Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Strictly Come Dancing (SCD) 2007

Re: SCD - Series 5

So did anybody get tickets for the live shows? I didn't, for the second year in succession (but then again I suppose I did very well for the first series and SCD).

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Strictly Come Dancing 2007: Week 1

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Hey its week one. Maybe I've become too 'Cerocified' but at this stage I was looking for people having fun as much as being too precise. Therefore I liked Dom & Lilia as he was really giving it a go and having fun.
    Yeah, but personality will only get you so far - and only in the Latin ones at that. He'll be dead in the water the first time he tries to do ballroom, for example.

And I'm not convinced that Lilia was totally keen on all that kissing, either, she looked like she was putting up with it more than anything else.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Feelingpink View Post
    I liked Craig's comments that it was "more camp than this show".
    Heh, yes that was good. And his "Char char char" line also

Yes - pink nursery pudding on legs springs to mind.
    Reminded me of the poison-dwarf "no-neck" girl in Dallas...

I also liked Stephanie B's motherly 'advice' to Kelly about 'flashing'.
    Kelly looked OK, actually, in the 10 seconds we saw of her. Stephanie and Letitia were definitely the worst - and the problem is they're also the least eye-catching, so they'll have real problems next week...

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    { snip whinge }
    Ahhh, go away and create some obscurely-titled anti-religious thread somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Rhythm King View Post
    So did anybody get tickets for the live shows? I didn't, for the second year in succession (but then again I suppose I did very well for the first series and SCD).
    Presume Lou did, or knew someone who did and was there last night.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Yeah, but personality will only get you so far - and only in the Latin ones at that. He'll be dead in the water the first time he tries to do ballroom, for example.
    Agree, but 'being cute' (Christopher Parker) and personality (Julian Clary) can carry people to the final weeks. Though I don't know that it will in this case. But Dom is on BBC1 every teatime and definitely has the 'cheeky chappie' thing going on.

Stephanie and Letitia were definitely the worst - and the problem is they're also the least eye-catching, so they'll have real problems next week...
    Agree. I didn't have much hope of Stephanie, but thought Letitia would do better than that.

Ahhh, go away and create some obscurely-titled anti-religious thread somewhere
    I think Barry seems only to be happy when he is whinging about something that other people enjoy. So we'd best let him get on with it. I don't think anyone will pay any attention and presumably he's only posting to annoy us (I can't think of any other reason.)

Oh and did I miss it or was there no mention of any ITT this year?

And does anyone else find it strange to see Bruce and co talking about 'last night' and 'tonight' when its clearly last night. I mean we all know this happens in TV, its just that we are able to be comfortable deluded that its not the case and we will be seeing last nights dance off etc but presented as 'tonight' and there is no illusion that it is actually tonight. Or maybe its just me!

... And does anyone else find it strange to see Bruce and co talking about 'last night' and 'tonight' when its clearly last night. I mean we all know this happens in TV, its just that we are able to be comfortable deluded that its not the case and we will be seeing last nights dance off etc but presented as 'tonight' and there is no illusion that it is actually tonight. Or maybe its just me!
    With the current debate about standards in the BBC I don't like hearing "live" during recorded shows. I was watching a "hologram" (his words) of Lee 'Memphis King" on stage in Bedford whilst he was allegedly appearing live in the Elvis show.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    Personally, I await the day when interest in these so called reality shows dwindles so that it's no longer something the TV companies want to broadcast.

It's not impossible that they may be replaced by something not unadjacent to entertainment! Wouldn't that be great!
    Barry, I'm afraid that, this time, you're completely wrong. This is a competition to find a celebrity who can become a ballroom and latin dancer.

There are many reality shows that I agree are a complete waste of time because they are a pointless popularity contest where you compete at nothing - Big Brother is the worst of these and is IMHO completely pointless.

However, competitions where you acutally compete at something are a different thing altogether. Next thing we'll have Barry complaining that the FA Cup is a reality show where boys from poor families are trained to play football to win the ultimate prize of financial freedom ...

.. not that I watch football, but you know what I mean.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    However, competitions where you acutally compete at something are a different thing altogether.
    The other point is that the vote is "positive" - you vote for people you love, not against people you hate. It's a fairly crucial distinction, in that it promotes enthusiasm rather than hatred, which seems to me to be a better thing.

Commercial Operator

The other point is that the vote is "positive" - you vote for people you love, not against people you hate. It's a fairly crucial distinction, in that it promotes enthusiasm rather than hatred, which seems to me to be a better thing.
    As far as the competition goes I think the public vote is completely wrong. People vote for many reasons other than the quality of the dance. Of course you need the public vote to generate the involvement of the viewer and a considerable amount of cash.

Blog Entries

Presume Lou did, or knew someone who did and was there last night.
    I didn't, but I heard from someone who was there.

I really do not like the judges being able to have the last say - or having to wait a day to watch the results show.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    I didn't, but I heard from someone who was there.

I really do not like the judges being able to have the last say - or having to wait a day to watch the results show.
    And unless all 3 other judges vote for the same couple, it will end up as Len having the final say as any 2-1 from the other judges will be over-ruled by Len's vote.

I know the results show on the Sunday is something they got from the US show - anyone know is the new judging system from that or from Dancing on Ice (who used the phone vote to bottom two, judges select who stays/goes)?

Blog Entries

And unless all 3 other judges vote for the same couple, it will end up as Len having the final say as any 2-1 from the other judges will be over-ruled by Len's vote.
    Yup. It doesn't seem so fair. And didn't Karen look gutted?

Yup. It doesn't seem so fair. And didn't Karen look gutted?
    After winning last time, it must be hard to go out in the first week. And I do think she takes it all to heart, she might feel she could have tried harder and done better. I guess they would all feel that but some more than others. I'd have preferred them to stay in, but then I just don't seem to be able to warm to Ola, so celebs aside, I'd rather have had Karen stay.

(Bet DJ gets grumpy 'cos we're discussing week one results in the wrong thread...)
    Last edited by Lynn; 7th-October-2007 at 08:17 PM.

Wouldn't it be great if we could vote for and against people - kind of like positive or negative rep!

Did anyone else get bored during the results show, with all the recaps (fast forward was used A LOT)?

Blog Entries

(Bet DJ gets grumpy 'cos we're discussing week one results in the wrong thread...)
    So is this meant to be the generic thread - and we'll have different ones per week? What happens to general questions, or discussions about old shows? Or comments about Bruce? Or do you remember whens...? Or It Takes Two? Or are the judges biased towards certain contestants threads?

I disagree with David's idea about separate threads. Yes, in theory it'd keep things "tidy" but in practice it won't work, and it'll get confusing trying to work out where you saw that particular post (e.g. was it week 2 or 3) .

Please merge 'em, Mr Jim!

And what's with pretending that the Sunday show is live? Isn't that as bad as "Cookiegate"?

I disagree with David's idea about separate threads. Yes, in theory it'd keep things "tidy" but in practice it won't work, and it'll get confusing trying to work out where you saw that particular post (e.g. was it week 2 or 3) .

I will watch ITT and might want to comment - in different threads if it is about something the week before, or something the forthcoming week...

I think he's pinched the idea from elsewhere for seperate weeks.

Nothing wrong with one big thread for this series is there?

And what's with pretending that the Sunday show is live?
    I noticed they had even changed outfits to make it look like it was the next day.

OK - split it over two days if they must, but don't pretend 'its now Sunday night' when it clearly isn't!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    As far as the competition goes I think the public vote is completely wrong. People vote for many reasons other than the quality of the dance. Of course you need the public vote to generate the involvement of the viewer and a considerable amount of cash.
    Possibly at some future point, there'd be enough public interest re-generated in dancing to see the return of Come Dancing. But even then it'd probably be on at 11.30pm or whatever.

On the other hand, I like the fact that a partner dance show is prime-time viewing.

Blog Entries

So is this meant to be the generic thread - and we'll have different ones per week? What happens to general questions, or discussions about old shows? Or comments about Bruce? Or do you remember whens...? Or It Takes Two? Or are the judges biased towards certain contestants threads?

Well, I can do if you want - I just thought it might be better to have one general thread and one "weekly" thread.

What do other people want? Merge or separate?

And what's with pretending that the Sunday show is live? Isn't that as bad as "Cookiegate"?
    Yeah, it's not particularly clever - OTOH I'm not sure what else they could do... OTOH the results will always leak out beforehand...

Oops - hell, I'm late for salsa, gotta go.

Blog Entries

Results show: I'm gutted that Karen's out

It's a real shame Karen's gone - her creativity with music and choreography was amazing.

A lot of the show was basically fluff - padding, it seemed. I don't see why we needed another couple of group dances, it didn't do much for me. And I'm very very bored of Mark and Karen's salsa routine now.
    Last edited by David Bailey; 7th-October-2007 at 11:33 PM.

Thread Information