Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Strictly Come Dancing (SCD) 2007

Re: SCD - Series 5

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Well, I can do if you want - I just thought it might be better to have one general thread and one "weekly" thread.

What do other people want? Merge or separate?...
    Merge.

separate

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Strictly Come Dancing (SCD) 2007

OK, I've merged the threads - I think it's probably best as otherwise it'll get a bit too cumbersome.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    And unless all 3 other judges vote for the same couple, it will end up as Len having the final say as any 2-1 from the other judges will be over-ruled by Len's vote.
    Yes, I'd have thought they'd have been better sticking with another "marks out of 10" round, much less chance of a tie that way - Len could still have the casting vote, but it's less likely to be used.

In summary so far:

1. Bruce's script writer is still as bad as ever (the crude John Barnes....score joke was the pits).

2. The Sunday night show is overkill. I won't be watching it again.

3. The female celebrities are definitely up a notch in the 'got the look and the legs' stakes - must be awful for the 'oldies'....in a couple of years time they will all be SHBs (although that doesn't make them great dancers).

4. Let's swap out a judge or something to change the panel a bit now and again. They are already getting a bit boring.

5. Bruno still marks the same as Len 95% of the time.

6. The scoring mechanism for the judges decision appears open to maximising 'tension' - ie always make it 2-1 and then wait for Len.

7. The pauses before announcing who is In/Out have increased by 2.3 seconds (almost as long as when the DJ at Berko (Ian)* holds the pause on the Romeo and Juliet song).

* A good set tonite and overall very enjoyable evening.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post

I went to one of the shows - and was lucky to get in, but the 30 or so people behind me didn't

As DJ said it really was an 'all day' hassle, lots of people bought chairs or blankets to sit on (long wait) and picnics - although there is a big Tescos nearby. We got there 3 hours early and there was a large queue already.

My son said he saw me - but there again, he doesn't blink much
    ALL CHANGED, NEW SYSTEM IM TOLD, G'TEES YOU GET IN, WISH I HAD A PAIR OF TICKETS THIS YEAR HAVING BEEN TO LAST 2 SERIES!

Blog Entries

Looking at Alesha and Matthew last night on ITT, I'm revising my opinions of their chances - downwards.

Don't get me wrong, she's a great dancer, with a fantastic personality... But I didn't get aany feeling of chemistry from them. I also thought that Matthew would have a very tough time getting her to do anything she didn't want to do - which is bad news considering he's the professional teacher.

So she'll still get a long way, I think, but I dunno if she'll improve a lot, and I can see her having problems towards the later stages, esp. in ballroom.

All that said, I think the women are looking far better (in several ways) than the men this year.

Re: Strictly Come Dancing 2007: Week 1

Possibly at some future point, there'd be enough public interest re-generated in dancing to see the return of Come Dancing. But even then it'd probably be on at 11.30pm or whatever.

On the other hand, I like the fact that a partner dance show is prime-time viewing.
    Hey, Come dancing is OK.

What I hate is the public vote (what the hell do they know?) and the ritual humiliation aspects. I don't think the difference between celebs and non-entities is pertinent.

Blog Entries

Re: Strictly Come Dancing 2007: Week 1

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    Hey, Come dancing is OK.
    It's niche. And it was even 25 years ago, which is why it was on at 11:30pm or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    What I hate is the public vote (what the hell do they know?) and the ritual humiliation aspects. I don't think the difference between celebs and non-entities is pertinent.
    The public vote is what makes it popular - that's the way TV works at the moment for a lot of entertainment.

The "humiliation" is much-less so than other shows - and hell, in any competition you have many losers and 1 winner, that's why it's called a competition.

Anyone else get tickets for SCD on Tour show in Glasgow? I got seats in 2nd row beside dance floor on the 19th. Anyone else going???

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    Anyone else get tickets for SCD on Tour show in Glasgow? I got seats in 2nd row beside dance floor on the 19th. Anyone else going???
    I got 2nd row beside dance floor Wembley!

Bruce F was wincing himself when he spoke about John Barnes scoring.

The format of the show is the way everything is going these days in the wake of the - ahem - reality TV revolution...

Have managed to avoid watching all the other series and that was the first time I'd seen it. Won't bust a gut to watch it again but hey at least it gets dancing a bit of the general coverage it probably should have....

Was it just me or did anyone else detect a frosty air from the judges towards Gabby Logan? Wonder what she has done or whether they are not too fond of the eejit she is dancing with!

Blog Entries

My observations from last night's viewing:
    - The guys are useless compared to the women - I'd be amazed on current form if there were any men in the final. And that "all boys together" rubbish group dance was... well, blimey, I've seen better amateur group cabarets at a weekender, and that's saying something.
    - Poor Anton, he seems to be always stuck with the donkeys.
    - Having said that, I strongly suspect Kate and Anton will be this year's sympathy votes

Also, I reckon someone at the Beeb is trying to be clever with John "Weightwatcher" Barnes - apparently he only got given his abysmally-unflattering costume last night, I'd bet that he was shown deliberately in a bad light, to provide a contrast with coming weeks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by eeyorephilosophy View Post
    Was it just me or did anyone else detect a frosty air from the judges towards Gabby Logan? Wonder what she has done or whether they are not too fond of the eejit she is dancing with!
    I thought Gabby did OK, actually - she certainly got good marks...

I thought Gabby did OK, actually - she certainly got good marks...
    You wouldn't have thought it from the look on her face. She was clearly annoyed with her marks. Either she was just upset that they didn't do as well as they could (James did say they did it better in rehearsal) or else she really thought she was going to be one the best, if not the best, of the women celebs and was a bit miffed when that wasn't the case. We expect some of the professionals to be a bit arrogant with the judges over scores, but we don't expect that from the celebs.

I'm not saying that was the case here, but it was one interpretation of her reaction. The sporty people who suceed on SCD are the ones who are competitive, but don't let it come across too much in the live shows. Quietly competitive, driven to practice and work till you get it right works well - overtly competitive doesn't get viewer votes.
    Last edited by Lynn; 14th-October-2007 at 05:45 PM.

Think they made the right choice this week. Letitia really did put a lot more effort in the dance off. And Stephanie seemed positively pleased to be going!

Though it does show that 'improvement between first dance and dance off' seems to count for a lot, rather than just comparing the two.

Very disapointed why does the sympathy vote always seem to win through - Garraway should have been in the bottom two. Yes, she did well to dance having injured herself but she was therefore of a lower standard than the others. (not that I'm at all biased towards Vincent haha, had Letita gone I still would've thought it unfair on her that she went and Kate stayed but I wouldn't have been as bothered )

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Think they made the right choice this week. Letitia really did put a lot more effort in the dance off. And Stephanie seemed positively pleased to be going!

Though it does show that 'improvement between first dance and dance off' seems to count for a lot, rather than just comparing the two.
    I was a bit surprised that Letitia Dean was in the bottom two at all, given her former EastEnders profile; could it be that the fan bases are becoming less important than who can dance (errr, not counting Kate & Anton .... )?

But Sunday night's show is definitely one to watch with one finger on fast forward - it's so dull & padded. Wasn't a real fan of the 'professionals' dancing to the singing act either - didn't look that well rehearsed and the choreography wasn't particularly inspiring either (or is that just me?).

I liked the professionals group dance - liked that Vincent and Flavia put a bit of AT in the tango bit!

Quote Originally Posted by Feelingpink View Post
    Wasn't a real fan of the 'professionals' dancing to the singing act either - didn't look that well rehearsed and the choreography wasn't particularly inspiring either (or is that just me?).
    I wasn't impressed either - I didn't think they looked very connected, the feeling seemed to be missing which was strange, given that they are married. Then again, maybe not so strange!

Thread Information