• Fri – Ashtons - Cricklewood

5 11.90%
  • Fri – Hipsters – Ealing

1 2.38%
  • Fri - Friday Fever - Portsmouth

1 2.38%
  • Fri - The Autumn Ball - JiveVibe, Peterborough

2 4.76%
  • Fri - Pulse Freestyle - Bullwell (Notts)

1 2.38%
  • Fri - Strictly Ceroc Freestyle – Coventry

1 2.38%
  • Sat - Party Night – Greenwich

3 7.14%
  • Sat- LeRoc Surrey -Tylney Hall Leatherhead

1 2.38%
  • Sat - Ceroc Central Freestyle - Nottingham

1 2.38%
  • Sat - Ceroc Party – Dundee

11 26.19%
  • Sat - Freestyle – Northwich

1 2.38%
  • Sun - The Boat - The Thames

3 7.14%
  • Weekend - Boogie by the Bay - San Francisco

1 2.38%
  • Weekend - Brit Rock – Brighton

8 19.05%
  • Other - state below

5 11.90%
  • Sat - Berko - Freestyle

1 2.38%
  • Sun - Berko - normal Sunday night

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Weekend 5th - 7th October '07

Re: Weekend 5th - 7th October '07

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    They say I laugh a lot!!

Well, i dont normally but you'd have to say that this spat between you two is hilarious. I told a couple of people about this yesterday and they both cracked up!

Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Ah, but you're assuming that I admire people with high rep scores, that's not what I said.

I know that the forumites I really admire are, with a few exceptions, the ones who don't spend all their time grouping, cliqueing, bitching, gossiping and so on.

And I suspect they're the ones most others admire also, looking at prima facie evidence like their rep scores.
    I'm also curious what you mean by this? How can one determine who is admired by looking at rep scores when, in your words, the scores are "meaningless".
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    I'm also curious what you mean by this? How can one determine who is admired by looking at rep scores when, in your words, the scores are "meaningless".
    What, you want consistency?

Errr.... Rep measures admiration - it's subjective, of course. It has no real relationship to "worth" in any objective sense, of course, so it's meaningless from that point of view.

How's that?

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

As you are ignoring me DJ, does that mean I won't be getting a christmas card?

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra Woman View Post
    Berko last night was absolutely fantastic - no other word for it.

I quite agree, with the floor fixed again (don't know what they had been 'polishing' the floor with for the previous few weeks, some kind of glue?) and great music in both rooms it was a great night. And Jilly provides the best tea and cakes of anywhere I've been

Shame you couldn't make it last night too, with Marc on good form playing quite a few tracks I hadn't heard before and Tiger playing more of the music we love too; it was great, shame it ends so early though.

The other place I went was Ashtons on Friday, what a contrast! Until midnight it was all fast fast and faster. AND most of the tracks were cross-faded. Exactly when are you supposed to end the dance if you're doing partner dancing? You don't always know the track has ended until you're already dancing to the next one. I was quite underwhelmed. And I'd brought a good (non-forumite) friend and told her it would be good. At least it improved later and in the end was still a fun night. Verdict: Could do so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Darcy View Post
    I quite agree, with the floor fixed again (don't know what they had been 'polishing' the floor with for the previous few weeks, some kind of glue?) and great music in both rooms it was a great night. And Jilly provides the best tea and cakes of anywhere I've been
    Yes the blues room floor was lovely and smooth.

Shame you couldn't make it last night too, with Marc on good form playing quite a few tracks I hadn't heard before and Tiger playing more of the music we love too; it was great, shame it ends so early though.
    Sad I missed that, I'm afraid I had to drink a quarter of a bottle of cough mixture to get to sleep after Saturday night, so I was all washed out on Sunday.

What, you want consistency?

Errr.... Rep measures admiration - it's subjective, of course. It has no real relationship to "worth" in any objective sense, of course, so it's meaningless from that point of view.

How's that?
    Well it's nice to know we are at least admired, even if we are worthless....

When (if!) my rep reaches 3,000, will this mean I have to leave the herd for good?

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

I, for one, am full of admiration for you for busking in the glorious Dundee sunshine on Saturday afternoon, and then managing to stay (almost ) to the end of the party on Saturday night.
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerbabe View Post
    I, for one, am full of admiration for you for busking in the glorious Dundee sunshine on Saturday afternoon, and then managing to stay (almost ) to the end of the party on Saturday night.
    And I admire Freudian Hips for busking twice the length of time as me, and dancing at least twice as much as me at the party later. (We would probably have stayed until the end, if it wasn't for a stopped watch. )

Wonder why she has less rep than me as she is doubtless more admired.

When (if!) my rep reaches 3,000, will this mean I have to leave the herd for good?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Darcy View Post

The other place I went was Ashtons on Friday, what a contrast! Until midnight it was all fast fast and faster. AND most of the tracks were cross-faded. Exactly when are you supposed to end the dance if you're doing partner dancing? You don't always know the track has ended until you're already dancing to the next one. I was quite underwhelmed. And I'd brought a good (non-forumite) friend and told her it would be good. At least it improved later and in the end was still a fun night. Verdict: Could do so much better.

Thank you Mr Darcy for your kind words. We appreciate them. Both nights turned out to be fab: and thats great. I'm glad many of you felt the same way.

On another note I thought that both sets at Ashtons were exceptional as yes, there was a lot of faster stuff early on but they were also intermingled with lots of nice slower tunes too as the evening progressed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tiger View Post
    On another note I thought that both sets at Ashtons were exceptional as yes, there was a lot of faster stuff early on but they were also intermingled with lots of nice slower tunes too as the evening progressed.

However, I agree with a previous poster that the "segues" between tracks were a bit pants - I much prefer a song to actually end, so I can mess up my dramatic finishes properly.

Also, I'm not sure about this policy of putting the DJ miles up on the balcony, so we can't see or chat with them. Are they afraid we'll chuck rotten fruit at them or something?

Also, I'm not sure about this policy of putting the DJ miles up on the balcony, so we can't see or chat with them. Are they afraid we'll chuck rotten fruit at them or something?

Maybe they were trying to avoid the herd

However, I agree with a previous poster that the "segues" between tracks were a bit pants - I much prefer a song to actually end, so I can mess up my dramatic finishes properly.

Understood, but FWIW, i think a lot of tunes that dont have good endings ie: they just fade out naturally, but sometimes that fade is a bit too long to leave it until the end and hence the next tune (if it has a 'soft' rather than dramatic start) being faded in.
    Last edited by David Bailey; 9th-October-2007 at 11:25 AM. Reason: quotes

Blog Entries

Understood, but FWIW, i think a lot of tunes that dont have good endings ie: they just fade out naturally, but sometimes that fade is a bit too long to leave it until the end and hence the next tune (if it has a 'soft' rather than dramatic start) being faded in.
    Yeah, but this was happening all the time, it seemed - much more than normal, at least.

Maybe they were trying to avoid the herd
    Surely DJs should be herd but not seen? (unless they're the good looking female ones - even then a balcony position can bring certain compensations )

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    Surely DJs should be herd but not seen? (unless they're the good looking female ones - even then a balcony position can bring certain compensations )

Maybe heard yes,but herd no

Yeah, but this was happening all the time, it seemed - much more than normal, at least.

Can't say i really noticed any 'bad ones' but then the overall ambiance of the night was too good for me to really have taken much notice.

The only thing i didnt like was the flashing laser type lights that caused the floor to have a big gap of dancers where they lit as it was obviously uncomfortable to dance where they shone. These lights need to be pointed away from the floor so they spread light around the room in a less severe way.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    As you are ignoring me DJ, does that mean I won't be getting a christmas card?
    What was that?

Sorry, I wasn't paying attention, I was waiting for a post from someone I admired...

Hmmm, that reminds me of an old thread somewhere...

Thread Information