Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dance floor etiquette - are Beginners sufficiently briefed?

Re: Dance floor etiquette - are Beginners sufficiently briefed?

Quote Originally Posted by timbp View Post
    It sounds like if he was holding tight you assumed he wanted another dance, but beginners hold tight for many reasons.
    To devour your brains?

Oh I'm confusing beginners and zombies again, aren't I ?

Quote Originally Posted by timbp View Post
    That sounds to me like he didn't know how to finsih. How did you ask him to continue to the second, and then third, song? It sounds like if he was holding tight you assumed he wanted another dance, but beginners hold tight for many reasons.

Possibly you're right and he didn't know how to finish. I didn't actually ask him to continue for a second then third song; as I said earlier in the thread normally I would say thank you and part at the end of the track. IIRC that's what I tried to do at the end of the first track. However he kept dancing through the few seconds until the next track started so I assumed he either hadn't heard me, or had heard but still wanted to continue. Either way I didn't want to make an issue of it as he seemed keen to continue. When the same thing happened at the end of the second track I just went with it as I assumed we'd keep going until he wanted to stop - not realising we'd stop in the middle of the next song!

Out of curiosity what other reasons would a beginner have to hold tight to a stranger they had only just met? Genuine question, as apart from seeking reassurance I'm not sure I can think of many others. And TBH he wasn't actually holding that tight; it was more the fact he kept dancing that made me think he wanted to keep dancing

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by firefly View Post
    However he kept dancing through the few seconds until the next track started so I assumed he either hadn't heard me, or had heard but still wanted to continue.
    Hehe, as a beginner I do remember concentrating so hard on the moves that I didn't really hear the music. I kept in time with it, but didn't hear the tune. Is it possible that he was concentrating so much that he didn't notice the songs end? Eventually he may have just thought "this song's going to go on forever" and gave up?

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Hehe, as a beginner I do remember concentrating so hard on the moves that I didn't really hear the music. I kept in time with it, but didn't hear the tune. Is it possible that he was concentrating so much that he didn't notice the songs end? Eventually he may have just thought "this song's going to go on forever" and gave up?
    Very possibly !

I don't bear the guy any animosity for leaving me stranded as I guessed it may have been something similar to what Gav suggested. He obviously felt the class wasn't for him as I haven't seen him again since.
    Last edited by firefly; 5th-October-2007 at 11:54 AM. Reason: clarity

When I danced at Cambridge the teachers (Mick and Robin - both female) used to give a little speech at the end of the beginners' class about everyone being able to ask for a dance, not refusing, that it wasn't a pulling thing etc. I have also seen Simon Borland do something similar, including a bit about towels, deodorant and clean shirts. It should be part of every teacher's patter, IMHO.

I actually interrrupted two dances at Beach Boogie this year One was because one of the dancers was a First Aider whose assistance was required, and the other was because the lady in question was having a visible "wardrobe malfunction" and her partner hadn't said anything In both cases the interruption was effected by gesticulating from the side of the dance floor, and catching the eye of the person, rather than dragging them off physically.

Thread Information