Post
    As an aside...
    Interesting to note your nights lose men on football nights. Down here, I think the ladies all presume the men will stay in and watch football, so they don't come. Almost without fail, on football nights we are down on the number of ladies. Not kidding!

I think more men come , i dont see numbers down

Lets face it if the Rugby world semis was on at mid night next saturday how many male dancers at Breeze would stay in and watch it ? 10% ?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post

I also wonder if men who are into dancing are not as likely to be into the traditionally macho beer-and-football culture? And even those who are into football, maybe the dancing is more important?

And maybe some of those women who didn't turn up are actually at home/in the pub watching the football!
    In my experience it is only matches of national importance that affect numbers at a dance class. Dancers are not football hooligans, they are patriots who stand to attention when the National Anthem is played - but only because it's so slow you couldn't even do WCS to it

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

In my experience it is only matches of national importance that affect numbers at a dance class. Dancers are not football hooligans, they are patriots who stand to attention when the National Anthem is played - but only because it's so slow you couldn't even do WCS to it
    watched the Rugby last night and "Flower of Scotland" was played so slowly before the match it was like a dirge....no wonder we got beat

Yet more evidence that established tempo should never be changed in public

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    ZW, clearly letting her standards slip...

We want men with perfect teeth and twinkly eyes, oh yes and don't forget...we want them to have hips that move too!
    And when you find such a guy, responsive to your wishes, naturally the first thing you are going to do is bring him along to a dance night so all of the other ladies ...

Yeah.... but a good DJ would tweak it a little

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    And when you find such a guy, responsive to your wishes, naturally the first thing you are going to do is bring him along to a dance night so all of the other ladies ...
    Lory likes to share her pleasures. My sole evidence was her response to my offer to dance with her all night ...

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by killingtime View Post
    Instead they get to wait around a door. Doesn't seem the most welcoming atmosphere.
    :shrug: It's a similar sort of situation to the one that men have to put up with a nightclubs, you don't hear much whingeing about that.

Blog Entries

Another counter-intuitive argument I heard (read?) somewhere was: charge women less, and men more. The idea is that you get charged for "quality" - and female aulity experience is reduced, so they shouldn't pay so much.

Another, more sophisticated, option, is to split the revenue you want from an evening into 50-50 male-female cost. So if you want (say) £300 from a night, you charge the women £150 and the men £150, to be split evenly between them. If 30 women turn up, they pay £5 each, if 20 men turn up, they pay £7.50 each.

Of course, these are unrealistic models, it's more a thought experiment than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Another counter-intuitive argument I heard (read?) somewhere was: charge women less, and men more. The idea is that you get charged for "quality" - and female aulity experience is reduced, so they shouldn't pay so much.
    why not

A few women forumites have turned me down for a dance on a irregular basis

Its I guess about quality rather then just numbers

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Of course, these are unrealistic models, it's more a thought experiment than anything else.
    Look, Ive told you before - leave the "thought experiments" for the monkeys in your basement and the poor people you harass on the tube.

Another thought experiment: instead of charging men £7 if the come to the lesson and £5 for the freestyle, turn it around and charge them £5 if they're in time for the lesson and £7 for freestyle.

Experienced dancers (both leads and follows) don't really get much out of the intermediate class, but they can be a big help to the less experienced. I think there are many who wouldn't really mind helping out, but they do mind paying extra for the privilege. It's the principle of the thing as much as anything else; the actual money may well not be important.

[Details: the actual figures are open to discussion. You'd might have to give leads a discount rather than men to look less discriminatory, and you probably want to limit it to experienced leads].

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    Experienced dancers (both leads and follows) don't really get much out of the intermediate class, but they can be a big help to the less experienced.
    I help the less experienced 'ladies' even more .. I simply don't do the MJ classes anymore!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

[Weird scenarios}...

Have you been taking a leaf out of TheTruth's scientific notebook?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Feelingpink View Post
    Have you been taking a leaf out of TheTruth's scientific notebook?
    Well, someone's got to take up the "talk nonsense" baton

I think DavidF's notion re: discounts for attending classes is good - combining informal taxi dancers with loyalty bonus schemes. I used to get in free to most salsa classes in my local area on that basis, back when I was dancing salsa regularly - basically, it's the "guest list" concept.

The only problem I could see is that you'd be selecting an "elite" group, which might cause some resentment amongst the plebs.

Thread Information