Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welsh language thread

Welsh language thread

I have always (in theory) loved the sound of Welsh. I use to watch Welsh TV (Miri Mawr) when I was a kid (could nt understand it) and my best friends are often Welsh (!). Bizarre but true.

Could someone tell me what the word for September is in Welsh!

Re: Welsh language thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    I have always (in theory) loved the sound of Welsh. I use to watch Welsh TV (Miri Mawr) when I was a kid (could nt understand it) and my best friends are often Welsh (!). Bizarre but true.

If you go to Wales and ask 1000 people you will find 995 will say September

A quick google and i couldn't find it sorry

Gwasanatheau

Nothing to do with September, just trying to recite what I remember seeing on Welsh motorways. I've probably mis-spelled it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTomato View Post
    Gwasanatheau
    Bless you!

September is Medi apparantly

Don't speak Welsh.. I don't speak Gaelic either. Come to think of it I don't even speak English... Gibberish is my native tongue

My Favourite Welshman and Welshwoman?

Has to be Ivor the Engine and The witch from Chorton and the Wheelies !!

But what is it about the welsh accent though? If you don't have one naturally and you try to put one on.. 99.9% of the time you'll end up speaking Indian ? (and Vice versa)

Start off doing my Tom Jones.. and before you know it I'm Apu from the Simpsons !

"I sing about the green green grass of my home boyo.. Oh deary me mister Simpson I do not think I can sell you an all syrup super squishy. Please Come again!"

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    But what is it about the welsh accent though? If you don't have one naturally and you try to put one on.. 99.9% of the time you'll end up speaking Indian ? (and Vice versa)
    So true

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    If you go to Wales and ask 1000 people you will find 995 will say September
    Nope. About 20% of us speak Welsh. In parts of the North and West it's the majority language and English is only spoken with outsiders. In the rest of the country we have to put up with being in the minority.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTomato View Post
    Gwasanatheau

Nothing to do with September, just trying to recite what I remember seeing on Welsh motorways. I've probably mis-spelled it as well.
    Close enough. It's Gwasanaethau, meaning "services".

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    Bless you!

September is Medi apparantly
    Yup, Medi it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    I'll tell you all the months if you like.

Ionawr
    Chwefror
    Mawrth
    Ebrill
    Mai
    Mehefin
    Gorffenaf
    Awst
    Medi
    Hydref
    Tachwedd
    Rhagfyr

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    Bless you!
    I could make a similar unfunny comment based on stereotypes about your language too. But I won't.

Gan taw "trywydd iaith Gymraeg" yw hwn, man a man i fi adael neges Cymraeg yma. Felly dyma fe.

...which is, being interpreted: As this is a "Welsh language thread", I may as well leave a Welsh-language message here. So here it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Baruch View Post
    Nope. About 20% of us speak Welsh. In parts of the North and West it's the majority language and English is only spoken with outsiders. In the rest of the country we have to put up with being in the minority.
    Yup, friendly bunch those Welsh.

My brother visited his girlfriends parents in Wales, small village... they went to the local pub, he ordered in English... all the pub then stopped speaking in English and switched to Welsh. NICE.

Thing is he can speak Welsh (coz his girlfriend was Welsh, he took the time to learn it) , was not nice what they said...

In the end his Welsh girlfriend stood up and blasted the locals.

On the positive side, my brother is now married to this Welsh girl, who he met at Cambridge Uni, she is out-spoken, from a small mining village and quirky.

Thier children speak both English and Welsh (English to the father and Welsh to the mother)... and the oldest who is 6 speaks 3 more languages fluently..

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Yup, friendly bunch those Welsh.
    Er... I'm one of them, you know... Except that I'm a Welsh-speaker in a predominately English-speaking area.

they went to the local pub, he ordered in English... all the pub then stopped speaking in English and switched to Welsh. NICE.
    I've heard this one so many times from monoglot English speakers. OK, sometimes people will walk into a pub and there's an unfriendly atmosphere, but that can happen anywhere. It's not an exclusively Welsh phenomenon. I remember experiencing it myself in a small pub in Dorset, for example. But in an area where the majority of the population speaks Welsh, how likely is it that they would all be speaking English to each other then switch to their native language only when an English-speaker walks in? That's not to say that it never happens, but I find it very unlikely myself. In a Welsh-speaking community people will be speaking Welsh naturally to each other whether there are English people there or not.

In the end his Welsh girlfriend stood up and blasted the locals.
    If they really were saying unpleasant things about him, good for her.

Er... I'm one of them, you know... Except that I'm a Welsh-speaker in a predominately English-speaking area.
    Yeah I know, sorry, I generalised too much.

I've heard this one so many times from monoglot English speakers. OK, sometimes people will walk into a pub and there's an unfriendly atmosphere, but that can happen anywhere. It's not an exclusively Welsh phenomenon. I remember experiencing it myself in a small pub in Dorset, for example. But in an area where the majority of the population speaks Welsh, how likely is it that they would all be speaking English to each other then switch to their native language only when an English-speaker walks in? That's not to say that it never happens, but I find it very unlikely myself. In a Welsh-speaking community people will be speaking Welsh naturally to each other whether there are English people there or not.
    Well it did happen, but that is not to say a similar lack of welcome does not happen in other small village pubs, wherever they be.

If they really were saying unpleasant things about him, good for her.
    Well it did have a positive outcome, some of the locals came up later and apologised, and chatted to them, both in English and Welsh.

a bit off topic with this post I'm afraid..

When I was last down in London on the bus to Twirly's after getting off the tube from the airport a bunch of three merry drunks got on and sat next to me. They were loud and being drunk also quite chatty.
    Anyway one thing led to another and they got to speaking to me and one of them asked me where I was from.. I said can't you tell from my accent?

"You're Irish!!"
    "erm.. nope!"
    "English?"
    "haha nope try again!"
    "You're not Welsh are you?"
    "(am nearly choking at this point) Nope I'm not Welsh either.. one more shot"
    "Erm.. (long pause).. Are you Scottish?"
    "Bingo !!"

Now I don't have a broad Scottish Accent and I have been accused of being Irish before.. and on occasion I've been accused of being English but I have never.. EVER been accused of being Welsh before being correctly identified as being a Scot

I guess I'll need to get more elocution lessons... from Rab C Nesbitt

Blog Entries

I think it's about time you lot from the colonies gave up your silly old languages and traditions, accept that you're part of the British empire and start behaving accordingly.

An Eclectic Toaster

For a while I worked on the phone software in our company, which as a semi-public one has to provide equivalent Welsh-language services. Naturally this means we have to provide Welsh-language phone systems for our call centres.

I can't remember the precise details, but prior to it going live, one of our Welsh-language testers pointed out a fairly significant problem with our messages at one point. Turned out the word our translation providers were using for "press" would more commonly be understood to mean "squeeze"...

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M View Post
    For a while I worked on the phone software in our company, which as a semi-public one has to provide equivalent Welsh-language services. Naturally this means we have to provide Welsh-language phone systems for our call centres.
    The Welsh Language act is a bit PC-gone-mad, isn't it?

An Eclectic Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    The Welsh Language act is a bit PC-gone-mad, isn't it?
    It's PC, but I wouldn't describe it as PC-gone-mad. Nothing wrong with trying to preserve languages IMO, particularly one as old and nice-sounding as Welsh.

Frankly, the way Standard English is galloping headlong towards the lowest common denominator (a sort of txt spk version of US English ), it needs to start fighting its corner too...

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    I think it's about time you lot from the colonies gave up your silly old languages and traditions, accept that you're part of the British empire and start behaving accordingly.
    By forming a militant nationalist movement and trying to kill the representatives of the occupying forces?
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Thread Information