Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dress code

Re: Dress code

Quote Originally Posted by Twirlie Bird View Post
    Did anyone see those two guys at Bliss wearing shorts, socks and shoes?
    did you have to remind me?!

In the blues room, pink t-shirt pulled tight over a big belly, light coloured shorts and white hairy legs, socks and shoes...

Thank heavens I only saw one of them...

(and before you guys start complaining, I have no problems with bellies... nice to cuddle into, but not when supported by a pair of legs that look like furry matchsticks!)

Now then, when i first met the lovely Trouble i was a shorts and vest type guy, and i thought i looked quite dashing.

Once Trouble set me on the path of good dress code i never wear shorts and vests anymore.

I am now allowed to dance only in trousers and shirts.

My shorts and vests are now compulsary summer work wear whilst scaffolding.

By the way i have received loads of comments upon the lines off.........Since you and Trouble have been together your dress sense has massivley improved...also.....Dave Dave w all love and admire your youthfull dancing and classical good looks and boyish physique.....

Sorry drifted off for a while there.

Shorts and vests and dancing.....NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

XXX XXX DTS Dave

XX XXX DTS Dave

Mrs Pretzelmeister

Shorts: I think it depends entirely where you are. Smart evening event, evening freestyle in the UK - shorts not ok. Afternoon dancing on the beachfront at Bronte (for example ) or even a hot sunny Southport on the decking, I'm more willing to be lenient. But shorts should be no shorter than knee-length, so no bare thigh-to-thigh contact.

The leg issue is no different from men dancing in kilts (which I am all for - a good-quality kilt is sufficiently heavy that you're mostly safe from unsightly sights!). The shoe/sock issue is much more pertinent. Socks should be the sort that can't be seen, and NEVER with sandals

Girls can wear shorts in the same spirit as short skirts - bare legs seem to be acceptable (although frankly I've seen legs on show under short skirts/shorts that should be banished to under trousers and have male friends with better legs than me so hard-and-fast rules aren't all that helpful!)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_and_tonic View Post

Hahahaha! So true, guys dancing in shorts = major fashion faux pas. Even worse when worn with socks and sandals...

Saying that, I love dancing in denim hotpants ! It's not the same though really because girls can look dressy in shorts depending on what they team them with.

Yeah exactly! I love dressing up!

I think you always look gorgeous Fletch
    thanks honey, and so do you, the thing I like about you is you have your own stlye

Did anyone see those two guys at Bliss wearing shorts, socks and shoes? :
    I danced with a big German guy. with cream shorts black socks and black shoes he was trying to tell me about a German comedy program on BBC2 I said I didn't think Germans had a sence of humor, looked him up and down and then said on second thoughts

was that crule I thought it was funny anyway

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    Now then, when i first met the lovely Trouble i was a shorts and vest type guy, and i thought i looked quite dashing.

Once Trouble set me on the path of good dress code i never wear shorts and vests anymore.

My shorts and vests are now compulsary summer work wear whilst scaffolding.

By the way i have received loads of comments upon the lines off.........Since you and Trouble have been together your dress sense has massivley improved...also.....Dave Dave w all love and admire your youthfull dancing and classical good looks and boyish physique.....

Sorry drifted off for a while there.

Shorts and vests and dancing.....NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

XXX XXX DTS Dave

XX XXX DTS Dave
    I can't imagin you in shorts and a vest.......oh hang on a moment .....yes I can .....I think you were lucky trouble got hold of you

you make me DTS

you had a lovley black shirt on when we went 'up north' to Mikey's new venue very sexy, I could just see Gerry in it

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    We are back to preference though. The basic question I'm still interested in though is: should we force the restriction on people rather than let them make up their own mind about what to (or not to) wear?

I'm firmly on no but it appears that many here are keen on pointing out the evils of shorts and how wearing them will cause other dancers to vomit, go blind or catch an STD.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Those 3/4 length trousers are OK, I think,...
    3/4 length trousers = chav

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    3/4 length trousers = chav
    I have just bought some black leather ones today, so I can wear them tucked into boots for the weekend i'm not sure about 3/4 leather pants on a 28 year old

Maddy made me buy them

Not very practical for hot weather but how about compulsory blue leather trousers for men, like Denzel Washington in 'Much Ado About Nothing'

In all seriousness you probably wouldn't.
    In all seriousness, when I've danced in shorts, or whatever, I've still got dances. I don't think most folks really care about what their partners wear, as long as it isn't spiky or otherwise painful. It's decent gossip, though.

Quote Originally Posted by LemonCake View Post
    No bare thigh-to-thigh contact.
    How come?

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    In all seriousness, when I've danced in shorts, or whatever, I've still got dances.
    I blame the ladies for the men in shorts.

As men in shorts etc. don't appear to have a problem getting dances they're clearly not being picky enough.

Men must be pickier.

Hence, even at gender balanced events, the much better quality of dress on the ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    I blame the ladies for the men in shorts.
    I blame the men in shorts.

Yeay for faux chivalry!

Quote Originally Posted by killingtime View Post
    We are back to preference though. The basic question I'm still interested in though is: should we force the restriction on people rather than let them make up their own mind about what to (or not to) wear?

I'm firmly on no but it appears that many here are keen on pointing out the evils of shorts and how wearing them will cause other dancers to vomit, go blind or catch an STD.

You still have the option to go 10 mins down the road to the other dance company, who do not have a "non daggy" policy. (use of word daggy, quoted from the stated policy)

Same as there were smoking and non smoking venues, you still had a choice which you went to. Also there are bring your own water, and don't bring your own water venues.

The choice is yours where you go, the choice is up to the company owners what policy they consider most suited to the evenings they run.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post

Please do not refer to old threads (how boring is that)

You would not be referring to a certain Intrepid Moderator by any chance would you?

Quote Originally Posted by Raul View Post

You would not be referring to a certain Intrepid Moderator by any chance would you?

The choice is yours where you go, the choice is up to the company owners what policy they consider most suited to the evenings they run.
    Sure is, I just don't quite understand why everyone seems so in favour of a dance class restricting the choices of clothing you wear. Is they said no trainers (including dance trainers) would people still be as happy? How about no heels (which actually has a practical, rather than aesthetic reason)?

Tell me it is a formal evening and I'll dress up in a suit (for at least the first two dances before I virtually melt ) but I just don't really understand why a class feels that it should dictate what people should wear rather than let them wear what they are comfortable in.

ex.Brum, now in limbo somewhere in the Midlands

There is a guy who wears shorts all year round and no shoes in the midlandsI avoid dancing with him because I am worried I will step on his toes, it is dangerous and gross.

Quote Originally Posted by sidney View Post
    There is a guy who wears shorts all year round and no shoes in the midlandsI avoid dancing with him because I am worried I will step on his toes, it is dangerous and gross.
    At least he gets to make that choice.

Does he wear socks or just dance in his bare feet? I can see practical reasons why bare feet are bad (bear feet are bad too). As for socks, I sometimes dance WCS in my socks.

Incidentally I've heard tale of women who wear shoes that virtually expose all the top of their feet .

Also there are bring your own water, and don't bring your own water venues.
    That's different though, they don't have a "bring your own water unless it's 'with a hint of blueberry' because da management finds blueberry flavour water unacceptable, it sullies the atmosphere of the venue".

Here is a direct quote from Queensland (the sunshine state)

"Dress Code at Classes
    A reminder that our Dress Code for classes is 'Smart Casual'.
    Even as we head into summer, we do not allow 'shorts' at our classes.

Think of it like this... would you wear shorts out to a club on Saturday night?
    Face it, put shorts and dancing together and it just looks daggy!

Most people are fine, but if you're not sure, please ask one of our friendly door staff for a copy of the dress code for guys or girls."

Please do not refer to old threads (how boring is that) - thing is, Queensland is hot, sunny and has a surf culture. So shorts are daily stuff.

I think the dress code is a good thing, what are your thoughts?
    I am in the middle of writing an application for a job in Brisbane (I'm now in Sydney). This dress code does put me off applying for the job. I see classes as classes, and I wear what is most comfortable. When I go to a party I dress up. The girls I know are much the same.
    I fully support a dress code for parties. Even though many girls look great in shorts, they almost always look better in a skirt.

I think for classes, let people wear what they are comfortable (and get your staff to follow a dress code). If a dress code matters, people will quickly pick it up from the staff.

For parties, I say no shorts. And enforce this at the door. And be gender-equivalent: if you refuse a man wearing shorts, then also refuse women wearing shorts.

Classes are just people turning up to learn what you are teaching. You can indicate by example what is appropriate dress, but not really govern what they wear.
    A party is a social event where you are the host. Most people will naturally dress up for the night out. For those who don't, you, as host, can refuse entry.

I have to admit my main concern is an expected bias. I can see men wearing shorts being refused entry while women wearing shorts are allowed in. (I've had many bad experiences with Sydney bouncers. Unfortunately I cannot lower my intelligence to match theirs, so we cannot communicate sensibly.)

Another thought: many women's outfits are designed with skirt and trousers or skirt and shorts (or all three). So women wearing shorts might be refused entry while women wearing the equivalent skirt are allowed in.

Personally, I would not wear shorts (they wouldn't go with my dance shoes). But I don't like the idea of people being banned for wearing shorts.

I prefer for dress codes to be naturally cultural. If people do not dance with people wearing shorts, then people will stop wearing shorts. If people are happy to dance with people wearing shorts, then what is the point of banning them?.

Blog Entries

On my first ever weekender, for the classes I wore comfortable tracksuit trousers which had zip off legs to make them 3/4 length.
    It was very hot and during classes I undid the zips let the 1/4 of the legs just drop onto my trainers.
    I probably looked a complete tw@t, but at the time I didn't care.

If having a class full of "dags" puts off regulars and new-comers, then having a "no-dag" policy makes sense.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Thread Information