View Poll Results: Should we change the clocks?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm Scottish - I think we should change the clocks

2 13.33%
  • I'm Scottish - I think we should stay on BST

1 6.67%
  • I'm English - I think we should change the clocks

2 13.33%
  • I'm English - I think we should stay on BST

9 60.00%
  • I'm Welsh - nobody cares what I think

1 6.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should we keep on changing the clocks?

Should we keep on changing the clocks?

Once again we are approaching that twice yearly ritual of changing the clocks, once again we will be plunged into six months of long dark evenings until sanity returns in March next year. There is no real reason for it, there was a period some years back when it was abandoned as a power saving measure, most people prefer the lighter evenings. In these new environmentally aware days there is even more reason to stop mucking about with the clocks, it is only minority pressure groups like the Scots and the farmers who seem to hold enough sway to inflict this on the rest of us.

"Poor little children going to school in the dark" they will wail - well the perfectly adequate street lighting doesn't seem to hinder the little darlings going out in the evening so why should it hinder them getting to school? From the state of the roads at school time the majority seem to be driven to school anyway. Sure, it stays dark longer in Scotland - so what? you're devolved, if you want your own quaint little time zone then fine by me, but please don't feel that you have the right to inflict it on the rest of us. A simple answer for the farmers - get up an hour later, work an hour later, the clock is irrelevant.

Poll time, I suspect this one is going to split along geographical lines

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Re: Should we keep on changing the clocks?

It means we get an extra hour at Blaze II
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerbabe View Post
    It means we get an extra hour at Blaze II
    You've just found the only good reason I've ever come across After my comments I suspect you'll be getting the wicker man ready for me anyway, is that why it's called Blaze?

Commercial Operator

Thos of us old enough to remember will know that it was tried. I was a schoolchild when they experimented the last time. I remember having to go to school wearing flourescent orange armbands. Thank goodness I wasn't ginger!

The experiment wasn't a success. Although I can't remember why. Maybe a few more children were killed on the roads. And I think farmers didn't like it. At the time I wondered why we didn't just change the times we did things rather than change the clocks - I suppose I liked the idea of starting school at 10am.

Quote Originally Posted by Keefy View Post
    Once again we are approaching that twice yearly ritual of changing the clocks,
    I woke up soon after sunrise yesterday, looked at my clock, and wished (as I have in many years) that the time change would be end of September (or even beginning of September -- the best thing about the Sydney Olympics was daylight saving starting beginning of September).
    Or, I will accept a compromise, October Long Weekend (current legislation in NSW parliament).

So when I read the title of this thread I braced myself for argument. Only to find you appear to want the same as I do -- summer time all year round!

I am confused. You seem to say everyone will argue about going from summer time (I am assuming you are in Northern Hemisphere) to standard time, and will complain about "children going to school in the dark".

But here (NSW), the arguments are always opposite. The farmers want to keep standard time, and the "children" argument (rarely used) is about them coming home in the dark.

If we're both right, then people in both hemispheres do not agree that midday should symmetrically divide the day.
    So maybe we need to think about different systems.

I would be happy with a system in which I worked from 90 minutes after sunrise to 90 minutes before sunset. that would mean I work a lot hours more in summer than in winter, but the yearly work would be the same. Does anyone have an employer who might consider such a contract? I don't know one.

I like to work early, and have the afternoon and evening free. I generally try to work 8 to 4, but those hours are chosen mainly on what employers will accept. Although many employers will accept starting at 7am, most object if you leave at 3pm, even when they know you are always there at 7am.

NO

I could not find a spot for me on the poll...

I am English, living in Australia, and the clock changing sucks, often I find out 1 or 2 days later, and in the past was either early or late for work.

I also went to Tesco's on a Sunday at Horsham UK, 3:30, and found out they were closed.... they told me it was actually 4:30 They closed at 4 pm.

At times of the year there is a time difference of 9 hours . and other times 11 hours between Sydney and UK (the way I work it out anyway - plus 9 hours and also make day into night - just my personal maffs stuff)

I have now moved to Queensland and they do not change the clocks here, they do in Sydney, so for 6 months we are on the same time, for the other 6 months we are 1 hour out... go figure...

Now I have to work out, from Queensland, whose clocks do not change (maybe they do not have school-children here...) what time it is in the Uk and when those dam clocks change.

Thing is I do not listen to the news or read newspapers, as I worked out early in life, most reported news is bad news, and why surround myself with bad?

I'm Scottish and think we should stick with GMT all year round.

We are all in the GMT time zone - why should we try to live an hour ahead of ourselves?
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

I'm English and I think we should follow GMT all year. Apparently, we have to secede from the EU to accomplish this.

*Burns EU flag, because of its clock-face design*

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looking on Wikipedia, I found that the summer time thing is used by several countries:

• Canary Islands
    • Faroe Islands
    • north-eastern Greenland
    • Republic of Ireland
    • Crown dependencies
    • Madeira islands
    • continental Portugal
    • United Kingdom

... I wonder what happens in the rest of Greenland?

Don't the guys/gals from Northern Ireland get to express their opinion?? (Don't want to forget them now do we - or was this a deliberate choice? )

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    At times of the year there is a time difference of 9 hours . and other times 11 hours between Sydney and UK (the way I work it out anyway - plus 9 hours and also make day into night - just my personal maffs stuff)
    Can I recomend Time Zone Converter as a useful aid trying to ring friends/rellies around the world.

I have now moved to Queensland and they do not change the clocks here, they do in Sydney, so for 6 months we are on the same time, for the other 6 months we are 1 hour out... go figure...

Now I have to work out, from Queensland, whose clocks do not change (maybe they do not have school-children here...) what time it is in the Uk and when those dam clocks change.
    I miss having Summer Time / Daylight Saving time - it's a real pain when it gets dark here not long after you get home from work, even in the middle of summer. I'm really envious of all those lucky people living in the Far North of Scotland; the lovely long summer evenings when you can come home from work, eat your tea, and it still stays light for ages so you have plenty of time for a long walk on Nairn beach before heading to the pub.

(PS Martin - think that now Peter Beattie has gone, Daylight Saving in SE Queensland might happen next summer. I'll maybe see you at Broadbeach on Sat night?)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Looking on Wikipedia, I found that the summer time thing is used by several countries:
    • Canary Islands
    • Faroe Islands
    • Republic of Ireland
    • Crown dependencies
    • Madeira islands
    • continental Portugal
    • United Kingdom
    I suppose that the rest of greenland is in a different time zone being further west so they are one hour behind, two hours behind, etc?

You mean BST in the above i guess? Most of europe has summer time (CEST) for instance so they are always an hour ahead?

What do people think about being two hours ahead in summer? Certainly down here the relatively cool mornings and later sunrise would be an advantage. Longer evenings too especially good in late summer/early autumn. Or maybe we could all change our work schedules

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    • Canary Islands
    • Faroe Islands
    • Republic of Ireland
    • Crown dependencies
    • Madeira islands
    • continental Portugal
    • United Kingdom
    Daylight saving is used across all of Europe and most of North America:

Blue is where DST is used, orange where it is no longer used and red where it has never been used.

Personally, I think it works for the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    NO

I could not find a spot for me on the poll...

I am English, living in Australia, and the clock changing sucks, often I find out 1 or 2 days later, and in the past was either early or late for work.

I also went to Tesco's on a Sunday at Horsham UK, 3:30, and found out they were closed.... they told me it was actually 4:30 They closed at 4 pm.

Thing is I do not listen to the news or read newspapers, as I worked out early in life, most reported news is bad news, and why surround myself with bad?
    Its the least of your worries moving to Qld Martin!!! Did you know the longer you are in Qld the more the intelligence factor declines. Happens to the best of them. Queenslanders are like hillbillies in the southern states of america. Happened to my father after I realised dementia wasnt the problem with him!
    Anyway, the time differences will be 10 hours in Brisbane to the UK (GMT standard) until March 08 but 11hrs difference in Sydney.
    Hope you are enjoying the heat without the humidity of Sydney.

I think it should either stay the way it is - or as an alternative can I suggest something completely (that will either work completely and solve everything or be complete nonsense)

How about instead of dividing Summertime adjustments being made around the lines of longtitude - why not make them at the lines of latitude? Would that work?

If it does then what I was thinking was that the Equator at 0 would have a day that was symmetrical about midday, without adjustment (which it does anyway) and every 10 degrees north or south would adjust by an hour...

Any comments? (Dodges to avoid tomatoes)

A Scot who hates to get up in pitch black in winter (and suffers from mild SAD around the shortest day), and who prefers her evenings as light as possible (and hence works 8 - 4 all year round) for anyone not in the know.

Whitetiger

PS the only other option that I can see is that I spend half my year in Scotland and half in New Zealand (mmmm must look into this...)

I actually like the changing of the clocks. It's part of the rhythm of the year to me, even if it is man-made rather than natural. And I particularly love that extra hour in bed in autumn... luckily I'll be in Aberdeen for it this time

Quote Originally Posted by whitetiger1518 View Post
    I think it should either stay the way it is - or as an alternative can I suggest something completely (that will either work completely and solve everything or be complete nonsense)

How about instead of dividing Summertime adjustments being made around the lines of longtitude - why not make them at the lines of latitude? Would that work?

If it does then what I was thinking was that the Equator at 0 would have a day that was symmetrical about midday, without adjustment (which it does anyway) and every 10 degrees north or south would adjust by an hour...

Any comments? (Dodges to avoid tomatoes)
    This idea falls down once you get too far from the equator. What's the point of summer time if you are north of the Artic circle, and you've got 24 daylight?

Summer time is less useful in N Scotland than say London; when it stays light until past 10ish in the evening, having summer time is less use.

PS the only other option that I can see is that I spend half my year in Scotland and half in New Zealand (mmmm must look into this...)
    Not sure about living in New Zealand; judging by the numbers of Kiwis in Australia, there are better places to live. I'm sure that it shouldn't be too hard to get some of the Aussie natives reading this to start making comments about sheep etc, (& if Mezzosoprano is reading this, I'll know that she'll have difficulty chosing between Bonnie Scotland & Down Under). However you do realise that an Aussie winter can be warmer than a Scottish summer; and no midges either!

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

I would comment but as i am northern irish and some people (in the poll) dont think my opinion matters!

Quote Originally Posted by drathzel View Post
    I would comment but as i am northern irish and some people (in the poll) dont think my opinion matters!
    Sorry We'll count you as English

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

No you blooming well wont! We're not english, We're not Irish! We have our own country which makes us Northern Irish!

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Best. Windup. Ever.

Thread Information