Thread: Chance to Dance Website

Chance to Dance Website

I'm trying to read the website but getting nowhere with the drop down buttons or some of the links. I'm using Mozilla .... anyone else having a problem?
    and I thought the Ceroc Champs website was badly designed

Re: Chance to Dance Website

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    I'm trying to read the website but getting nowhere with the drop down buttons or some of the links. I'm using Mozilla .... anyone else having a problem?
    Maybe I shouldn't grace a poorly designed site with a link but I'm lazy and nearly didn't bother Googling it so here it is. You are quite right, IE designed scripts. Tried it in Firefox and then IE, works ok in IE and not in Firefox. Cross-browser scripting? Pah!

Update: Except Hall of Fame which does work, but then has one of the side scrolling ticker things, bleh.

Doesn't work in Safari either – again, except for the "2008 info" page with is basically empty, and the hall of fame pages. I don't see any side-scrolling ticker thing though.

As the 2008 info page says though, the web site is still being build, so hopefully it won't be too hard to fix the problem.

My best advice would be to dump the home-made pages with the dodgy javascript and use a content management system that does all the navigation stuff for you.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

and I thought the Ceroc Champs website was badly designed
    When I am in mood I run peoples web pages through The W3C Markup Validation Service

Most I have tried fail.

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    My best advice would be to dump the home-made pages with the dodgy javascript and use a content management system that does all the navigation stuff for you.
    My best advice would be to get a professional to do it! I got my business website built for only £700 and it looks absolutely professional (not a Frontpage knockoff like my last one). I probably wasted well over £700 of my time before I let an expert do it.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

My best advice would be to get a professional to do it! I got my business website built for only £700 and it looks absolutely professional (not a Frontpage knockoff like my last one). I probably wasted well over £700 of my time before I let an expert do it.
    true - could be money well spent if its for work. Ducasis idea is a good one for that middle ground of people who have a decent understanding on how it all works and can best use their time by using opensource stuff thats already out there.

Gus: whats your address then ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Gus: whats your address then ?
    Gorgeous Gus

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Tessalicious View Post
    I thought "The Hipsters of the North" was quite prophetic.

R.I.P. Cook Catz & Hipsters

Quote Originally Posted by Tessalicious View Post
    Actually thats the defunct dance business (and it was a very rough Frontpage thing I whacked together a long time ago), not my consultancy site for Allan Consulting. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your viewpoint) I'm on the process of mothballing the consultancy practice as I've just accepted a wage slave role (paid holidays!!!) so the new website will be mothballed before even being launched. Shame considering I've paid a lot of money out on advertising type stuff but its just the way it goes sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    I thought "The Hipsters of the North" was quite prophetic.

R.I.P. Cook Catz & Hipsters
    HEY! Cool Catz isn't dead (yet). It was Gorgeous Gus Dance that got totalled ... oh, the original Cool Catz at Knutsford has ceased but Cool Catz at Northwich exists till December ... THEN its RIP () ..... long and boring story

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your viewpoint) I'm on the process of mothballing the consultancy practice as I've just accepted a wage slave role (paid holidays!!!) so the new website will be mothballed before even being launched.
    Is it possible to give a link to it anyhow? (My brother-in-law is in the process of getting a site done professionally and it's all going somewhat pear-shaped. I'd be interested to see what you can get for £700 these days).

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    Is it possible to give a link to it anyhow? (My brother-in-law is in the process of getting a site done professionally and it's all going somewhat pear-shaped. I'd be interested to see what you can get for £700 these days).
    Don't know if you mean bespoke or something he could maintain himself, but if it's the latter, bludomain and flashpalette.com, bigfolio.com, creativemotion, livebooks.com and Winklet design. All are aimed at photographers ... but might give you/your BIL some ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Feelingpink View Post
    Don't know if you mean bespoke or something he could maintain himself,
    Bespoke in this instance (I dare say I will end up doing any required maintenance).

but if it's the latter, bludomain and flashpalette.com, bigfolio.com, creativemotion, livebooks.com and Winklet design. All are aimed at photographers ... but might give you/your BIL some ideas.
    Interesting - lots of stuff I didn't know existed. You can certainly get some quite sophisticated stuff for not much $$$! I think photographers websites have evolved to being a lot more "bells and whistles" than is appropriate for a typical "small-business" site though (photography sites are one of the cases where using Flash as the primary front end seems justified, for example).

As for giving the BIL ideas, problem is he's already invested time and money with the guy doing the bespoke site, so it's a big step to try something else at this point.

...As for giving the BIL ideas, problem is he's already invested time and money with the guy doing the bespoke site, so it's a big step to try something else at this point.
    More time and money to produce a bigger pear?

If I were looking for someone who really knew what they were doing, as distinct from fooling most of the people most of the time, I would look at ISP (Internet Service Provider) sites, find one whose site looked good and passed the W3C validator, and approach the guy that designed their site.

There are some "best web design" sites that may be another approach.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    More time and money to produce a bigger pear?
    Well, that is the concern, although I've strongly hinted they shouldn't pay him any more money.

To be fair, this is a simple site for what's essentially a 1-man business. It shouldn't need a high-powered website designer. I think the guy concerned is trying to be too clever.

Well, that is the concern, although I've strongly hinted they shouldn't pay him any more money.

To be fair, this is a simple site for what's essentially a 1-man business. It shouldn't need a high-powered website designer. I think the guy concerned is trying to be too clever.
    pretty and clever is all very good - but first up need to have a good site plan other wise site will be pretty and funky but pretty much useless and annoying - a good site plan generally means that you will only need to do cosmetic touch ups rather than compete rebuilds as time goes by

Oh and by the way I hate flash only sites - as everywhere I have worked in the last 6 years hasn't had flash installed on it's computers...

They have all of those wonderful tools, it seems a shame not to use them ...

I did a Dogpile UK Web Search Home Page search on 'examples of good web design' and came up with some horrors, but also some I liked, including:

Current style in web design

Thread Information