Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: which mobile phone to buy????

which mobile phone to buy????

My mobile seems to be dying a death so I need to get another one. What phone have you got and would you recommend I buy one. I dont need anything flashy just one that doesn't keep losing signal and actually allows my text messages to come through the same day. I want to stay on 02 too. I was thinking of buying a Sony Ericsson but would love to see what you all think first.

Re: which mobile phone to buy????

Mini Mac had a Sony Erickson until I broke it and it worked very well.

It was the third Model she had had.

We now have Nokias. My New one is less receptive than the old one!

Also, Networks are often problematic regardless of the model of phone. T Mobile gets just about everywhere. I moved from 02 due to network coverage problems but that was some time ago. Hope tha helps

Commercial Operator

Nokia 6310i

Not exactly up-to-date, and very much frill-free, but the best mobile phone I've ever used - wouldn't change mine for the world (or even for a free iPhone)

I was out on the Glencoe hills the weekend before last, me and my Samsung D600 got soaked; I survived the ordeal but my D600 didn't. I was due an upgrade from Orange anyway so I wasn't bothered until Orange told me the upgrade to a Nokia N95 would cost £249, I thought I'd heard the funniest joke ever but the lassie in the call centre told me she was serious. I tried to tell her I'd been with Orange for over 15 years, she said she could see that on her screen but there was nothing she could do about it.
    I'm now with T-Mobile and have an N95 for £45 up-front and a £30 flexT contract giving £180 worth of calls/texts per month and loving it, a SanDisk mini sd card cost me £12 from Amazon and I've downloaded the European Map onto it for its GPS functions, I also like its ability to connect to my wireless LAN.
    If you're looking for a top of the range 'phone, IMO, I don't think you'd better an N95. The only thing I don't like about it is its inability to show my own number (I'll Just have to try to remember it!)

Twirlie Bird's just brought me a MDA Vario for a treat... what a lucky boy I am. I'll report back when I've had a play with it. Looks way better than my old Nokia though

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    Twirlie Bird's just brought me a MDA Vario for a treat... what a lucky boy I am. I'll report back when I've had a play with it. Looks way better than my old Nokia though
    But it's not a mobile phone, it's a PDA with a 'phone & camera bolted onto it

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

I always loved nokia but my last phone was a samsung and i hated it. I went to get my upgrade today and went in wanting a nokia. I ended up coming out with a the new sony erickson W580i. It comes in a few different colours, i got the blue. Not that that is the important thing.

Anyway i got home and started playing with it and it is fab i am glad i choose it. It also has sims 2 on it as a game and its really addictive.

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    Twirlie Bird's just brought me a MDA Vario for a treat..
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Doolan View Post
    But it's not a mobile phone, it's a PDA with a 'phone & camera bolted onto it
    it does look good. But this highlights my current problem. I have a great phone (been a die hard Sony Ericsson fan for a while now.. ever since I lost faith in Nokia) and I use a separate PDA (my old and clunky HP IPAQ H5550 with 4gb SD Card)

now upgrading at the moment isn't really an option (Due to financial constraints) but I'm finding it nigh on impossible to buy a straight PDA !! I don't want a PDA with mobile phone!.. I don't want a PDA with camera! I certainly don't want a PDA with GPS !!

I like my technology like I like my Food... I want main course and dessert both very fulfilling, appealing and tasty but kept totally separate !

my advice.. get a Sony Ericsson. I have the K800i and Love it.. great phone !! Not the most up to date model (as Ducasi kept telling me on the last "what phone should I get thread") but it does me a treat

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    now upgrading at the moment isn't really an option (Due to financial constraints) but I'm finding it nigh on impossible to buy a straight PDA !! I don't want a PDA with mobile phone!.. I don't want a PDA with camera! I certainly don't want a PDA with GPS !!
    Tapwave Zodiac 2. Best PDA ever made. (IMOFO)
    Last edited by straycat; 24th-September-2007 at 11:05 AM.

I'll chip in to the buy SonyEricsson of things. I used to have them then tried a couple of nokia phones again, the 6630 and 6680, because they were smartphones that could do a few fancy things. But eventually I got fed up with the size, keypad spacing (as I was starting to send more text messages than I used to), poor battery life & warnings and the general slowness of the phone.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a SonyEricsson K810i, which is a slightly updated version of Beo's phone (scarily enough when even have the same text message ringtone!). So far I am very happy with it, especially it's predictive text which adapts to you very well (unlike the nokias I had). Great camera and keys are well spaced (for me anyway).

Out of all the phones I've had I say SonyEricsson's were the best. Nokias were alright but a bit lacking lately. Never tried Samsung phones, most folk seem to like them but a friend recently got the U600, which has touch sensitive controls that can be overly sensitive and is driving her a bit mad. Briefly had a Motorola V500 and as far as I'm concerned it was the spawn of Satan, so I sold it fairly quickly and went back to SonyEricsson.

Missy D do you have a particular phone in mind? I got my K810i from Ebay, where it was being sold as an unwanted upgrade, and got it a lot cheaper than buying direct.

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    Tapwave Zodiac 2. Best PDA ever made. (IMOFO)
    Ah yes.. a few years back I may have agreed with you. Had my Palm OS Tungsten T3.

but alas for the same reasons I'm a die hard Windoze user I'm also a died in the wool Pocket PC user. I develop applications for the Windows platform.. be that Windows desktop or Pocket PC/Windows mobile.

it does look nice though. I'd sell my soul for a Pocket PC that's as friendly as a PalmOS device.. sadly, It's not to be.

I've got a old Nokia 6230i lying around in a drawer somewhere. Got the charger for it somewhere too.

Let me know if anyone wants it

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    it does look nice though. I'd sell my soul for a Pocket PC that's as friendly as a PalmOS device.. sadly, It's not to be.
    I just wish Palm would get their arses in gear and come out with a PDA that can actually compete with what should, by rights, be a three-year-defunct Palm wannabe, rather than the best PalmOS device ever made. Until they (or someone else) succeeds in this, I'm staying happily out-of-date on the PDA front, as well as on the phone front.

Sorry. Getting further off-topic. You could always wait for the iPhone to come out, Missy D (although even I think that one's over-priced)

Further reflections on Why I Like the Nokia 6310i
    1. It's utterly reliable.
    2. It has a lovely keypad that's very easy to use (unlike many mobiles)
    3. It has a ridiculously long battery life
    4. It has no camera, polyphonic ringtones, colour screen or anything else that I never wanted in a phone anyway.
    5. It's extremely robust
    6. Being an old-school Nokia, the interface is very simple and easy to use.
    7. It does have Bluetooth, which means it can talk to my PDA, which means I can handwrite all my text messages. Not that this would matter to most, but I'm odd like that, or so people tell me.

I have a Nokia 6300 and would highly recommend it.

As an ex-owner of a few Sony Ericsson phones, and the owner of an incredible all-singing, all-dancing Nokia phone, I'd recommend a Sony Ericsson – probably the K810i, but they have lots of other good ones out at the moment.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

Has anyone updated their mobile recently?

Thought I'd resurect this thread as my mobile is showing signs of kicking the bucket

Any recommendations most appreciated

What sorts of features do you want?
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by Northants Girly View Post
    Has anyone updated their mobile recently?
    Thought I'd resurect this thread as my mobile is showing signs of kicking the bucket
    Any recommendations most appreciated
    A friend was showing me his new Nokia 5310 yesterday, it is very slim and sexy
    For only £80 at carphone warehouse if bought with vodaphone airtime I'm very tempted.

Anyone got one of these? My friend said he liked his and has been happily using it for a couple of month now.

I recently upgraded my old dead sony ericson (it lasted 13 months till the buttons on it died) the phone shop recommended and gave me the samsung U600 which was total rubbish it has touch sensitive buttons i was continually rejecting calls each time i took it out of my pocket
    they changed it for the samsung G600 which so far has been great and for those that want a camera it has a 5Mp one built in which isnt too bad for a phone camera

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    What sorts of features do you want?
    Something not too big, decentish camera. Not too bothered about mobile internet etc

oh - and something cheap cos I'm good at loosing phones and having them nicked

Thread Information