• My Mum danced as a child...

16 33.33%
  • ... and as an adult.

19 39.58%
  • My Dad danced as a child...

4 8.33%
  • ... and as an adult.

15 31.25%
  • I was taken to dance classes as a child and loved it.

12 25.00%
  • I was taken to dance classes as a child and hated it.

2 4.17%
  • I kept going as a teenager.

8 16.67%
  • Other relatives are dancers.

13 27.08%
  • I have no history of dancing in my family.

15 31.25%
  • Some other bizarre option I've missed.

6 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do Mum and Dad dance?

Do Mum and Dad dance?

Children with dancing parents obviously are at an advantage.

How many of you had help from your parents/relatives?

Re: Do Mum and Dad dance?

Why not put a poll up?

My parents met at ballroom dancing classes (my father was actually the better dancer and a Latin American comp winner at one time), and I was sent to ballet as a child. But no "help" as an adult as such. Just in the genes!

Suggestions for poll options, and whether or not it should be public?
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Alongside the obvious of which parent (or both) danced, I think dance classes as a child should be included in the poll.

And I'd be happy for it to be made public, if no-one else minds. Be interesting as we might get some idea of gender differences - as much as we can tell on here sometime!

How's about:

Mother

Father

Dance classes as a child

Dance classes as a teenager

Forced to dance classes against my will

And ask people to say below what sort of dancing their parents did, and maybe what era (my parents were 1950's, so a bit different from some of the younger folks on here who might have parent who are... err... about my age )

ex.Brum, now in limbo somewhere in the Midlands

My dad was good dancer, and he taught my mum, in ballroom and rock and roll, also as a child I did Irish dancing and later ballroom and latin till I was twelve. I sent my girls dancing when they were young but they lost intrest.

My mother told me she was one of the first people to be taught the cha cha cha in Britain. She demo'd and danced with someone called Pierre Margolie in London during the early fifties. He had learned it in Cuba. She could also tap dance, but I never saw her dance other than the odd social dance with my father. My sister went to stage school and learned jazz and tap, but she never kept it up.

Blog Entries

Apparently my Mum and Uncle used to be regular winners at local Jive competitions. Her description leads me to think that it was some kind of rock 'n' roll and totally improvised.
    My grandfather was somewhat of a ballroom expert and used to take my Nan and their daughters to tea dances regularly.
    However, I didn't even know any of this until about 6 months ago, so there was no direct influence on me learning to dance at all.

My mum and dad met at ballroom dancing, where my dad was apparently a very good dancer.

Up until recently they have been regularly dancing "square dancing" , unfortunatly my dad has just had a back operation, so it will be a few months until he is up and dancing again, not too bad seeing as he is in his late 70's now.

They did not teach me to dance though, but I guess he passed on some of his dance jeans (ok can;t spell it), my older brother also dances ballroom and Latin and MJ.

I've been trying to drag them along the class in 'Culter but that requires me visiting them on a Tuesday when the class is on, so far that hasn't happened. However bar a brief work related ballroom class they did a few months ago they aren't the dancing types (though I'm sure they could be ).

So the short answer, no they didn't dance nor did I until recently.

Mum and Dad dancing?

Sorry .. Only times I've seen my parents dance is at weddings. I remember asking my sister

"What's wrong with Dad's back? he can't seem to straighten up.. and Mum seems to be trying to catch a fly that's buzzing around her head"

Probably adequately explains my dancing "Talent" .. Everything I don't know about dancing I learnt from my Parents

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post

How's about:

Mother
    My mum was an ice skater but also used to be (well still is actually) very good at Jiving, Rock around the clock, style!

Father
    My Dad's also good at Jive and apparently, together, they used to win competitions at the 'Woodgreen Jazz club'.

Dance classes as a child
    Yes, from the age of three, Ballet, Tap and Jazz

Dance classes as a teenager
    Yes, all the above till I was sixteen

Forced to dance classes against my will
    I wish my parent's would have bullied me to carry on!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Nope - neither do or have ever done so

I didn't start dancing until I was 18 (at uni) but wished I had started a lot sooner

Commercial Operator

If i find out who my "dad" is, ill ask

As for mun - NO.

My mum was a fabulous dancer and entered competitions in her young days in Ireland. She did not dance after she met my dad though just at weddings and such things. Funnily enough I found a lovely photograph of my son and her today, and it looks very much like she was leading him with the style and upright poise she had, albeit she was only a little lady and he is a chest and a head above her. I do recall that whenever she was on the dance floor her stance just seemed to change to that of pure elegance. Miss her terribly but was really glad she saw me dance and was able to see the Ceroc Trophy I won with Blueshoes in Novemeber last year. She was really proud. Never saw my dad dance but his sisters were known around County Cavan as being really good dancers.
    Last edited by rubyred; 5th-October-2007 at 05:18 PM.
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

I've added a public poll – hope it covers most circumstances.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

My mother was a professional dancer, she was Victor Silvester's Taxi Dancer (for want of a better word). Her job was to keep the punters happy on the dance floor, she did it with her sister and my father came too to make sure there was no 'funny business'

My son doesn't dance, although Mikey got him on the floor for my last big birthday (some forumites might remember) and my grandsons don't appear to have much dancing interest

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

My mum was a highland dancer, she won tons of medals and trophies , This was in inverness, she did send me to toddler dance classes but we moved to aberdeenshire so she never sent me to dance classes in fear i would not find fun in it cos i am deaf.

I did ask her why she never sent me cos i love dancing, music. She said she does realise that now but too late. She is happy to hear that i do ceroc now although!!

My Dad nope he is a right hippie and dont do dances!!

My mum and dad still dance (old time and modern sequence) my dad is 80 and my mum 79, they go 3 nights a week (having stopped one recently) and then they go swanning off to Cornwall on a regular basis to dance there. Next year they are having their diamond wedding party in Cornwall - dancing of course.

I think I went to some lessons as a child and was also taken to some of their dances, I also tried to get my (ex) husband to ballroom classes but he had 2 left feet and a distinct lack of interest.

Itsybitsy

Blog Entries

Well mine and DT's parents would only dance at weddings as most parents did. Or any family party. Normally they would be asked to get up when a rock n roll number came on and as a kid, i used to think they were brill. Mind you, i also remember dad needing 20 pints afterwards to recover

Me and sis took mum once to a ceroc night in our early days. She thought they were all mad cause they were not doing jive as she used to remember it and never really wanted to come again. So, you could say its a miracle me and sis ever ventured into the dance arena.

My youngest however, is a keen dancer and dances when ever he gets the opportunity so as soon as he is old enough, he will be 6 in january, im taking him. I cant wait to get him into it. My only regret is that i didn't get into dance young enough that i could have got my eldest into it. My eldest would die of embarassment if he saw me dancing im sure of it. Mind you, i die of embarassment when i see me dancing

Thread Information