Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dress code

ex.Brum, now in limbo somewhere in the Midlands

Re: Dress code

[QUOTE=killingtime;415579]At least he gets to make that choice.

Does he wear socks or just dance in his bare feet? I can see practical reasons why bare feet are bad (bear feet are bad too). As for socks, I sometimes dance WCS in my socks

He dances in his bare feet, and by looks of it, it does not help his dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by timbp View Post
    For parties, I say no shorts. And enforce this at the door. And be gender-equivalent: if you refuse a man wearing shorts, then also refuse women wearing shorts.
    Are "Chalottes" shorts? (Is that the right spelling?) What about "hot pants"? or "3/4 length"? or "Baggies"?

At what point do "shorts" become "shorts"?

If banning these from ladies, shouldn't you also ban skirts of a similar length?

The whole dress code thing is taken far too seriously. It is just a guideline for people to know the general level of dressiness.

As to what people wear, it is entirely up to them and if you think that what they are wearing is not suitable for dancing, then dance with someone else. Also everything goes, fashionwise these days.

As to correlating what is acceptable for women to what is acceptable for men, this is just crazy. Women are used to wearing the bare essentials or should i say clothes that cover the bare essentials. Unless you fancy wearing a borat g-string, i suggest you keep to more mundane clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Raul View Post
    The whole dress code thing is taken far too seriously. It is just a guideline for people to know the general level of dressiness.
    Umm...

Quote Originally Posted by Martin's Quote
    Even as we head into summer, we do not allow 'shorts' at our classes.
    Seems less of a guideline and more of a "we won't let you in" sort of rule.

Quote Originally Posted by killingtime View Post
    Umm...
    Seems less of a guideline and more of a "we won't let you in" sort of rule.
    You could be right.

Rules can be stupid sometimes. They will let in people who dance atrociously and dangerously, perverts etc.. as well as women in bikinis and stilettos but will not admit people in shorts. What about people in Dinner Jackets and flip flops?

I wear what I want, how I want but for some reason most of I what I wear looks reasonably ok and can pass as smart.

The white tshirt with a shirt over works wonders!!

I think for classes, let people wear what they are comfortable (and get your staff to follow a dress code). If a dress code matters, people will quickly pick it up from the staff.

For parties, I say no shorts. And enforce this at the door. And be gender-equivalent: if you refuse a man wearing shorts, then also refuse women wearing shorts.

Classes are just people turning up to learn what you are teaching. You can indicate by example what is appropriate dress, but not really govern what they wear.
    A party is a social event where you are the host. Most people will naturally dress up for the night out. For those who don't, you, as host, can refuse entry.
    Let's not make this dress restriction into too large an issue. I wouldn't get too stressed about the shorts restriction for Brisbane; there aren't bouncers on the door checking your appearance before you're allowed in, (and am assuming that the Gold Coast classes are similar).

I'm quite happy with the clothing preference requirements here - the majority view of the women expressed here is that they don't want to dance with men in shorts/vests, so it's reasonable to have guidance telling people what to wear. I'd be more comfortable dancing in shorts, but realise that shorts and dance trainers is a poor combination

As for moving up here; I don't know what the weather is currently like in Sydney, but I had a lovely time dancing outside last night down on the Gold Coast (although it was a little on the warm side earlier on).

Quote Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
    I'm quite happy with the clothing preference requirements here - the majority view of the women expressed here is that they don't want to dance with men in shorts/vests, so it's reasonable to have guidance telling people what to wear. I'd be more comfortable dancing in shorts, but realise that shorts and dance trainers is a poor combination
    <yeah that>

What is being said - I think, is that, it is an evening of entertainment, here is a guide to the dress code.

come casual smart - let's spell it out, as some guys are a bit slow on casual smart...

women generally will not wear shorts if they look daggy, but men will, so we need to educate sometimes...
    Some women wore sexy, very short shorts (and all power to them), no guys did the daggy thing.

As for moving up here; I don't know what the weather is currently like in Sydney, but I had a lovely time dancing outside last night down on the Gold Coast (although it was a little on the warm side earlier on).
    I also had a great time there... When you come down next (to the Gold Coast) do ask Kent or Emma to point me out - just ask for them to point out Martin, recently up from Sydney...

As for moving up here;
    Oops. I haven't heard anything about that application (I even forgot I sent it), so it looks like Ceroc dancers in Scotland are more interested than the people I sent my application to (I hope Connie has better luck).

Dont see the problem with shorts myself. Why would a woman be staring at your legs while dancing with you anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    At what point do "shorts" become "shorts"?
    At the point where I (a man) am told I cannot enter a venue because I am wearing shorts, when I am in company of women wearing shorts shorter than what I am wearing. (OK, so maybe I should wear shorter shorts.)
    And in fact that has never happened to me (but I have seen it happen to others).
    But the thread topic "Dress code" immediately makes me think of all the....who have refused me entry.

(I hope Connie has better luck).
    Serious embarrassment here. I thought the Interview Tips thread was Connies. Sorry to everyone who has ever thought about considering reading any posts related in any way to that thread.

At the point where I (a man) am told I cannot enter a venue because I am wearing shorts, when I am in company of women wearing shorts shorter than what I am wearing. (OK, so maybe I should wear shorter shorts.)
    And in fact that has never happened to me (but I have seen it happen to others).
    But the thread topic "Dress code" immediately makes me think of all the....who have refused me entry.

Simple really, you, as a man, dress smart and do not wear shorts if you want to dance in Queensland, also if you want to come to the nightclub after, you will not get in, and have to go home early.

Ladies in sexy shorts, of course that is all cool... such is life.

Not you in a pair of sexy ladies shorts,,, might not work as well.

It is simply practical.

If you are really keen on wearing shorts, then do so at your local venue. If not a problem for them and not a problem for you,,, all power to you.

In the same way that you cannot walk down the main street of Malta town in Malta in a swimming costume (believe me, I tried and got the police talking to me, and the ladies in thier bikinis - we had to cover up), respect local cultures or local rules and all is fine...

If you do not like the rules, vote with your feet and do not go, if all others feel the same the venue will close.

I don't think there should be rules laid out as such, it is pretty much the same as the other thread discussing number of dances.

I wear trousers, almost completely because, getting home late at night is cold and I'm a wimp! It has absolutly nothing to do with the fact that if I wore a skirt my legs would scare everyone away.

I can only rememeber dancing with guys in shorts while on Holiday and holiday rules don't count.

I think that I would avoid dancing (if possible) with a guy in shorts - for what reason - it's just wrong! However if I lived on those sunny beaches then maybe the holiday rules would become normal!

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Temptme View Post
    I
    I think that I would avoid dancing (if possible) with a guy in shorts - for what reason - it's just wrong!

Sometimes the ‘reason’ can only be justified by yourself and by how it ‘feels’ to you

So if I think someone looks a prat dancing in white tee shirt and white shorts say at Windsor Ceroc , it maybe only me that thinks that

He may ‘to me’, look fine playing Tennis like that

Sometimes things just seem ‘wrong’ to me how they ‘seem’ to others could of course be very different

I don't think there should be rules laid out as such, it is pretty much the same as the other thread discussing number of dances.

I wear trousers, almost completely because, getting home late at night is cold and I'm a wimp! It has absolutly nothing to do with the fact that if I wore a skirt my legs would scare everyone away.

I can only rememeber dancing with guys in shorts while on Holiday and holiday rules don't count.

I think that I would avoid dancing (if possible) with a guy in shorts - for what reason - it's just wrong! However if I lived on those sunny beaches then maybe the holiday rules would become normal!
    Firstly, welcome "Auntie Temptme" (cool name!!)

The thing to remember is that the dress codes rules are for a dance venue in Brisbane in sub-tropical Australia; last night at 7pm it was 23 degrees and 75% humidity (i.e. fairly humid), and it will only get hotter and more humid as the summer arrives! Hardly any of the women last night were wearing trousers. I've not heard any of the other men in here moan about the "no shorts" rule.

Slightly off topic, but I was amused a while back when learning the Aussie expression for tight Speedos/swimming trunks - "Budgie smugglers"! So descriptive, and yet also quite funny!!!

I went to the Black and White Ball at Ashton's once and I would never dance in a tuxedo again because of the heat in the venue at the time.

I like having some room to manouvere when wearing clothing to dance and not to sweat excessively in the process, which is often what happens when you seem to wear more formal gear.

best
    johnnyman

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post

Sometimes the ‘reason’ can only be justified by yourself and by how it ‘feels’ to you

So if I think someone looks a prat dancing in white tee shirt and white shorts say at Windsor Ceroc , it maybe only me that thinks that

He may ‘to me’, look fine playing Tennis like that

Sometimes things just seem ‘wrong’ to me how they ‘seem’ to others could of course be very different
    Completly agree! My reasoning goes along the lines of it's not warm enough to be in shorts (well it certainly hasn't been here recently!) if they are well - just something doesn't feel right! However if it turns out they are visiting from Greenland and does find it warm - then

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyman View Post
    I went to the Black and White Ball at Ashton's once and I would never dance in a tuxedo again because of the heat in the venue at the time.
    Yes, the B&W ball has been absolutely rammed every time - at least this year apparently it'll be gender-balanced. But obviously, that may make it more crowded on the dance floor, because there will be a higher percentage of people able to dance...

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyman View Post
    I like having some room to manouvere when wearing clothing to dance and not to sweat excessively in the process, which is often what happens when you seem to wear more formal gear.
    I like dressing up - I've got a whole selection of waistcoats which only see the light of day around Xmas - but I agree that it gets very uncomfortable very quickly.

One tip: if you wear two layers (e.g. a T-shirt under the shirt) you sweat more but it's contained, so your partner doesn't have to feel it.

Completly agree! My reasoning goes along the lines of it's not warm enough to be in shorts (well it certainly hasn't been here recently!) if they are well - just something doesn't feel right! However if it turns out they are visiting from Greenland and does find it warm - then
    It probably is in the venue though if you dance to every song. If I wear a think T-shirt I'll probably feel the need to change it in about half the time of wearing a thin one. I expect if I wore shorts my body temperature would be kept down further and I'd need to get a T-shirt change less often (plus apparently no-one would dance with me so I'd be even cooler still ).

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    One tip: if you wear two layers (e.g. a T-shirt under the shirt) you sweat more but it's contained, so your partner doesn't have to feel it.
    True, though it doesn't stop you feeling like your about to pass out due to the heat.

Thread Information