I've never done any formal ballroom or dance training, but was brought up on the customary disco diet. Apparently I had rubber legs and a reasonable wiggle.

Unusually, I had evolved a form of jive (inherited from time spent in Southern Africa) which involved a lot of yanking and laboured spinning. I bumped into a senior member of this forum (who shall remain unidentified) who suggested - very kindly - that ceroc lessons were available in my locale, and that I might benefit. So I went along, and enjoyed myself so thoroughly that I can't get away from it.

The big plus is that I no longer yank my partner around like a sack of new potatoes (well, not all the time, anyway). The downside is that I still, a couple of years down the line, gaze upon my 'mentor' with awe and admiration, and descend rapidly into suicidal mode.

But my abiding memory at my first evening was the owlish expression from the lady at the door, and the strict admonition that "this is not a pulling club". Well, I almost gave up on the spot....