Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JiveTime & Camber

JiveTime & Camber

Hot off the press :-

Quote Originally Posted by Franco
    Camber Sands, 09 - 12 November 2007. I am aware of the current speculations in respect of this being our LAST jive weekend at Camber. I wish to apologise to all, as I have been unable so far to clarify the situation. Even now I am only able to provide some answers, but not all. Negotiations have taken place from quite some time with third parties with the view of producing joint events from 2008 to include Camber and Bognor. As these negotiations are still in progress, I am not currently in the position to disclose the names of the third parties. In view of this, unless there is a last minute change of plan due to any major reason, it is likely that the forthcoming jive weekend at Camber Sands on the 9th of November will be our last solo produced jive weekend. Unfortunately, this is all that I can say for now. I do hope to be soon in a position of publishing a full and unequivocal statement in respect of the above and the 2008 events at Bognor and Camber.

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: JiveTime & Camber

Blimey, Franco should go into politics if he stops running Jive events.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The last Camber, run by Jivetime that I went to, the gender balance was SO BAD, (at times it felt as though it was 5 women to every man, in the blues room. ) I swore i'd never attend another, until unequivocal assurances were made, that drastic measures would be taken the address the situation.

Franco decided to put it to the vote and ask his punters to choose, 'for or against gender balancing' (which was a brave thing to do) and in the end 'against' won, by apparently, a very small majority.

Also, Franco said he'd been advised by some legal experts, that gender balancing was illegal and he was afraid of being taken to court.

So, in the end, he devised a system (which I never fully understood) where he would sell, 'lead' and 'follow' tickets and then females who wanted to get in when all the ladies ticket had been sold, could get in by saying they would lead.

This happened around the same time as Ceroc started their weekenders (which are strictly gender balanced) started up, and Southport was already up and running a gender balancing system.

so, that was it for me, i'm afraid

Now, I wonder if this new joint venture will be 'Gender balanced'?

I shall watch this space with interest!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    The last Camber, run by Jivetime that I went to, the gender balance was SO BAD, (at times it felt as though it was 5 women to every man, in the blues room. ) I swore i'd never attend another, until unequivocal assurances were made, that drastic measures would be taken the address the situation.

Franco decided to put it to the vote and ask his punters to choose, 'for or against gender balancing' (which was a brave thing to do) and in the end 'against' won, by apparently, a very small majority.

Also, Franco said he'd been advised by some legal experts, that gender balancing was illegal and he was afraid of being taken to court.

So, in the end, he devised a system (which I never fully understood) where he would sell, 'lead' and 'follow' tickets and then females who wanted to get in when all the ladies ticket had been sold, could get in by saying they would lead.

This happened around the same time as Ceroc started their weekenders (which are strictly gender balanced) started up, and Southport was already up and running a gender balancing system.

Hi sad about UNEVEN gender balances but he STILL achieved 1500/1600 people going, who 95% HAD A GREAT TIME

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    Hot off the press :-
    see you there for last one??

..gender balance stuff...
    Exactly the same for me!

I don't think lead/follow vs male/female have much practical significance, in the same way as Jive Addiction's switch to gender based entry tickets.

The biggest difference is that Jive Time has a much bigger band of tolerance which limits maximum imbalance but allows some imbalance.

Jive Addiction and Ceroc must have similar systems though we assume the tolerances to be much narrower.

Unlike Jive Time I haven't seen them published though. I don't know either are truly 'strict' especially where they don't sell out.

In any case aren't there enough narrow tolerance weekenders already ?

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    'Narrow tolerance' is a funny way of putting it.

Or maybe not. I have a narrow tolerance for battling through a row of other women 3 deep at the edge of the dance floor to try to get a dance!

I find i very sad that the origonal camber events are drawing to a close I have attended many and enjoyed them all. however all is flux and if you fail to adapt in business you die lets hope something good rises from the ashes.

It is not the end, it might be the end of solo produced.

All power to Franco, who did the first MJ weekender (as far as I know) ... there was Rock 'n' roll and Lindy weekends before, but he put MJ weekenders - on a large scale, on the map.

If there is an oppertunity to cash up and still provide a weekend of fun, still all good... don't forget folks this is a business, and it happens in business all the time.

I was fortunate enough to teach at his very first weekender and have always supported him every time I am "in the area".

Of course people will see the product and then improve the product, the most shinning example being Southport with Wes and Jon. He he, how lucky am I , I got to teach at the first Southport as well.

Then some will come and Blast or Blitz the oppertunity and try to put on too many too soon... It happens, hopefully it will end up positive...

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    see you there for last one??
    ABSOLUTELY

Even if I wasn't working there - I would still go

I think I have been to nearly all of them - from the very first one at Bognor

I will be at reception sell private lessons with the teachers - please come and say hello AND PLEASE get me for a dance thanks

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Blog Entries

Yeah. The ones with loads of forumites for a start.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Or maybe not. I have a narrow tolerance for battling through a row of other women 3 deep at the edge of the dance floor to try to get a dance!
    And us guys don't like battling our way through 3 rows of women just to get a drink or go to the loo.

When Franco told me that there was a change afoot I guessed that Jive Time would end up being part of another organisation that runs weekenders. My hope is that Jive Time becomes part of Jive Addiction or Rock Bottoms. It would be a shame if he became part of Ceroc as he'd have difficulty having any kind of say in anything - he might as well sell out to Ceroc.

Then again, maybe Franco is buying Ceroc

Hi sad about UNEVEN gender balances but he STILL achieved 1500/1600 people going, who 95% HAD A GREAT TIME
    Yes I wish people stop whinging about the imbalance as it clearly is now a 'Choice'. Go to Camber (women cant book for Southport in Feb already) or don't go to a weekender

Id hate to see that choice restricted for the ladies

ps it was never more then 3/4 deep

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Yes I wish people stop whinging about the imbalance as it clearly is now a 'Choice'. Go to Camber (women cant book for Southport in Feb already) or don't go to a weekender
    We don't all whinge. I was just agreeing with Lory's comments as to why I didn't go to any more Jivetime events.

Of course there are plenty of gender balanced events to go to. I usually make sure I bring a few men along with me too!

Blog Entries

95% HAD A GREAT TIME
    Maybe they did

I'm just saying that 'I' didn't.

In any case aren't there enough narrow tolerance weekenders already?
    Yes, probably and I don't have a problem with
    organisations who choose not to, as we now have alternatives to choose from.

So everyone can be happy
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    All power to Franco, who did the first MJ weekender
    And Camber (Jivetime) was 'my' first weekender too and I had an absolute ball, it still remains one of my fondest memories but times have moved on and other organisations have IMHO improved on the standards Franco set!

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Yes I wish people stop whinging
    I'm not whinging, as I have 'lots' of choice now and no longer have to suffer it
    ps it was never more then 3/4 deep
    for you, maybe not!

Love you really Stew!
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Blog Entries

Maybe they did

I'm just saying that 'I' didn't.
    Well, clearly you're just a miserable weirdo then, determined not to have fun.

Or, possibly, that 95% figure was complete b0ll0x, and lots of others felt the same way as you, but you're one of the few with the guts to openly admit it.

I know where my money is on.

Note to Bluey: "only" 5% complaints does not mean that 95% were ecstatic.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Thats me!

Well the ones who didn't go because of the gender balance issue (and I'm sure Lory and I aren't the only ones) wouldn't be complaining because we weren't there!

Or, possibly, that 95% figure was complete b0ll0x, and lots of others felt the same way as you, but you're one of the few with the guts to openly admit it.

I know where my money is on.

Obviously there will be more men this time then pleaseeeeeeee

Unless you live in a cave or are totally new to Jive/ceroc your going to know the imbalance is likely to be higher at Francos then Southport etc

So why do all these women still go ?? Cant do Southport, cant do Swish hey wait till next June ?

Thread Information