Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amir Giles - 8th Nov.

Commercial Operator

Amir Giles - 8th Nov.

Amir Giles in Edinburgh
    Saturday 8th November

A fantastic modern jive workshop and party covering style, new moves, technique and musicality.

Amir Giles is a top dancer and instructor from New Zealand. He is based in London, and recently returned from the Canary Islands from a dance production. He is an outstanding dancer and very experienced teacher, having taught for Ceroc Dance New Zealand, Graciela Tango Productions and Fusion Dance Works. In 1999 he won first prize the Open Advanced Section in the Australasian Ceroc Championships. Amir will be giving away some top tips for performance and competitions. Rated as one of the top dancers in the UK, this event is not to be missed!

Groovy discount for applications received before 10th October - whole event only £15!

Venue: Marco's Leisure Centre. Grove Street, Edinburgh.
    Workshop: 10am-4pm
    Party: 8pm-1am

To book, print out the application form here

There is also a unique opportunity for couples to have PRIVATE DANCE TUITION on the Sunday. Places are limited for this, and will be allocated on a first come, first served basis. Please contact BoogieNights if interested.

I am a big fan of Amir's workshops. Have booked for another one in a couple of weeks here in London.

If you have the chance in Scotland - don't miss it.

M

Re: Amir Giles - 8th Nov.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lindsay
    Amir Giles in Edinburgh
    A fantastic modern jive workshop and party covering style, new moves, technique and musicality.

Discount for applications received before 10th October - whole event only £15

SOLD !
    I heard he was a terrific dancer as well, but never seen him in action. Will look forward to this.

What is the schedule for the private classes on Sunday ?

TT x

Re: Re: Amir Giles - 8th Nov.

Originally posted by Twinkle Toes
    What is the schedule for the private classes on Sunday ?
    perhaps someone should warn amir...

grant

Commercial Operator
    We've booked 4 slots (4x1hr) on Sun., and it'll be around £50-60 per couple, so £25-30 each (that's Amir's fee plus venue cost). Price tbc.

E-mail BoogieNights if interested.... 2 couples provisionally booked already.....

Blog Entries
    Amir is a fantastic dancer and coach. I really recommend his private lessons - Amir is the genius who taught me (after over five years of ceroc and resigning myself that I'd never do multiple spins) to do doubles and even triple spins (and now on a good day I can get more than three with the right conditions).

Originally posted by Lindsay
    We've booked 4 slots (4x1hr) on Sun., and it'll be around £50-60 per couple, so £25-30 each (that's Amir's fee plus venue cost). Price tbc. E-mail BoogieNights if interested.... 2 couples provisionally booked already.....
    Wow! Fab! That's a lot cheaper than your original quote to me, Linsay! Well done! And good organisation too - obviously getting the hall for a block booking like that helps . . .

At that price I'm certainly interested (it's about what I paid Amir for private coaching in London). But as there's only four places I'm happy to let someone else get a shot this time, especially as I'm not really involved in the Edinburgh ceroc scene...
    :sorry
    Originally posted by Divissima Amir is a fantastic dancer and coach. I really recommend his private lessons - Amir is the genius who taught me (after over five years of ceroc and resigning myself that I'd never do multiple spins) to do doubles and even triple spins (and now on a good day I can get more than three with the right conditions).
    I'd love to second this. He is not only a superb dancer but he really knows how to coach (a lot of top dancers don't have much of a clue IMO - sorry).

On spinning, as Divissima says, yeah - far more than your standard (however valid) quarter-turns-learn-to-'face' stuff. One of his style classes went through learning to spin using different parts of your body, finding the way that's best for you (bear in mind he has official recognition in ballet, ceroc and a number of other 'unconnected' styles - not surprising he teaches you how to dance using your body as an instrument rather than following a set of someone else's ideas - least that's how it seems to me)

Whilst he's NZ qualified as far as Ceroc is concered I think his dancing goes well beyond standard NZ Ceroc. Those of you who like a bit of tango styling for instance, drop everything and book up now!

(No doubt my cheque's in the post eh Lindsay? Shame my deliveries are so unreliable . . . )
    Last edited by Chris; 11th-September-2003 at 03:04 PM.

getting the most from private lessons

Whilst this might be telling some people how to suck eggs, please bear with me (or if you have more experienced advice join in) - going for your first private lesson it's easy to come away thinking you could have got more out it if you'd planned it better.

A good teacher will probably ask the right questions and tailor it to you anyway, but it saves time and helps both you and the teacher (I think) if you make a sort of check list first.

What do I want to get out of this session?
    Am I wanting to improve for competitions?
    Am I wanting to improve with this particular partner?
    Am I wanting new moves? (If so, maybe think of some moves you like already as an example of the type of thing you like - or a category - drops / sexy moves / closed moves / ways to get out of/into a particular type of move)
    Do I want to improve my lead and follow? My timing?
    Do I want to expand my improvisation skills?
    Am I wanting to add style to my existing moves?
    Am I wanting to learn how to do my existing moves better?
    Do I want to concentrate on things like posture, spinning, dancing to different speeds of music?
    Do I want someone to find and correct my mistakes?
    Do I want to make my dancing 'sparkle' more?

Once you've booked a class, maybe run your ideas past Amir (or whoever you've booked a private lesson with) in advance even. If you answered 'yes' to several of the above questions, think about how you want to divide the time up (or discuss this in advance with the teacher). You could also just do a short dance for your teacher and then say 'what do you think I most need to concentrate on?' (but things like are you learning with a regular partner or do you want to improve specifically for competition are still questions that can be answered best by you.)

Hope this helps

Enjoy

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: getting the most from private lessons

Originally posted by Chris

A good teacher will probably ask the right questions and tailor it to you anyway, but it saves time and helps both you and the teacher (I think) if you make a sort of check list first.

Would there be much point ? Surely if you book someone for personal tuition you are expecting them to point out areas of improvement ? Your own opinion can quite feasibly be way off the mark surely ? Mentioning if you want to just generally improve or improve for competitions would be about the limit i would have thought!

Re: Re: getting the most from private lessons

Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
    Would there be much point ? Surely if you book someone for personal tuition you are expecting them to point out areas of improvement ? Your own opinion can quite feasibly be way off the mark surely ? Mentioning if you want to just generally improve or improve for competitions would be about the limit i would have thought!
    I think Chris has a valid point - each teacher/coach has his/her own strengths and tendencies (after all, nobody is perfect!) and unless you have a clear idea of what you specifically want, you'll get their interpretation/passion. I think there are many different aspects of dance that can be improved/coached/taught. Taking the time to consider what might be the best aspect to take from each separate coach is invaluable. From classical ballet experience, there are some coaches that I would ONLY go to for style/technique/stagecraft etc.....surely this must be the case with other types of dance, including Ceroc?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: Re: Re: getting the most from private lessons

Originally posted by Aleks
    I think Chris has a valid point - each teacher/coach has his/her own strengths and tendencies (after all, nobody is perfect!) and unless you have a clear idea of what you specifically want, you'll get their interpretation/passion. I think there are many different aspects of dance that can be improved/coached/taught. Taking the time to consider what might be the best aspect to take from each separate coach is invaluable. From classical ballet experience, there are some coaches that I would ONLY go to for style/technique/stagecraft etc.....surely this must be the case with other types of dance, including Ceroc?
    but that works on the assumption that you know what you're talking about - as a trained dancer you do, but a lot of us social dancers or intermediates trying to get better are not going to be able to make a good decision on that sort of thing. So maybe a bit of 50/50 would make more sense; you say what you think you need to improve on to an teacher and they respond with their opinion. Its your decision at the end of the day... but really, would you want a teacher who did exactly what you said even though they thought you were trying to improve things you didnt need to improve, or trying to reach for a style that would not suit your strengths as a dancer ?

i think that regardless of who decides what you do in the lesson it is always going to be constrained by the fact that it is a one-off. you would really need an ongoing relationship with a teacher to get the most benefit from each individual lesson.

grant

Re: Re: getting the most from private lessons

I think this sounds a bit like going to a hairdresser and saying "just make it look great". The hairdresser needs some input to know where to start.

I think the checklist is a brilliant idea, which I am about to note down right now. A teacher, I would have thought, would point out your strengths and weaknesses. If not, then perhaps this should be on your checklist.

M

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: Re: Re: getting the most from private lessons

Originally posted by Mary
    A teacher, I would have thought, would point out your strengths and weaknesses.
    Thats the point i was making, the teacher should point this out, so you making a list to tell them what to help you with is not always going to be a good idea- the teacher may feel obligded to not mention their opinion then and teach you what you think you need to improve .

A hairstyle is not the best analogy, unless you're model or an actor in which case your hairdresser would decide what to do with your hair in most cases.

How many people do you see with awful hairstyles ? you can bet its not always the hairdressers fault, sometimes people just dont know whats best for them, same goes for dancing

Re: Re: Re: Re: getting the most from private lessons

but that works on the assumption that you know what you're talking about - as a trained dancer you do, but a lot of us social dancers or intermediates trying to get better are not going to be able to make a good decision on that sort of thing. So maybe a bit of 50/50 would make more sense; you say what you think you need to improve on to an teacher and they respond with their opinion. Its your decision at the end of the day... but really, would you want a teacher who did exactly what you said even though they thought you were trying to improve things you didnt need to improve, or trying to reach for a style that would not suit your strengths as a dancer ?
    I have no idea which areas I would be best to improve on in terms of MJ and am not sure I want to know. Part of the reason I moved to MJ was the flexibility and absence of any necessity to strive for a particular style/level of dance ability - after all it's all just for fun.

I suppose I was speaking more in relation to the experienced/competition dancer who I expect would be more able to identify which areas they would want to improve on. I would expect any coach I went to to pick out any other areas where they thought I could do with improvement as well (or would think carefully before booking another session), but my preference would be to go with a general goal in mind, knowing the strengths of that particular coach.

I was also assuming that a person would use a coach for private tuition on a relatively regular basis - either one general coach or different coaches for specific needs.

No worries Scathe - if it's not helpful for you that's fair enough. But wouldn't you agree that even things like 'regular partner' are helpful to know? - there's some great semi choreographed stuff for instance you can learn but not much good if you never get the chance to practice with the other person who learn't it! Then there's lots of stuff that can be learnt and taught for freestyling with strangers where your partner hasn't a clue what you did in your private class lol. Everyone to their own. I can only say what I've felt was useful based on private lessons with quite few different teachers, but if it sounds too complicated then I'm sure, a simple 'what do I need to improve?' strength/weaknesses? approach should be fine too

One last point (again, only trying to be helpful, just my view) is when there's two of you, make sure the guy doesn't get all the attention - ladies, be assertive about things to imrpove your dancing! not just fitting in with new stuff for your partner's benefit (unless that's al you want to do!)

The Oracle
    Private lessons can be the best way of improving your dancing. They can also be a very quick way of spending a lot of money, and not getting much out of it. The first thing you should ask is why you are going for a lesson? Then you can decide how to approach the lesson.

They might be worthwhile for 3 types of dancer:
    - serious competitors
    - dancers with a specific problem they want to work on
    - keen dancers who wish to improve as quickly as they can.

A competitor is more interested in how his/her dancing looks, so would probably want the teacher to decide what to work on after seeing them dance. Just don't expect two different teachers to see the same problems.

If you have something particular you want to work on - such as spinning, or leading breaks, or a particular move - then you should obviously tell the teacher at the beginning. This is usually the easiest type lesson for the teacher (assuming he can fix your problem!)

With keen dancers it is more 50/50. You are probably more interested in how things feel that how they look. It helps the teacher if you can pick a broad area to work on, such as musical interpretation. Then show the teacher what you currently do. At most you should expect to learn a new concept or idea, some exercises to develop it, maybe a couple of moves that incorporate it, and some feedback on what you do well, and what you don't.

I'm surprised there is so much interest in private lessons. I've only heard of 3 people in total getting lessons in Modern Jive, and two of those I heard about on this Forum.

Ultimately I don't think they are worth it for the majority of Modern Jivers. Private lessons are most useful for learning technique, and there is not that much technique required for the way that most people are happy to dance. Workshops and regular classes tend to be a lot more fun, and better value for money.

David

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Chris
    No worries Scathe - if it's not helpful for you that's fair enough.
    i didnt say that - i just asked a few questions of it. I think it'd be more a 50/50 thing - you must have some idea what you want to work on and you would expect your teacher to suggest other areas or mention things that you didnt notice yourself. Having never had a persona dance trainer i had never thouht how i would approach it before.

I can only say what I've felt was useful based on private lessons with quite few different teachers, but if it sounds too complicated
    er...not particularly complicated no

i didnt say that - i just asked a few questions of it. I think it'd be more a 50/50 thing - you must have some idea what you want to work on and you would expect your teacher to suggest other areas or mention things that you didnt notice yourself. Having never had a persona dance trainer i had never thouht how i would approach it before. er...not particularly complicated no
    LOL - ok think i see what you say now . . .

Re: Re: Re: Amir Giles - 8th Nov.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Grant
    perhaps someone should warn amir...

grant

Hey, what are you implying you cheeky whipper snapper,
    you know perfectly well, I only tickle my best of friends.

TT x

Thread Information