Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Closure of Ceroc London Forum

Originally posted by Paul F
    level of competition down there?? To many references to other nights?? Or is it simply the case of not having the time to moderate it?
    down there? You mean DOWN HERE buddy; you've not gone yet!!

I think it's the "references" are definitely the main contributing factor, which is a shame.

Px

PS Don't forget the tap .

Originally posted by Dave Hancock
    Don't think (and certainly hope) that the party line as you call it shall never be exerted on to this forum. As far as I'm aware it is totally run by Franck who at times has to defend Ceroc from the odd bit of criticism, but I think he does a marvelous job in allowing all people to make their points and he then takes a lot of them on board. . . . In addition, he allows people to mention alternative nights and dances such as Route 66 and things which Lindsay is organising. Often these nights don't detract from Ceroc but allow the Scottish dancers a chance to enjoy a slightly different style of dance and music as opposed to the regular Ceroc night. Highlighting these nights can actually enhance Ceroc as sometimes people attend these who have never been to Ceroc, see a load of us having a ball and then think about trying Ceroc.

Anyway starting to ramble, but final word is well done Franck and I trust that this forum shall continue to be run along the lines which we've come to know and love
    As someone who can be openly critical , I have to second this! Franck once said to me "you're free to say make posts for or against Ceroc" which got a lot of respect from me.

It's a bit like academic freedom - a good head of department encourages all associated interest as well as reasonable or substantiated criticism of it's own position. That way it enjoys a credibility that more specifically party-line interests don't.

Chris (Docker)

Originally posted by Chris
    [It's a bit like academic freedom - a good head of department encourages all associated interest as well as reasonable or substantiated criticism of it's own position. That way it enjoys a credibility that more specifically party-line interests don't.

Chris (Docker) [/B]
    I couldn’t agree more. My main concern about criticism regarding London’s decision to close its forum (yes, my own are very much included in this...perhaps more so than anybody else’s, Pammy and others seemed to have been aware if this earlier) is the question of ‘informed and substantiated.

The rather tardy manner in which things were done, no prior public announcement (by email for instance) and the token explanation create a situation where it is easy to reach a conclusion based on cynicism and assumption. I do hope that the reasons for the closure were genuine, and are the beginnings of a bright new future (cue fanfare). If this is all just a case of new management pausing to take stock, with a view to improve, then huzzah (or whatever the yell is ).

Time will tell I guess.

Re Francks Efforts with forum

Yes well done to Franck for all his efforts. It is amazing what can be done with plenty of drive and enthusiasm.

If this forum has more cerocers joining from down south then it should make us all seem closer at hand and more in touch with each other. Its nice to know we are not that far away from each other.

In the short time i have been dancing Franck seems to be doing great things for Scotland. Noticed the Leroc Dance last weekend in Glasgow had Lounge Lizard up from London and doing his DJ. Also strutting his stuff with the lovely Sheena (opportunity snapped up) on stage looked great. Plenty of nice disco lights and posters making it feel like a real special dance night packed full of dancers.

If Franck continues to drive forward others have to do likewise and vice versa. The end result is more and better nights for us dancers. Its also great to see Aberdeen and Dundee/Perth making such an effort to be recognised it makes Ceroc scotland trully Scottish and not just Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Pity about London Forum i just hope the new owners realise that dancing is all about having fun and enjoying each others company, we are all special to each other as fellow dancers

Re: Re Francks Efforts with forum

Originally posted by michael
    Pity about London Forum i just hope the new owners realise that dancing is all about having fun and enjoying each others company, we are all special to each other as fellow dancers
    That is so true. I think that enjoying each others company has been the biggest plus for the whole dance scene for me. I love walking in and seeing loads of smiling faces that I know. Makes you feel special and makes the whole evenings dancing so enjoyable and with so many new people joining each week, what better way of making friends from all different walks of life.

I must say, that from Beach Boogie, meeting loads of the Scottish crowd, I can say they are the friendliest, nicest bunch of people going, without exception .

Can't wait to see you all again very soon.

Px

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Paul F
    Franck - How much effort is in maintaining a forum. I have no idea you see. Would love to know, for example, how many hours a day you spend moderating
    First of all, I am quite sad to see the London Forum closed as I feel it was starting to provide a very useful service in London!

Secondly, a huge welcome to all London Forum members, I'm sure we can provide you with a temporary home, and make you feel at home!

Finally to answer your question above, the Forum is very time consuming, just reading / monitoring all the posts takes ages, and posting or moderating, makes it a several hours a day / night job. I really enjoy doing it though and I need little sleep, so it's not a problem, more of a labour of love, and I'm glad I don't have to justify the time I spend on it to anyone else!

Franck.

P.S. Thanks to everyone for all the kind words of support, it's greatly appreciated, and I'm sure this Forum will keep growing from strength to strength!

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Re: Re Francks Efforts with forum

Originally posted by Pammy
    I must say, that from Beach Boogie, meeting loads of the Scottish crowd, I can say they are the friendliest, nicest bunch of people going, without exception
    I' would like to agree wholeheartedly to the above, the genuine friendliness in Scotland is what made this forum what it is, and is also one of the reasons I decided to make my home in Scotland 12 years ago, instead of going back to France!

Big cheer for Scotland and the Scottish folk!

Franck.

Re: Re: Re: Re Francks Efforts with forum

Originally posted by Franck

Franck.
    ditto to that from another blow-in

grant

I' would like to agree wholeheartedly to the above, the genuine friendliness in Scotland is what made this forum what it is, and is also one of the reasons I decided to make my home in Scotland 12 years ago, instead of going back to France!

Franck.
    Thats one of the reasons why I would love to get up to Scotland. It makes all the difference. You guys epitomise what dancing should be about.

must qualify my last statement by saying that, of course, there are extremely friendly people south of the border too

Commercial Operator

Franck.
    Every Scot I've met through dancing has been full-on friendly and totally up for it. I'm not surprised so many people have stayed there - and now you've seduced the Tramp

I think it's a Celtic thing. I was in Howth near Dublin last week at a huge regatta. Two crew from another boat were thrown out of their accommodation for being overly rowdy and falling down the stairs drunk with unauthorised guests of the opposite gender - these two were talking in the pub about needing somewhere else to stay and a local guy overheard the conversation and put them up at his house for free

I'm told there's more of us Scots outside Scotland than there are in it. Maybe that's why my grandad moved to Sussex - or maybe he had a premonition about the Tramp moving there

Franck.
    I will agree with that, Blackpool, Hammersmith and Beach Boogie were buzzing because Scotland was there. I have had a great time in Edinburgh and Glasgow and I will be back at every opportunity.

Something must also be said about the Scottish Teachers because great dancers need to learn somewhere and wherever I go dancing in my travels the standard of dancing from you northern folk is really high.

Franck, as all the (residential) dance weekenders seem to be based down here - when are you going to do one in Scotland.

London Forum closing - That means we all get to share opinions in one place, but it would be nice if a link to this forum was now made on the 'old' london forum.

London Forum Closed

Just found out that the London Forum is closed!! Just as it was getting going as well. With luck and a bit of badgering, hopefully it won't be closed for too long.

Thank goodness for Franck is all I can say!

BTW Steve, sadly I cannot accept your gracious invitation to, what sounds like, a fab weekend in Scotland. Another 5:30 alarm call for work on Sunday rather precludes a weekend away. (I hate these early starts, especially on a Sunday, - occupational hazard). Even worse, I may have to duck out of the Chip Squad run because of it.
    Totally impressed you made the journey for Twyford though.

M

Re: Closure of Ceroc London Forum

Temporarily being shut down with a view of relaunching it later in the year.
    Anything come of that?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp
    Ack

It looks like all the people from the London forum are coming and posting on here.

There goes the neighbourhood!!

Steve
    Are all us non-Scots "intruders", then?

And after finding such a good forum too.

Claire xx

The Forum Legend

Not at all.

Just some of you

Anyhow, I'm a non-Scot too. Just trying to get naturalized.... Another 1 year and 11 months, and I'll be able to play for the football team!

Trampy

Anyhow, I'm a non-Scot too. Just trying to get naturalized.... Another 1 year and 11 months, and I'll be able to play for the football team!

Trampy
    Its a big club up here, the non-locals. Maybe I should start charging membership?

And i hate to ask but how long before i'm eligible for the footy? Not that i'm needed, just interested.

Commercial Operator

Another 1 year and 11 months, and I'll be able to play for the football team!

Trampy
    Unlike the lot that are currently eligible to play.......but don't seem to be able...

Thread Information