Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Britrock - the aftermath

Re: Britrock - the aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    I thought they were first, but I could be wrong.

Jester and Cathy were 3rd.
    I've forgotten their names - but the winners of the intemediate were both in silver bling outfits (I believe they came 2nd in the Ceroc champs)

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    I've forgotten their names - but the winners of the intemediate were both in silver bling outfits (I believe they came 2nd in the Ceroc champs)
    Sorry Frankie and Danny, my mistake.

I bet Paulette and Roger are over the moon to be first this time.

Congratulations

to
    Trevor and Diane

Well done guys
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by watchout View Post
    Agree wow what a fantastic day !! Not sure about that shared first place in Aerials !!!! what went on there ?
    I know exactly what happened as there was a clerical mistake on the judging forms that I didn't spot

All the judging forms had the competitors in the same order to aid collating them and calculating the positions of the competitors. For the air-steps there were 2 judging forms where the judges had written the competitors numbers in numerical order and there were 3 judging forms where the judges had written the competitors numbers out of order - this out of order placing on the forms was caused by the final being run in two halfs.

When I calculated the positions I took the order of competitors (401, 402, 403 and 404) on the first judging form and applied the same calculation to the other 4 forms. Unfortunately I didn't spot that 3 of the other forms had the competitors in a different order

That meant that the the couple given first place in the prizegiving had actually been placed second by the judges. And the couple who had actually won were not given a place!

As soon as the judges saw the prizegiving they realised that there had been a mistake and we investigated and found the cause. I calculated the positions that people should have been in and came up the real result.

Then there was panic, debate, etc. What do we do? It was decided that we should speak with the people who should have won and ask them what they would like. They were fabulous about it and the final decision was that they would share the first place rather than take it away from the people who had already been given first place at the prizegiving.

Don't worry, this will not happen next year. It was a highly embarassing learning experience and, next year, the adjudicating team will make sure it doesn't happen again.

As far as the day goes, from my point of view it seemed to run very smoothly. The judges obviously had a very difficult time choosing between couples - mostly, there was no clear winner and all but one final seemed to have 2 judges choosing one winner, another 2 judges choosing another winner and the other judges choosing somebody else to win! This was even the case in the teams with the winning team chosen by 3 judges and the other team chosen by 2 judges.

I actually won the sweeping contest - I think it was my final lift that impressed the judges
    Last edited by Andy McGregor; 7th-October-2007 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary View Post
    Steve and Julie came joint first in Aerials with Dave and Anita.
    Hmmm...

Not wanting to open a can of worms (and certainly not making any comment about who should/shouldn't have won, seeing as I wasn't there), how on earth is this possible?

From the rules:

Quote Originally Posted by Britrock site
    4.2 Scoring
    For the finals the Judges will submit raw scores. The Scorer will convert them into ordinals (1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc) for Relative Placement. Duplicate placements are not permitted. If a Judge provides duplicate placements the Scorer will alert the Scrutineer who will request that the Judge in question provide a unique placement for each couple.

4.3 Final Placement
    Couples with the majority of Judges votes will be awarded a final placement. If no couple has a majority of votes the next placement is added to the previous placements. This is the number of judges placing couples 1st, then 1st and 2nd, then 1st, 2nd and 3rd, etc. until a majority is reached.

In the event of a tie a numerical value will be assigned to each place given by each judge. 1st place will receive one point, 2nd place 2 points etc. At the point where the competitors are drawn the scores will be added together. The lowest scoring competitors will be given the higher place.

As a final tie-break, if, two couples are tied in the number of judges placing them in that position and still tied when the scores are added, the couple placed highest by the Chief Judge will receive the higher place.
    Looking at this, I just can't see any mechanism for two couples tied for first place: if everything else is tied, it's the couple placed highest by the Chief Judge who wins. And (4.2) says that each judge must provide a unique placement for each couple, so the Chief Judge can't have two couples tied.

Edit: post crossed with Andy's explanation. That's a bit of an oops, Andy! Though it does show the judges are independent - if they'd been conferring amongst themselves this would probably have been picked up much quicker. As it was they were probably all thinking "Eh? Guess the other judges saw it differently from me".
    Last edited by David Franklin; 7th-October-2007 at 01:48 PM.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    Edit: post crossed with Andy's explanation. That's a bit of an oops, Andy! Though it does show the judges are independent - if they'd been conferring amongst themselves this would probably have been picked up much quicker. As it was they were probably all thinking "Eh? Guess the other judges saw it differently from me".
    Thanks for the edit, David

On the subject of independence I briefed the judges to judge as individuals. I told them that they could discuss how they were going to judge but they were not to discuss competitors performance in a way that might influence the decision of any other judge. I was very particular that two judges should not debate their choices as they'd effectively become one judge with two votes - the variation in the the choices of each judges showed that they'd taken this on board.

On the subject of group discussions about judging decisions, I stand against it and think you might as well ask the strongest personality to tell us who they'd like to win!

Re: Brit rock aerials did S&J REALLY come joint first ?

Quote Originally Posted by watchout View Post
    Had a greta at Brit rock yesterday nice people nice music great dances and great results. Dave and Anita were great so what happened ? Simon and Nicole as ever look so slick, deserved to win
    all explained by Andy in Britrock The Aftermath thread

--ooOoo--

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.

Yeah I really wish i wasent so scared....... Think i need 2 work on confodense big time

Commercial Operator

Re: Brit rock aerials did S&J REALLY come joint first ?

all explained by Andy in Britrock The Aftermath thread

Quote Originally Posted by Vegetable View Post
    Yeah I really wish i wasent so scared....... Think i need 2 work on confodense big time
    Vegetable - you did a marvelous job and I couldn't tell you were so nervous by looking at you - Oh and looked very dapper in your waist coat & hat

Thank you for my lovely dance late in the dance

Thanks for explanation re results of aerials. Yes have to agree everything else about the day was fab, very well organised and always runs so on time.

Agreed, your dance with the broom was fab!

Now we can get practicising and look forward to the competition next year, but of course we will all miss Nicole! She and Simon were fab as usual!! Well done.

I could see your nerves in round 1 - but I thought you were ab fab on round 2 - sorry missed the next round - too busy "running"

Summary ............ fantastic effort especially for someone only dancing for 6 months. with no advance section you were up against dancers who have been on the scene for many many years

Well done !!!!

--ooOoo--

Quote Originally Posted by Yliander View Post
    Vegetable - you did a marvelous job and I couldn't tell you were so nervous by looking at you - Oh and looked very dapper in your waist coat & hat

Thank you for my lovely dance late in the dance

Thanks! Was great 2 meet you and cj!!!, and thanks for the help on friday

I could see your nerves in round 1 - but I thought you were ab fab on round 2 - sorry missed the next round - too busy "running"

Summary ............ fantastic effort especially for someone only dancing for 6 months. with no advance section you were up against dancers who have been on the scene for many many years

Well done !!!!
    Thank you, Im really pleased with how well i did, As i onli wanted to get thro 1 round, And i learnt so much in 1 day it was unreal, but i couldnt have done it with out zara.... And im really lucky 2 have such a great partner and I think its time 2 start working towards the next comp, maybe blackpool?

Thanks! Was great 2 meet you and cj!!!, and thanks for the help on friday
    you're welcome anytime - just sorry I missed you doing the move in your heat.

Thank you, Im really pleased with how well i did, As i onli wanted to get thro 1 round, And i learnt so much in 1 day it was unreal, but i couldnt have done it with out zara.... And im really lucky 2 have such a great partner and I think its time 2 start working towards the next comp, maybe blackpool?
    There is always Midlands in Nov

a packing list for Zara might be helpful next comp

Yes she forgot everything!!! Hahahaha

Yeh Cj said he saw us do the move!!!! We had barley practiced it but after getting thro the 1 round which was what i wnated we decided to jus giv it all we had haha! and it worked lols (so glad i didnt drop her)

LOL! I am usually very organised, I dont know what went wrong this weekend, I forgot my top, straightners, mascara, hairdryer, inhaler...

We wont be doing Midlands, we are going to Camber that weekend instead, shame they clash

So I guess the next ones Blackpool?

You and CJ were great, loved your ariels and your showcase was so original, loved it!

xxx

Quote Originally Posted by Zara View Post

You and CJ were great, loved your ariels and your showcase was so original, loved it!

xxx
    I second This.... I loved it!!!!!!! he musta been so hot in that outfit tho

Wow what a fab day - I loved every minute!!!!!!

Myself and Paul made it as far as the Semi's and i was chuffed to bits! Well done to all who made the finals....it was a pleasure to watch
    Note to self....must put in some more seriously tough practice

The music for all the heats was second to none - DJ Bunny was on top form

As really big congrats to CJ and Yli even tho they werent actually placed their showcase stood out for me....the creativity was amazing!

Managed to grab a dance with Vegetable-it was a pleasure! And Mini Mac - Girly you Rock!!!!

Well done to everyone that took part especially Zara, Lindsay and the crew ( can't wait to see this one !) and last but by no means least to my Sparkly Boy and his lovely partner Paulette, so happy for you both hope you didn't drink all the bubbly. XXX

Congrats to everyone, esp Zara, Roger, Paulette, Jive Addicted and Alex, Trev and Di and everyone else who I have forgotten!

Hope to see some of you next weekend

Thread Information