Thread: List of moves by leading difficulty ratings

List of moves by leading difficulty ratings

Quote:Simon Selmon has called moves that both partners have to know 'educated' moves.

Moving on from the bare minimum moves concept i just wondered if anyone has a breakdown of moves as in how difficult they are to lead

There are one or two moves that seem easy to lead whilst others look easy but somehow are not?

A difficulty rating might allow you to find your level of leading at the stage you are at ie, hopeless, so so or whatever. I often find that out with another beginner than with an experienced dancer as the vast majority of females are too polite to say you have not led that move or havent a clue what you are expecting me to do?

I know we are all different and some dancers would be offended if told off, but surely its better that YOU know rather than every other female except you.

I've got my own list that I try to keep updateed with each week's moves - in this I try to rate them as follows:
    0 - easy to lead ; lady can be given no doubt as to where they sould be/go
    1 - standard ; if lady picks up an offered hand or follows smaller leads then the move is easaly led
    2 - difficult ; move requires a known sigal or the lady to have knowledge as to what is expected of her (dips, leans...)
    3 - impossable ; requires all of the above, and verbal instructions (normally airials)

Most moves I rate as category 1, but things like the pretzels and tunnels I give a 1.5 due to the ease of tying each other in knots. :sorry

Originally posted by Gadget
    I've got my own list that I try to keep updateed with each week's moves - in this I try to rate them as follows:
    0 - easy to lead ; lady can be given no doubt as to where they sould be/go
    1 - standard ; if lady picks up an offered hand or follows smaller leads then the move is easaly led
    2 - difficult ; move requires a known sigal or the lady to have knowledge as to what is expected of her (dips, leans...)
    3 - impossable ; requires all of the above, and verbal instructions (normally airials)
    I have a similar system (although I generally simply call moves choreographed or non-choreographed), but as I don;t have a regular fixed partner to practice with I almost automatically go through a process of taking the more choreographed (or 'specific signal') moves and either transposing 'em so they can be 'led' or working out the simplest way to explain it mid-dance.

eg, for drops that are similar to ones already done with that partner but which require a specific handhold, dancing in a gently interactive way and seeing if the handhold can be achieved 'naturally'; or for dramtic moves requiring gestures on the part of the lady, figuring out a short explanatory phrase that can be thrown in with a smile. Both these require back-ups into other moves of course in case they don't 'take'! :sorry

Hee..

All my moves fall into either

2 - difficult or 3 - impossible but then that's just me and my bad leading.

:sorry

Thread Information