Thread: Ultimate Fighter - Best Ever

Ultimate Fighter - Best Ever

I know it is really immature and bizarre but for some reason my interest in all styles fighting has been re-ignited by a visit to the video section of a local charity shop! (And no i don't walk around the shops with a pit bull terrier).

I quite like watching cage fighting and K1 etc.

Who is the best fighter in the world and who is (pound for pound) the best fighter in the world?

I was surprised at how well grapplers do in fighting competition. I was also surprised to see how ineffective the technique of a really good big strong athletic kicker puncher (with grappling skills) was against one of the Gracies (Brazilian jiu jitsu) who looked more like a tennis player than a fighter!

And no, I am not going back to martial arts!It's just a morbid fascination, ok?Or I'll set the dog on you!

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: Ultimate Fighter - Best Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    Who is the best fighter in the world and who is (pound for pound) the best fighter in the world?
    Royce Gracie of course

I was surprised at how well grapplers do in fighting competition. I was also surprised to see how ineffective the technique of a really good big strong athletic kicker puncher (with grappling skills) was against one of the Gracies (Brazilian jiu jitsu) who looked more like a tennis player than a fighter!
    Why were you so surprised? Many people consider Bruce Lee, quite rightly, one of the best public martial artists of all time - yet he was to all outward (and obviously fully clothed) appearances, simply a small slim Chinese man. He didn't even look like a good tennis player

Quite simply.... ME !!

With my mastery of Geek Kwon Do with a subtle blending key combat elements of Nerd Fu I am a force to be reckoned with. I have mastered the ancient martial art of "Phantom Tongue" the skill to speak out of sync with my lip movements.

I have watched House of Flying Daggers, Hero and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon so many times I could practically speak the dialog. I've seen all the Matrix films and Most of Jason Statham's Movies.

But more importantly.. my greatest power.. Taught to me by an ancient tibetian monk .. the self preserving art of "Ruu-naa-wai"

Seriously.. Fighting , unless staged for a Film with stunt men and wire work, is seriously disturbing. Boxers, "ultimate fighting" , Street Fighting etc all make me sick. I know this is a contradiction of terms (bearing in mind I love the old martial arts epics such as Fong Sai Yuk or newer ones like Ong Bak) but I can't stand violence being glorified.

There's a difference to watching Jet Li wire work his way round a movie set than seeing two grown men (or women) beat seven shades of SH*T out of each other. It's Roman Gladiatorial bloodlust whatever way you slice it !!

.. oooh er.. can someone help me down of this soapbox ... I'm afraid of heights

I was reading one of the 1000s of forums and blogs on this thread title a few weeks ago but not one mention of

George Bush

That guy has and could kill 10,000s of thousands of people by just using a pen

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    Quite simply.... ME !!

With my mastery of Geek Kwon Do with a subtle blending key combat elements of Nerd Fu I am a force to be reckoned with. I have mastered the ancient martial art of "Phantom Tongue" the skill to speak out of sync with my lip movements.

I have watched House of Flying Daggers, Hero and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon so many times I could practically speak the dialog. I've seen all the Matrix films and Most of Jason Statham's Movies.

But more importantly.. my greatest power.. Taught to me by an ancient tibetian monk .. the self preserving art of "Ruu-naa-wai"
    Excellent!! (Although I thought nerd fu was a food, but...)

Tip: don't bother with War, the Jason Statham/Jet Li flick. It's ho-hum cubed.

Oh nonsense. Your art of Ruu-naa-wai doesn't come close to the famed art of Ni-ke-do. (Though I understand many Americans claim Glock-fu to be superior).

"The Three Brothers

An Emperor of ancient China once asked his court physician, a member of a family of healers, which of them was the most skilled in the art of healing. The physician, whose reputation was such that his name became synonymous with medical science in China, replied:

My eldest brother sees the spirit of sickness and removes it before it takes shape, so his name does not get out of the house.

My elder brother cures sickness when it is still extremely minute, so his name does not get out of the neighborhood.

As for me, I puncture veins, prescribe potions, and massage skin so that, from time to time, my name gets out and is heard among the lords of this land."

So for me it would be whoever is best able to manage to live their live in peace and harmony.

There's a difference to watching Jet Li wire work his way round a movie set than seeing two grown men (or women) beat seven shades of SH*T out of each other. It's Roman Gladiatorial bloodlust whatever way you slice it !!

.. oooh er.. can someone help me down of this soapbox ... I'm afraid of heights
    While I agree, there is a second level to it. A lot of "self defence" is taught by people who've never been in a fight . The whole UFC has caused quite a bit of adaptation to various martial arts, notably the inclusion of ground fighting. It is a way of seeing how effective techniques are against a determined, skilled opponent. Originally there was a lot of interest in deliberately putting people of different styles against each other. Interestingly a lot of styles have dropped out and it seems that a lot of competitors currently use Mixed Martials Arts. Having said that, the odds of a martial artist having to fight a determined skilled opponent are quite small.

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    Oh nonsense. Your art of Ruu-naa-wai doesn't come close to the famed art of Ni-ke-do. (Though I understand many Americans claim Glock-fu to be superior).
    My particular favourite is the one-block/two-block style.

You run one block, if the person chasing you is still there run another two blocks....

Quote Originally Posted by Ste
    I quite like watching cage fighting and K1 etc.

There are really two problems with questions like this.

1) If you could somehow test this the person who'd come out on top would almost certainly be a nobody. There are a lot of people in the world. There are a lot of people in the world who fight a lot and/or are very good at it. There are not that many who compete in internationally recognised competitions.

2) Format matters. Royce Gracie wouldn't last long in a K-1 bout. Lennix Lewis would be toast in a submission grappling competition. Even the "no holds barred" formats have lists of rules that effect the way the game is played as long as my arm.*

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost
    While I agree, there is a second level to it. A lot of "self defence" is taught by people who've never been in a fight .
    The most effective form of self defence by a country mile is.....

....having good social skills. That lacks a certain glamour and doesn't do a very good job of selling martial arts, but it's 100% truth. Most fights are caused because one or both (or more) parties are acting like d!cks and escalating things unnecessarily.

How many people were involved in a fight in the UK last year? Now do some maths and tell me how many weren't. I'd say the people who weren't probably have a better understanding of real self defense than the rest

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost
    Originally there was a lot of interest in deliberately putting people of different styles against each other. Interestingly a lot of styles have dropped out and it seems that a lot of competitors currently use Mixed Martials Arts.
    I'd go as far as to say that since everyone now trains the same tactics and techniques in more-ore-less the same way, MMA has become a single style all to itself.

*My particular favourite being "no throwing your opponent over the cage". The thing's something like 8 feet tall! Who the hell set a precedent that made that into a rule?!

I've occasionally flicked onto UFC on Bravo and I find it all a bit barbaric really. If it was between 2 animals it would have surely been banned a long time ago. The bout I watched had one guy with a head injury that was bleeding everywhere (and I mean everywhere, it was all over the floor, himself, the other fighter, he must have lost 1/2 a litre or so). Not nice at all

Got to say getting back to your point.

The best fighter in this present day has to be Randy Couture. He has held titles a different weights and is still heavyweight champion.

He runs his own centre extreme couture and is and will always be a legend.

As you said earlier you dont wear a shell suit and have a pit bull ,neither do I .

Ihave always just liked and been involved in martial arts.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NZ Monkey View Post

....having good social skills. That lacks a certain glamour and doesn't do a very good job of selling martial arts, but it's 100% truth. Most fights are caused because one or both (or more) parties are acting like d!cks and escalating things unnecessarily.
    nicely put

My particular favourite is the one-block/two-block style.

You run one block, if the person chasing you is still there run another two blocks....
    Part of the Nike defence yes?

....having good social skills.
    The best way to "see the spirit of violence and remove it before it takes shape", or at least be somewhere else by the time it manifests.

*My particular favourite being "no throwing your opponent over the cage". The thing's something like 8 feet tall! Who the hell set a precedent that made that into a rule?!

I like "no fish-hooking" - insanely high trained guys and they resort to 5 year old tactics (very effective tactics admittedly....)

You might want to look at the Dog Brothers website. (I wouldn't recommend this to anyone else though)

Cage fighting is really more duelling. There's a specific space, garb, rules, ettiquette, an agreed ending / surrender terms and so forth.

So as NZ Monkey points out someone who does well there isn't necessarliy going to do well in a different set-up, which is probably why MMA has become the style of choice - it's very effective under those conditions.

"Which is the ultimate martial art?" has been around for centuries and probably won't be answered anytime soon (unless you do Tai Chi )

Ramon Dekker is pretty handy in a fight - point him at his opponent and watch him go...

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by andystyle View Post
    Ramon Dekker is pretty handy in a fight - point him at his opponent and watch him go...
    Dekker ? Him out of Bladerunner ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Dekker ? Him out of Bladerunner ?
    I was thinking the Thai boxer variety...

I would be interested to see Hulk Hogan in a UFC contest.

In regard to the comments about avoiding street fighting, I find that my Scouse sense of humour usually gets me out of trouble.

Thread Information