View Poll Results: Should we change the clocks?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm Scottish - I think we should change the clocks

2 13.33%
  • I'm Scottish - I think we should stay on BST

1 6.67%
  • I'm English - I think we should change the clocks

2 13.33%
  • I'm English - I think we should stay on BST

9 60.00%
  • I'm Welsh - nobody cares what I think

1 6.67%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should we keep on changing the clocks?

Rosyth, just over the bridge from Edinburgh

Re: Should we keep on changing the clocks?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post

Best. Windup. Ever.
    Wouldn't recommend that wind up in some pubs in Norn Irn.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Keefy View Post
    it is only minority pressure groups like the Scots and the farmers who seem to hold enough sway to inflict this on the rest of us.

Sure, it stays dark longer in Scotland - so what? you're devolved, if you want your own quaint little time zone then fine by me, but please don't feel that you have the right to inflict it on the rest of us.
    So the opinion of a whole country is considered a minority group?....Yes we are devolved,in that we have our own assembly that has a certain amount of decision making power, but we are still part of the UK and as such governed by Westminster. Personally I hope it stays that way. I am also in favour of the time changes, mainly because there has been a lot of research into the increase of accidents, - not just involving schoolchildren - if the clocks don't get changed. The clock changes weren't "inflicted"by Scotland, they were "inflicted" by a BRITISH government. Posts like yours go a long way to explaining why there is a certain amount of anti English feeling north of Hadrian's wall

Quote Originally Posted by Dance Demon View Post
    Posts like yours go a long way to explaining why there is a certain amount of anti English feeling north of Hadrian's wall
    With my tongue still very firmly in my cheek I'll claim that Hadrian had the right idea Polls consistently show around 2 out of 3 people would prefer the lighter evenings, there is even growing support for CET which would put us an hour ahead of where we are now. I've never seen any research that shows a significant overall increase in accident rates, sure, you may move them about a bit but to claim the "safety" angle is a bit much.

There are very strong environmental reasons to stay on BST, it was last tried during the three day week IIRC as a power saving measure. Staying on BST or even moving to CET would result in significant carbon output reductions which is very much the in thing at the moment.

With regards to what daylight zone we are on in England then yes, I do consider the Scots a minority group. I'm not trying to tell Scotland what time zone they should be on, far from it, I think it should be up to the Scots to decide. It's about time that the debate was had again with the Scots giving the English that same respect

Commercial Operator

With my tongue still very firmly in my cheek I'll claim that Hadrian had the right idea
    The wall was agrea Idea...pity it didn't stop the people from south of it drifting north.....( tongue in cheek of course)...

I'm sure ROSPA issued figures about accident increases on darker mornings. Certainly from a personal point of view, as a LGV driver who starts work early, longer hours of darkness cause added problems and stresses. It would also mean that almost half of my working hours are spent in hours of darkness. There are lots of other industries that are adversely affected by longer darkness hours in the morning e.g. the construction industry.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AllanMcC View Post
    Wouldn't recommend that wind up in some pubs in Norn Irn.
    Thanks for the tip, I won't pack my Union Jack T-shirt for my next trip to CoalIsland then.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dance Demon View Post
    Posts like yours go a long way to explaining why there is a certain amount of anti English feeling north of Hadrian's wall
    Posts like yours go a long way to explaining why the Scottish aren't known for their sense of humour.

Blog Entries

I'm not trying to tell Scotland what time zone they should be on, far from it, I think it should be up to the Scots to decide. It's about time that the debate was had again with the Scots giving the English that same respect
    Realistically, it'd be nuts to change the Scottish time zone and not the English (or vice versa) - it'd be as dumb as the Irish Republic deciding to drive on the right or something.

Realistically, it'd be nuts to change the Scottish time zone and not the English (or vice versa) - it'd be as dumb as the Irish Republic deciding to drive on the right or something.
    Why? There are very good environmental, business, preference reasons for England to remain on BST or even to move to CET. If Scottish people feel that those reasons do not apply to them then we should respect that and not force any change upon them.

Blog Entries

Why?
    Because you'd force commuters and casual travellers to change their watches, you'd have to have signs all over the place, and God knows there are enough flippin' official signs around already.

People would forget, they'd make mistakes, and it'd be a massive inconvenience - missed meetings, loss of business, tourism, etc.

Hold on - is this another windup? I'm so gullible...

Because you'd force commuters and casual travellers to change their watches, you'd have to have signs all over the place, and God knows there are enough flippin' official signs around already.

People would forget, they'd make mistakes, and it'd be a massive inconvenience - missed meetings, loss of business, tourism, etc.
    You have just made a very good case for England moving to CET

If you want even more daylight in the evening, why not move the clock 3 hours forward?
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Oooh, the pain of changing my watch an hour, that would take all of five seconds?
    Come on it wouldnt be that bad. Spain and Portugal get on ok dont they?

Hold on - is this another windup? I'm so gullible...
    Or was your post a wind-up

Commercial Operator

We should move to CET if only so that we can enjoy the outrage of the europhobes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jhutch View Post
    Oooh, the pain of changing my watch an hour, that would take all of five seconds?
    If you had to do it twice a day, I reckon you'd get a bit hacked-off pretty quickly. Or should we ban people from commuting between Scotland and England now?

Come on it wouldnt be that bad. Spain and Portugal get on ok dont they?
    Apart from hating each other's guts? Yes, they get on just fine.

Or was your post a wind-up
    Safest to always assume my posts are wind-ups

Quote Originally Posted by whitetiger1518 View Post
    How about instead of dividing Summertime adjustments being made around the lines of longtitude - why not make them at the lines of latitude? Would that work?

If it does then what I was thinking was that the Equator at 0 would have a day that was symmetrical about midday, without adjustment (which it does anyway) and every 10 degrees north or south would adjust by an hour...

Any comments? (Dodges to avoid tomatoes)
    Unfortunately, that would probably double (at least) the number of time changes, and cause correspondingly as many complaints.

I think the best option (for real people) is to revert to natural time. Imagine if your employment contract said you work from 2 hours after sunrise to 1 hour before sunset (rounded to nearest hour). In summer you work longer hours; in winter you work shorter hours --- but that's what the whole ecological system does, so we would be working in harmony with nature...
    A Scot who hates to get up in pitch black in winter (and suffers from mild SAD around the shortest day), and who prefers her evenings as light as possible (and hence works 8 - 4 all year round) for anyone not in the know.

Whitetiger
    PS the only other option that I can see is that I spend half my year in Scotland and half in New Zealand (mmmm must look into this...)
    If your choices are really only Scotland and New Zealand, then perhaps suicide is something to think about. Why not stop halfway, in Sydney?
    Last edited by timbp; 5th-October-2007 at 09:24 AM.

Thread Information