Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Closure of Ceroc London Forum

The Oracle

Closure of Ceroc London Forum

It seems that the new Ceroc management has taken its first decision. The following message has just been posted on the Ceroc London Forum:

Dear Forum user,

We are very sorry to advise you that due to the lack of interest, this forum as temporarily being shut down with a view of relaunching it later in the year.

Ceroc Enterprises Ltd.

Re: Closure of Ceroc London Forum

Originally posted by DavidB
    We are very sorry to advise you that due to the lack of interest, this forum as temporarily being shut down with a view of relaunching it later in the year. ... Ceroc
    Perhaps they mean the number of people reading it. I seldom saw anyone browsing it at the same time.

The post count at ~2500, the rate of which is probably something around half that of the Ceroc Scotland forum seems very respectable. Compare that with the nice looking forum at South West Swing

They seem to have been reasonably friendly about it though, by leaving access to the previously posted articles.

One thing they might be looking to do, which might fit into corporate goals, would be to print logins and passwords on Ceroc memberships cards.

Ceroc London should just admit defeat, why reinvent the wheel. This forum is the CEROC forum why dont they just link to it!

Blog Entries
    Ceroc London should just admit defeat, why reinvent the wheel. This forum is the CEROC forum why dont they just link to it!
    Hi Jon - think I've seen you on the London forum. I my view is that the London forum had something to offer (but only really for people based in London and dancing in London). It wasn't trying to be a national forum, and it wasn't trying to muscle in on Franck's impressive achievement here (as if it could, anyway!) - it was developing along slightly different lines.

I am surprised that they claim there was a lack of interest. It seemed to me that it was starting to gather its own momentum and mature (some quite interesting threads). My suspicion is that the underlying reason is that they simply don't want a forum in which the punters can air their criticisms of ceroc (whether directly, or indirectly by praising the competition). I doubt it will ever reopen, but if it does, I'm sure it will only be after enough time has elapsed to get some changes through the system.

i would have to agree with claire on this one. I think that the forum was not doing badly, 2,500 posts and getting on for 150 users considering the only promotion was from word or mouth from us guys who posted in there, or those people that spend their time searching through all the ceroclondon website (whihc will mainly be people very new to ceroc who would have much less to say in a forum).

I feel that the reason it has been shut down is likely to lie in other spheres than a lack of interest (personally if I wasin charge and there was a lack of interest you get your teachers and taxis to mention it a few times and voila, interest generated! ) I think anyone that posted there knows the real reason and it is a real shame that it has shut because as u say it was good for london dancers.

Well I for one have met some great ppl and got to know a few other better than b4, which is a good thing. and found out about Bill's bash which was fab.

The Chip squad will go on though!....the ball has started rolling it will not stop!!!

Exclamation

AND!!

we NEVER got erik's top 10!!

Hiya Doc and 'Divi' (such a charming abbreviation ) I have to agree with various elements in both of your posts. I only found the london forum by trawling the site, and as a newbie (to both Ceroc(tm) and the forum) am still finding my stride. If the forum was thought to be slow, then london classes could have brought it to peoples attention with minimum effort. I'm personally grateful that I caught it in time, my first post 'Nervous newbie...' generated the right kind of response to give me the confidence to go to my first ever dance class, more importantly, on my own. As I fully intend to continue ceroc at least three times a week the forum has guaranteed that Ceroc(tm) is earning an extra £84 per month. That's an income not derived from advertising, but the good nature of other 'clients' who used the forum as a means of contact. I would be interested to know how many others were inclined to ceroc(tm) as a result of the forum.

Given that the forum has generated direct income from me, and incidentally indirect income - I'm introducing 4 friends to Ceroc(tm)) one must wonder as to the 'real' reason. Divi (sorry ) may be close to 1 of the reasons. It became obvious to me within 10 mins of finding the post that Ceroc(tm) was taking a Stalinist/protectionist stance towards criticism. It appeared that 'London-HQ' took the view that criticism might drive people away. The critics actually made me more inclined to go (I like a balanced opinion). Criticism has two outcomes (keeping it simple), it improves or it destroys. One either listens to criticisms and addresses them, by change or expalining why no change is forthcoming, or one ignores them and runs away. I sincerely hope that Ceroc(tm), under new management, is not running from criticsm, that IS a beginning of the end.

I hope that there is a genuine reason for the closure, but the lack of warning makes me wonder.

Any mistakes are entirely my own, and I fully appreciate being corrected on any aspect of the rather long rant.

P.S. See ya at Jive bar tomorrow night!

'Ya' being in general, not specific to anyone :-)

i get ya, as u say, I think we all hope it is the beginning of the end as it were (in an entirly good way!)

will be at fulham on thursday this week i think, but i may make it to the jive bar instead.

Anyone off to hammersmith?

The Forum Legend
    Ack

It looks like all the people from the London forum are coming and posting on here.

There goes the neighbourhood!!

Steve

But they cant be! There was no interst in the London board! At least, that what I have been led to believe

'There goes the neighbourhood', yep, the English are comming again! Hold on! That's closer to the truth than I thoght! Hasn'e that happened before, The 'English' (read Normans) powers that be forving the 'English' off their land and forcing them into Scotland...or something like that. Not a good business. anyway, nice to be welcomed

Originally posted by Divissima
    My suspicion is that the underlying reason is that they simply don't want a forum in which the punters can air their criticisms of ceroc (whether directly, or indirectly by praising the competition).
    If this is really this case then how long will it be until pressure is exerted on this forum to toe the party line

grant

The Original Scooby Dave Hancock's Avatar
    Originally posted by Grant
    If this is really this case then how long will it be until pressure is exerted on this forum to toe the party line
    Don't think (and certainly hope) that the party line as you call it shall never be exerted on to this forum. As far as I'm aware it is totally run by Franck who at times has to defend Ceroc from the odd bit of criticism, but I think he does a marvelous job in allowing all people to make their points and he then takes a lot of them on board. Example, 10th yr party in Glasgow was a little disappointing due to overcrowding, so this year he got an absolutely massive floor in Perth (heard one or two people say it was to big!!!), he really can't win.

In addition, he allows people to mention alternative nights and dances such as Route 66 and things which Lindsay is organising. Often these nights don't detract from Ceroc but allow the Scottish dancers a chance to enjoy a slightly different style of dance and music as opposed to the regular Ceroc night. Highlighting these nights can actually enhance Ceroc as sometimes people attend these who have never been to Ceroc, see a load of us having a ball and then think about trying Ceroc.

Anyway starting to ramble, but final word is well done Franck and I trust that this forum shall continue to be run along the lines which we've come to know and love

Originally posted by Dave Hancock
    final word is well done Franck and I trust that this forum shall continue to be run along the lines which we've come to know and love
    i agree

grant

This is the worse news since they closed the weather channel without warning

'Lack of interest' does seem odd as it was never advertised and seem to be building up.

I have no fixed 'home' now

My great great great grandmother visited Scotland and if I promise to vist your wonderful land and spend my tourist pound can I have a permanent place here

Completely agree with Diva. Trampy & Will were talking about this happening at the w-end, but it wasn't til Tony told me last night that I knew it was going ahead.

It's such a shame and to put "lack of interest" on there as the reason; could the "powers that be" not have thought up a better excuse than that, even "re-designing the site due to recent changes at the top" would have been better.

Billco, the pressure is on you now to open one on your site

Originally posted by Pammy
    Billco, the pressure is on you now to open one on your site
    don't know how you keep up with two forums, i have enough trouble with one
    i blame my slow connections...the ones between my ears

grant

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Dave Hancock

Anyway starting to ramble, but final word is well done Franck and I trust that this forum shall continue to be run along the lines which we've come to know and love
    oh dear, got to publically agree with a large brown dumb dog!!! It won't last...but on this one "Hear Hear".

And - perhaps the new, most welcome, Londoners would be awfully kind and introduce themselves in the "By Way of Introduction" thread??
    That way we will know what we're getting!!
    C

Originally posted by Chicklet
    And - perhaps the new, most welcome, Londoners would be awfully kind and introduce themselves in the "By Way of Introduction" thread??
    That way we will know what we're getting!!
    C
    Everyone knows me already I think

Px

To be honest , i started posting on here well before the London one. I like the london one and feel it could have become very useful (as boomer said with maintaining revenue).

I have to agree with the 'no interest' excuse being feeble. Its very easy when you have classes all over london with 100+ (well) people there.

Could it be the level of competition down there?? To many references to other nights?? Or is it simply the case of not having the time to moderate it?

Franck - How much effort is in maintaining a forum. I have no idea you see. Would love to know, for example, how many hours a day you spend moderating

Thread Information