• My Mum danced as a child...

16 33.33%
  • ... and as an adult.

19 39.58%
  • My Dad danced as a child...

4 8.33%
  • ... and as an adult.

15 31.25%
  • I was taken to dance classes as a child and loved it.

12 25.00%
  • I was taken to dance classes as a child and hated it.

2 4.17%
  • I kept going as a teenager.

8 16.67%
  • Other relatives are dancers.

13 27.08%
  • I have no history of dancing in my family.

15 31.25%
  • Some other bizarre option I've missed.

6 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do Mum and Dad dance?

Re: Do Mum and Dad dance?

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    Well mine and DT's parents would only dance at weddings as most parents did.
    Don't forget Uncle Jim. He does Jive, Tango and Ball Room dancing most nights of the week these days. Not bad for an 80 year old.

On the poll options, my cousin and sister (rarely) dances but I'm not really sure they influenced my dancing decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    My youngest however, is a keen dancer and dances when ever he gets the opportunity so as soon as he is old enough, he will be 6 in january, im taking him. I cant wait to get him into it.
    Most dance schools take children from the age of 3 or 4.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Don't forget Uncle Jim.
    You've reminded me...

My Dad's mother and sisters were all very good ballroom dancers and one of my aunts still goes to T dances and she's in her 70's
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

My mum and Dad don't dance but they sing folk songs.

The singing ability has skipped my generation, but I think what I lack in my singing talent I have managed to make up for in my dancing ability

I had an uncle who was a caller in a square dancing band and I did do a little of this with my parents in my youth but I didn't really get the dancing bug. For the next umpteen years I went through life vaguely thinking I ought to take up some form of dancing but did nothing about it until two years ago. I don't think I have any dancing relatives so this may partly explain my lack of natural dancing ability - but that does not stop me from absolutely loving it.

My dad was great at jiving - happy childhood memories of him dancing with my mum and aunt at the same time.....flash g*t!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    Why not put a poll up?

My parents met at ballroom dancing classes (my father was actually the better dancer and a Latin American comp winner at one time), and I was sent to ballet as a child. But no "help" as an adult as such. Just in the genes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Apparently my Mum and Uncle used to be regular winners at local Jive competitions. Her description leads me to think that it was some kind of rock 'n' roll and totally improvised.
    My grandfather was somewhat of a ballroom expert and used to take my Nan and their daughters to tea dances regularly.
    However, I didn't even know any of this until about 6 months ago, so there was no direct influence on me learning to dance at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    My mum and dad met at ballroom dancing, where my dad was apparently a very good dancer.

They did not teach me to dance though, but I guess he passed on some of his dance jeans (ok can;t spell it), my older brother also dances ballroom and Latin and MJ.

These 3 posters, had parents who were active dancers, but didn't benefit from them dancewise.

Rather like the "cobblers children being the worst shod."
    Also they say doctor's children rarely receive medical attention.

So if on the poll you click on yes mother/father dances, it looks as if you have had help, yet these three (and any other's I've misread) have not.

I know there is a catch all on the final option, but it doen't explain the important point which answers the initial question.

Could Ducasi or some kind moderator add these options please?

1. I had no help from my parents.

2. I had no help from my relatives.

Also could we have these options? -

3. My children dance and I help them.

4. My children dance, but I have never helped them.

My dad was a member of competition-winning dance company when he was a boy (in a now long-forgotten USSR) and continued dancing when he was a teenager. Now he's just crested the big 60 hill, and acquired a big belly to go with it, but still dances when he has a chance. Mum only ever danced socially. I had plenty of support and encouragement when I was little (I did folk and modern dances), but I stopped dancing in my late teens and never started again until last year. And loving it!

My parents don't dance and i don't know of anyone in my family to dance!! Its just me who dances out the family But my mates who are twins their mum has been dancing for 4 years and now her daughters do the dancing!!! Its good to watch their family dancing!!

Quote Originally Posted by killingtime View Post
    On the poll options, my cousin and sister (rarely) dances but I'm not really sure they influenced my dancing decisions.
    Can you suggest some concise language for the poll which would exclude relatives who would not be an influence?

Astro, I understand the point you make about the poll, but as we already have a fair number of people who have voted, I am loath to add additional options now.

As for whether forumites' kids dance, I think that's really a question for a different thread and poll.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    Can you suggest some concise language for the poll which would exclude relatives who would not be an influence?

Astro, I understand the point you make about the poll, but as we already have a fair number of people who have voted, I am loath to add additional options now.
    Why I put the word 'options' in I don't know. I was perfectly happy with the options I just thought I'd elaborate on what I'd ticked since I put "Other relatives are dancers." and "I have no history of dancing in my family." which seems a bit of a contradiction.

As for Astro's point surely ticking your parents dancing but not ticking the fact you had lessons as a child should cover it?

I think we need an option for

"My parents danced so badly it negatively affected my dancing"

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    My mum and dad met at ballroom dancing, where my dad was apparently a very good dancer.
    My mum and dad did a lot of ballroom dancing late 50s early 60s

Seem to be more common then ?

They won i think a Pontins/Butlins waltz once , ill have to find out

My mum did ballet when she was young- forget when she stopped but she was on pointe shoes

I did it until I was twelve- loved it but was totally rubbish at it I stopped when I when to boarding school. We also did a kind of country dancing at primary school which I loved (about the only person in the school to like it I think!) But my decision to take up partner dancing has been just me- no help nor any particular encouragement from family.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Itsybitsy View Post
    My mum and dad still dance (old time and modern sequence) my dad is 80 and my mum 79, they go 3 nights a week (having stopped one recently) and then they go swanning off to Cornwall on a regular basis to dance there. Next year they are having their diamond wedding party in Cornwall - dancing of course.
    This is so sweet. This is going to be me and Stokie

in a world of my own... where people are nice and there's lots of honey!

My Mum and Dad both danced socially as kids and as adults.... Mam's family are all better dancers than Dad's though. He was really good. I loved doing quicksteps with him with I was a little girl....

When I was a little girl I went to ballet classes.

All I remember is opening the shoe box with my brand new ballet shoes in and they were black. The teacher made it compulsory that the parents bought the ballet slippers from her and she sent off for them. She was very irritated that I couldn't tie them on. I mean, how would a five or six year old know that?

I was soon nagging Mum to stop taking me.

The teacher had a handful of favourites and ignored the rest of us.

Unlike the piano teacher, who paid close attention and would rap my knuckes with a wooden ruler if I got a note wrong. OUCH.

Commercial Operator

My Nan was a Black Bottom and Charleston champion. My parents never danced, as far as I can make out.

However, my mother in law, Sue's mum, was a professional dancer, ballet trained and danced in shows like Oklahoma with Howard Keel in the West End. Jealous? Moi?

Having just come back from a weekend in Wales, with Trouble i found out my Dad, 75, and my Mam, 70 dance 2 or 3 times a week.

I was amazed to found out they met and fell in love whilst dancing.

God bless the pair of them.

XXX XXX DTS Dave

Thread Information