Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Strictly Come Dancing (SCD) 2007

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Strictly Come Dancing (SCD) 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Feelingpink View Post
    But Sunday night's show is definitely one to watch with one finger on fast forward - it's so dull & padded. Wasn't a real fan of the 'professionals' dancing to the singing act either - didn't look that well rehearsed and the choreography wasn't particularly inspiring either (or is that just me?).
    No, I thought it was a bit boring also - the aerials seemed to last forever (two aerials in a Rumba? )

Hmmm... seeing as it's possible to find out the results on a Saturday night anyway, I'm not sure if I even want to watch the results show - ITT is much funnier and more entertaining...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jive-vee View Post
    Very disapointed why does the sympathy vote always seem to win through - Garraway should have been in the bottom two. Yes, she did well to dance having injured herself but she was therefore of a lower standard than the others. (not that I'm at all biased towards Vincent haha, had Letita gone I still would've thought it unfair on her that she went and Kate stayed but I wouldn't have been as bothered )
    Kate was useless.

How much of that "uselessness" was a genuine lack of talent a la Fiona Philips, abnd how much was because of the lack of training, I don't know. But blimey, if you can look that bad whilst being led in a quickstep - by Anton - you've gotta be pretty hopeless all round.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    I liked the professionals group dance - liked that Vincent and Flavia put a bit of AT in the tango bit!

Oooh yes, that was good. Also liked Erin with a black bob - she looked so much sassier.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    How much of that "uselessness" was a genuine lack of talent a la Fiona Philips, abnd how much was because of the lack of training, I don't know. But blimey, if you can look that bad whilst being led in a quickstep - by Anton - you've gotta be pretty hopeless all round.
    Or maybe the tendinitis was at a level where she literally couldn't put the weight on her feet the way she needed to?

To be honest, that was my take on it, that she was dancing as though every step that was more than basic walking really flipping hurt, and between the times when it hurt too much, her concentration was shot to hell because, well, it hurt.

On the other hand, she couldn't dance last week, she still couldn't really dance this week, and I see no reason to think next week is going to be any better. So saving her might not have been the most merciful option.
    Last edited by David Franklin; 14th-October-2007 at 08:57 PM. Reason: I can't type...

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    On the other hand, she couldn't dance last week, she still couldn't really dance this week, and I see no reason to think next week is going to be any better. So saving her might not have been the most merciful option.
    Yes, on both the fact that they did the worst dance of the evening, and that she will still be in pain as she tries to practice for next week, it would have been better for them to go this week.

I presume that was what Arlene was referring to when she commented on the judges choice supposed to be so that they could weed out the ones who shouldn't be there and she didn't think it was either of the bottom two.

Blog Entries

Or maybe the tendinitis was at a level where she literally couldn't put the weight on her feet the way she needed to?
    Quite possibly.

But TBH if it's that bad, she shouldn't dance at all - Tarbuck quite last year for health reasons, there's no shame in it.

No, and if she keeps getting enough sympathy vote to keep out of the bottom 2, there's nothing to be done about it, for a few weeks at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Yes, on both the fact that they did the worst dance of the evening, and that she will still be in pain as she tries to practice for next week, it would have been better for them to go this week.
    Speaking as somebody who has had tendonitis, albeit in my ankle and not my foot, She will be in pain for weeks to come. I had to have intensive physiotherapy for about 6 weeks before it healed up.

But TBH if it's that bad, she shouldn't dance at all - Tarbuck quite last year for health reasons, there's no shame in it.
    There's quite a difference between tendinitis and sky high blood pressure though. I can understand thinking "with adrenaline to help, I might be able to push through on the night". Problem is, you never really know how that's going to turn out until you do it.

No, and if she keeps getting enough sympathy vote to keep out of the bottom 2, there's nothing to be done about it, for a few weeks at least.
    I'm not sure she'll get a sympathy vote again - I've seen a lot of people saying "I'm happy to give her a chance, but if she's no better next week I'm going to feel really hacked off". I suspect it will depend if the judges really lay into her again (which was stupid of them if they thought she should go).

Blog Entries

I'm not sure she'll get a sympathy vote again - I've seen a lot of people saying "I'm happy to give her a chance, but if she's no better next week I'm going to feel really hacked off". I suspect it will depend if the judges really lay into her again (which was stupid of them if they thought she should go).
    Were they stupid though? Or were they playing to the dynamic of reality TV by picking on one contestant, and generating publicity with their "exasperated" looks?

Looking it up, I don't think this sort of injury is something that can quickly be recovered from - it seems to take a few weeks at least. So I can't see her improving suddenly, and I still think the best thing is for her to quit. But that'd be difficult now, she'd be publicly seen as a "loser" I think.

Were they stupid though? Or were they playing to the dynamic of reality TV by picking on one contestant, and generating publicity with their "exasperated" looks?
    Well, I did qualify it by "if they thought she should go". But in this case I think it's genuine. Because they must know there's a fair chance they'll end up with Kate pulling out, which is going to muck up the show somewhat (as Tarby's departure did last time). So I think they would rather have her be eliminated in standard fashion.

Looking it up, I don't think this sort of injury is something that can quickly be recovered from - it seems to take a few weeks at least.
    What I'm not clear about is how possible and/or sensible it is to 'work through the pain'. The wiki entry certainly makes that sound like a very bad idea, but a lot of other sources seem less pessimistic. It's hard to know what the real situation with Kate is - they've said very little about treatment. I would expect her to be getting through huge quantities of ice, for example, but we've not seen any of that.

So I can't see her improving suddenly, and I still think the best thing is for her to quit. But that'd be difficult now, she'd be publicly seen as a "loser" I think.
    If she wants to pull out, she just needs to get a doctor to say she's risking her health. Shouldn't be hard if needed.

Blog Entries

Lovely "announcement" :

Last Updated: Monday, 15 October 2007, 8:07 GMT 9:07 UK

E-mail this to a friend Printable version

Changes Announced to BBC's Georgia v Scotland Coverage

The BBC tonight announced that their coverage of the Geogia v Scotland match on Wednesday night will feature an exciting new format. The first half will be shown live on Wednesday, with a new results programme to follow on the Thursday.

BBC Director of Sport, Roger Mosey explained that the changes are as a result of a viewer demand for more sport led entertainment on Thursday nights.

"Football is a family sport, and many people go out for a cup of tea during the half time interval.", explained Mosey. "Market research suggests that sometimes another family member changes the channel whilst their backs are turned, so we decided to give people this opportunity to enjoy the football on two separate evenings".

Criticism
    The move has received some criticism from internet based football forums. "We'll find out the result", said one fan on the footballforever.com forum, "there's going to be 100,000 people in stadium, at least one is bound to text us the winner's name".

Other fans were confused about whether the second half will be live or recorded. "I find it hard to believe the BBC will go to the expense of reopening the Georgia stadium up and getting the crowd back in", said one bemused Georgia supporter.

Camp Dancers
    Mosey is quick to answer the viewer's concerns: "Obviously, we recognise that a small fraction of our viewers will be upset with the changes, but let me assure them that we'll heavily imply that the recorded coverage on Thursday will, in fact, be live. People are generally stupid - if that camp lot what like the dancing are dense, don't get me started on soccer fans".

Results
    The BBC are understood to be considering a change to the results structure, where Alan Hansen and Gary Lineker will decide which team progresses to the next round.

An Eclectic Toaster

Lovely "announcement" :
    Well, for the BBC to actually be showing a Scotland game live, there would have to be some sort of catch...

Can anyone provide any wild and unsubstantiated reason why Rod Stewart (Ste's Friend) had a black eye on the Sunday show?

Ste - were you anywhere near BBC centre on Saturday?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    Can anyone provide any wild and unsubstantiated reason why Rod Stewart (Ste's Friend) had a black eye on the Sunday show?
    Nothing that doesn't run the risk of this thread being taken outside....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    Nothing that doesn't run the risk of this thread being taken outside....
    Yes, it was a bit weird wasn't it? I was wondering why he was wearing sunglasses, I assumed it was just the normal celeb luvviness or something.

Some more information here:
    Rod Stewart Shows Off Shiner As He Cheers Penny - Entertainment News - Entertainment - The Daily Record

(well, more speculation really)

Blog Entries

From here, the full list of competitive dances:
    • Argentine Tango
    • Ballroom Tango
    • Cha Cha Cha
    • Cuban Salsa
    • Foxtrot
    • Jitterbug
    • Jive
    • Mambo
    • Paso Doble
    • Quickstep
    • Rumba
    • Samba
    • Waltz

So there's no Viennese Waltz and no American Swing this time, but Jitterbug's been added. Errrm... so that means there's 1 less than last year? Only 13 dances? I thought there should be 14?

From here, the full list of competitive dances:
    • Argentine Tango
    • Ballroom Tango
    • Cha Cha Cha
    • Cuban Salsa
    • Foxtrot
    • Jitterbug
    • Jive
    • Mambo
    • Paso Doble
    • Quickstep
    • Rumba
    • Samba
    • Waltz

So there's no Viennese Waltz and no American Swing this time, but Jitterbug's been added. Errrm... so that means there's 1 less than last year? Only 13 dances? I thought there should be 14?

That's a real shame, the American Smooth is always an entertaining dance and gave a lot of scope for creative choreography.

Commercial Operator

I just watched it again on BBC strictly website, the professionals dance from Sunday night, you can too
    BBC - Strictly Come Dancing - Video

just watch James throw Flavia at end.

Vincent & Flavia's Samba was brilliant!!

Ps watch the lack of eye contact between Brendan & Karen when they dance together, they had a huge row in March and DONT speak, my professional friend (in SCD) tells me. Very noticable in the above dance last Sunday

Last night at Dorking Halls, Nigel Anderson taught with Debbie and they produced a fantastic LeRoc version on American Smooth, it was 1st class!!

Lovely "announcement" :

Yeah, it is a bit like watching a football match which ended in a draw and then having to watch the penalty shoot-out the next day

Registered User Almost an Angel's Avatar
    Heaven of course, currently on secondment to purgatory

Quote Originally Posted by jive-vee View Post
    That's a real shame, the American Smooth is always an entertaining dance and gave a lot of scope for creative choreography.
    Looks like your wish may come true See Here
    Can you guess which are the Smooth and which are the Samba (bit obvious really on a few)
    Angel xx

Thread Information