Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: which mobile phone to buy????

Re: which mobile phone to buy????

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Saw this thread - I was thinking of upgrading my phone (a 5 yo Nokia that just did texts and calls which I was happy enough with) when someone gave me their Sony Ericsson K800i (with a 512 memory card) because they were upgrading (to a newer model). And I really like it, not only do I have lots of new features that I didn't have on my old phone (like music and a camera, which seems to be pretty decent) but its been so easy to use (also v easy to put music on). I'm pleased with it so far.
    Also discovered bluetooth (was an easy way to transfer a pic to a friends phone). Would like to connect via bluetooth to my laptop but the bluetooth on/off switch on the laptop itself doesn't seem to work (its beside a wireless on/off switch which does work).

Does this mean I just can't turn bluetooth on on my laptop? Any ideas if there is a way to over-ride this? Is there anything else I should be trying on the mobile to get it to work?

The Dashing Moderator

Also discovered bluetooth (was an easy way to transfer a pic to a friends phone). Would like to connect via bluetooth to my laptop but the bluetooth on/off switch on the laptop itself doesn't seem to work (its beside a wireless on/off switch which does work).

Does this mean I just can't turn bluetooth on on my laptop? Any ideas if there is a way to over-ride this? Is there anything else I should be trying on the mobile to get it to work?
    Lynn,

I have an Acer laptop, and I seem to remember you might have one too?

My Acer has a Bluetooth switch (next to the wireless switch), but when I switch it, it says "No Bluetooth Device". I think this is because there is indeed no Bluetooth device in the laptop. They build laptops with the Bluetooth switch, but not all of them have the option with internal Bluetooth gubbins that actually does anything.

If (like me) you don't have Bluetooth internally, you can get little USB plug-in devices with Bluetooth (or Infrared) which aren't too expensive, and which you should be able to use to communicate with your phone.

Love dance, will travel

Is it possible to buy a mobile phone without all the complexity/size/weight/power consumption of these add-ons?
    Just a plain phone!

Nokia 1208 should fit the bill for a plain phone

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    Lynn,

I have an Acer laptop, and I seem to remember you might have one too?

My Acer has a Bluetooth switch (next to the wireless switch), but when I switch it, it says "No Bluetooth Device". I think this is because there is indeed no Bluetooth device in the laptop. They build laptops with the Bluetooth switch, but not all of them have the option with internal Bluetooth gubbins that actually does anything.

If (like me) you don't have Bluetooth internally, you can get little USB plug-in devices with Bluetooth (or Infrared) which aren't too expensive, and which you should be able to use to communicate with your phone.

Yes, that's the switch I mean. (You have a good memory! )Pretty sure I tried it once when I first got the laptop and the light came on and that isn't happening now so I don't know if its the switch or lack of bluetooth device. Its quite possible it doesn't have bluetooth.

My wireless switch can be pushed forward and it turns on/off then springs back to one side. The bluetooth one is in the middle and doesn't have the same 'springy' feel. Is that how yours is? Just wondering if it the actual switch that is broken (though if it is I'm not sure there is much I could do about it anyway.)

I can plug the phone in via USB and transfer files that way, just though bluetooth would be easier.

Edit - looking at bluetooth devices I'm not seeing any hardware listed so there must be no devices on the laptop. Looks like that is the problem, never mind the switch!

Quote Originally Posted by pmjd View Post
    Nokia 1208 should fit the bill for a plain phone
    no.

key features
    1.) Access phone features quickly and conveniently with One Touch shortcut keys for SMS messaging, calendar, contacts, loudspeaker, and flashlight
    and there are 9 further key features.

Just a mobile phone.

Thanks David, I see I can get a USB thing for just over £10. Now need to decide if I am going to use it enough to buy it!

Must say, it was really easy to use Bluetooth to send a pic to a friends phone last night, do people tend to use it as a way of transferring pics and music from pcs to their mobiles?

The Dashing Moderator

My wireless switch can be pushed forward and it turns on/off then springs back to one side. The bluetooth one is in the middle and doesn't have the same 'springy' feel. Is that how yours is? Just wondering if it the actual switch that is broken (though if it is I'm not sure there is much I could do about it anyway.)
    My switch is to the left of my wireless switch, on the front edge of the laptop. If I push it to the left, it says "No Bluetooth Device", and if I push it to the right, it says "No 3G device". My wireless switch also works by pushing it to the left (and it springs back) so it sounds like it may be slightly different. Anyhow it looks like you've determined what the problem is.
    Love dance, will travel

My switch is to the left of my wireless switch, on the front edge of the laptop. If I push it to the left, it says "No Bluetooth Device", and if I push it to the right, it says "No 3G device". My wireless switch also works by pushing it to the left (and it springs back) so it sounds like it may be slightly different. Anyhow it looks like you've determined what the problem is.
    Sounds exactly the same. But mine doesn't say anything when I push it in either direction so I think the switch itself may be broken too.

Am loving my new phone. I used to think that I was happy with a phone that just sent texts and made calls but its great having music and camera too!

Must say, it was really easy to use Bluetooth to send a pic to a friends phone last night, do people tend to use it as a way of transferring pics and music from pcs to their mobiles?
    Yes - very useful. But do switch off bluetoooth on the phone when it's not in use to save the battery and avoid Bluesnarfing.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    Since I was flooded with replies I did a little digging. I spoke to the guy in the 02 Shop and I think I'm PROBABLY going for the HTC TYTN II ... aka the O2 - XDA Stellar Unless anyone has any good reasons NOT to?
    On my wish-list too!

Quote Originally Posted by RedFox View Post
    On my wish-list too!
    Well I got it today and VERY nice it is too However, I cannot get my contacts back off Bluebook onto it which is most irksome

But it's purty.. and not as big as I remembered. Large enough to use but not totally unwieldy. I think I probably will need a bluetooth headset soon though You end up leaving a nice ear print on the touch screen when you make or answer a call

Yes - very useful. But do switch off bluetoooth on the phone when it's not in use to save the battery and avoid Bluesnarfing.
    Ta, yes just turned it on to transfer pic and then turned it off again.

...If (like me) you don't have Bluetooth internally, you can get little USB plug-in devices with Bluetooth (or Infrared) which aren't too expensive, and which you should be able to use to communicate with your phone.
    You can usually buy the internal Bluetooth gubbins needed off Ebay.

If quite a lot of hassle for slower communications than a cable.

Well I got it today [HTC TYTN II ... aka the O2 - XDA Stellar] and VERY nice it is too

Couldn't find a smilie for 'exceptionally thoroughly jealous' so will have to make to with a few of these...

Hope it continues to met your expectaions!

Couldn't find a smilie for 'exceptionally thoroughly jealous' so will have to make to with a few of these...

Hope it continues to met your expectaions!
    only one small problem... ear smear that is ear prints on the touch screen I think a bluetooth headset is called for

only one small problem... ear smear that is ear prints on the touch screen I think a bluetooth headset is called for
    The things that attach to your ear? I'm sure these are a good idea, in practical terms, but have yet to see someone wearing one that doesn't look like something off Startrek.

The things that attach to your ear? have yet to see someone wearing one that doesn't look like something off Startrek.
    Do you honestly think that's going to be a problem for me? This is the geek threads area after all

Do you honestly think that's going to be a problem for me? This is the geek threads area after all
    I could even see it being seen as a bonus...

Beo - you said you had a Sony Ericsson K800i at one point. Can I ask a question? In settings I can have 'New Events' either as 'Activity menu' or 'Pop-up'. I like the Pop-up option esp as I have pics for some of my friends and that comes up as well. But it seems as if since turning that option on, my call listing isn't showing up. I only mind about this for missed calls - it will say missed calls but when I go to the calls list there are no new calls listed (since 18th March).

Did me changing the New Events to pop-up turn this off or have I done something else strange and can I have it so that it lists past calls and I can have the pop up option?

TIA

Beo - you said you had a Sony Ericsson K800i at one point. Can I ask a question? In settings I can have 'New Events' either as 'Activity menu' or 'Pop-up'. I like the Pop-up option esp as I have pics for some of my friends and that comes up as well. But it seems as if since turning that option on, my call listing isn't showing up. I only mind about this for missed calls - it will say missed calls but when I go to the calls list there are no new calls listed (since 18th March).
    OK - its nothing to do with the 'New Events' settings but it just won't list any calls.

I get a 'Missed calls' message but when I try to view then it - nothing (just has that call from 18th March). Someone called me tonight, left a message (so last number to call me was my message service) and prob assumed their number would be listed but it wasn't.

Help! Any ideas what I might have done to accidentally turn this off and how I can turn it on again?

Thread Information